• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tritium sign disposal

tbullo

Superunknown
Has anyone here delt with doing a Tritium sign disposal? Was it worth it, or too much red tape? I have a customer that need 20 or so signs removed and replaced.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Sounds like a company that's licensed in hazmat should be used. As I read it, it's not a matter of if you should, it's a matter of it being legal for you to do it.
"To dispose of a sign properly, a general licensee must transfer the sign to a specific licensee—such as a manufacturer, distributor, licensed radioactive"

MikePro

id imagine every region has someone that deals with hazardous waste disposal. Just get a quote from your local ADCO and add it to your exit sign replacement quote.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
They are regulated for use and disposal on the federal level. You don't want to be the last one known to have custody and not have any documentation of what happened to them. And like Notareal said, keep the documentation filed away.

There are companies that take them for disposal or recycling, Veolia is one that we've used in the past, contact them, or any other hazardous waste disposal company in your area, or the manufacturer (they'll sometimes take them back for recycling). Get any cost associated, and add it to your quote/ bill.

Notarealsignguy

They are regulated for use and disposal on the federal level. You don't want to be the last one known to have custody and not have any documentation of what happened to them. And like Notareal said, keep the documentation filed away.

There are companies that take them for disposal or recycling, Veolia is one that we've used in the past, contact them, or any other hazardous waste disposal company in your area, or the manufacturer (they'll sometimes take them back for recycling). Get any cost associated, and add it to your quote/ bill.

It's likely not cheap either, it costs us $700 a pop to get rid of waste paint. Make sure to also check the quantity because over a certain amount will require you to have a haz waste ID # and with something radioactive I would bet the number is low. Essentially you step up from a conditionally exempt small quantity generator to the big leagues and you do not want that.

tbullo

Superunknown
Thanks for all the replies. These little signs are pricey, they need the 20 year ones.

Notarealsignguy

Don't mean to hijack the thread here but does anyone know if tritium exit signs are listed for use in class 1 division 1 areas? I have looked before but never found an answer or anything about it in the NEC.

Notarealsignguy

Let me post this again for ya. Straight from the NRC
Tritium EXIT signs must NOT be disposed of as normal trash. To dispose of a sign properly, a general licensee must transfer the sign to a specific licensee—such as a manufacturer, distributor, licensed radioactive waste broker or licensed low-level radioactive waste disposal facility. These facilities may charge a fee for disposing of the sign.

Within 30 days of disposing of a sign, the general licensee must file a report to the NRC or Agreement State. More information about the regulatory requirements for tritium exit signs can be found at 10 CFR Part 31.5.

Notarealsignguy

I don't know what in the world you read in order to get your info on things but this is from the EPA
No radiation is emitted from a working, unbroken, tritium exit sign. Tritium gas is typically contained in small glass vials, so damage to tritium exit signs is most likely to occur when a sign is dropped during installation or smashed in the demolition of a building. If a tritium exit sign is damaged, the tritium could be released.

Tritium emits beta particles. Beta particles can be stopped by a layer of clothing or by a thin layer of aluminum. Beta particles are most harmful when inhaled or swallowed. Internal contamination occurs when people swallow or breathe in radioactive materials, or when radioactive materials enter the body through an open wound or are absorbed through the skin. Learn the radiation basics.

If a tritium exit sign is broken, never tamper with it. Leave the area immediately and call for help. At school, you should report the damaged sign to a teacher, janitor or someone in the main office. In other buildings, you can report the problem to a security guard. Tritium must be inhaled or ingested in large amounts to pose a significant health risk.

Unwanted tritium exit signs may not be put into ordinary trash; they require special disposal. Tritium exit signs that are illegally put in ordinary landfills can break and contaminate the site. Owners of buildings are responsible for ensuring the safe operation and disposal of tritium exit signs.

Signarama Jockey

Yeah, the quote I posted was from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I guess I was taking them at their word when they said "The signs pose little or no threat to public health and safety or security." and "If inhaled, it leaves the body relatively quickly."

...but what would they know about regulating nuclear material?

Notarealsignguy

Yeah, the quote I posted was from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I guess I was taking them at their word when they said "The signs pose little or no threat to public health and safety or security." and "If inhaled, it leaves the body relatively quickly."

...but what would they know about regulating nuclear material?
So you read what you wanted to hear and stopped? It's called context, "The signs pose little or no threat to public health and safety or security" key words here: little and public health. You are arguing with fairly common knowledge. Like with the last discussion, you fail to realize depth. What about the trash guy who gets stuck loading 50 of these broken things after a major renovation or the shop goon (is that you?) that likes to smash them when they chuck them in the dumpster? It's just like asbestos, it poses no imminent risk to the public but to anyone that has to work with it or dispose of it faces a real problem in the long term. Same with benzene in gas, general contact won't hurt you but daily prolonged contact will.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmmm......the very article you used totally explains how the sign must be dealt with when retiring it from use. It's like the next paragraph down. I must agree, you don't tend to be thorough in doing your homework. Is this a product or something left over from your early learning days ?? Most anyone knows these conditions about this type of sign, as it is tagged on each and every sign, so there's are no mistakes made.

Signjockey, tell me, if you know this fact or not. Sintra, a type of PVC product, used largely in the sign industry has encapsulated lead in it ?? Sound safe to be selling by the distributors around the country ??

Signarama Jockey

You two are still salty.

I simply asked a question; not even that - I just wondered.

I thought that we buried the hatchet. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

Notarealsignguy

You two are still salty.

I simply asked a question; not even that - I just wondered.

I thought that we buried the hatchet. Why are you trying to pick a fight?
I'm sweet (or so says texassignmaker), Gino is salty (also per texassignmaker). You made a statement not a question unless I missed something. I don't question my sanity very often but this is throwing me for a loop.

Signarama Jockey

I'm sweet (or so says texassignmaker), Gino is salty (also per texassignmaker). You made a statement not a question unless I missed something. I don't question my sanity very often but this is throwing me for a loop.
I said: "From what I read, Tritium signs aren't hazardous. I wonder why they have so much regulation."

Now I have you and Gino piling on me. You called me a "shop goon". Gino said "...you don't tend to be thorough in doing your homework. Is this a product or something left over from your early learning days ??"

You two are clearly still angry. You could have said "Well, I guess the EPA thinks that they are hazardous enough to warrant special handling, even if they aren't dangerous in most cases. Probably a CYA thing, but it's the law, what are we gonna do?", but instead you launch into "I don't know what in the world you read in order to get your info on things" and then try to turn it into a fight.

I don't want to fight with you. Can we please just treat each other the way we would like to be treated?