• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two Color Touching Bleed Set up

Copierguy

Looking for best way to do set up Bleed for when two colors(let's say Black and red) are touching so that when the file is sent to cut there isn't thin leftover lines of one of the colors. the current way I have to do it is to go to the crossover point and choose one color and draw a triangle from the touch point out to one one side to add a sliver of color. Doing this doesn't always seem to work and we still get some slivers, so just trying to figure if that is the only way to get this done or if there is a technical way to get it to properly cut?
thanks in advance
Tim

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Those are a Pita! I'll usually make a new layer behind the artwork just for the bleed. There will always be the corner where the colors meet that if the plotter is off, it might look wonkey.

Copierguy

Here are pics of what I am speaking about. the one labeled "ISSUE without BLEED" shows what should look like once cut. Image labeled Issue with BLEED shows how I have to add extra triangle or shapes to basically halve the two colors where they touch. Image labeled Full word shows the two color word in the image.

Attachments

• Full Word.JPG
    Full Word.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 80
  • Issue with BLEED.JPG
    Issue with BLEED.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Issue without BLEED.JPG
    Issue without BLEED.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 76

victor bogdanov

Here are pics of what I am speaking about. the one labeled "ISSUE without BLEED" shows what should look like once cut. Image labeled Issue with BLEED shows how I have to add extra triangle or shapes to basically halve the two colors where they touch. Image labeled Full word shows the two color word in the image.
I just negative offset the cut line a bit, never noticed a problem this way. -.05" or so depending on the size of the design

Copierguy

I just negative offset the cut line a bit, never noticed a problem this way. -.05" or so depending on the size of the design
So are you saying don't add the extra bleed, split in the middle where the 2 colors touch, and just do an offset of -.05 for the cut line in the file that is sent to my actual cutter?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you're using Illustrator, use the "offset path" function. It will create a bleed of whatever size you want.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I also drop the bleed under the art. Unless it's something or someone that is real particular, I just leave the overlap. Never liked doing an inside offset, it seems like a dirty way to make a bleed IMO.

Boudica

If you're using Illustrator, use the "offset path" function. It will create a bleed of whatever size you want.
I've personally never messed/tried with "offset paths" functions before. As a graphics person before learning to be a production person, my go to is how to set up the artwork "properly". The altering offset paths tools area is new to me, because it never has been necessary to monkey with.
Now I need to explore it. In my spare time lol

Boudica

How would you create a small sticker that has a white outline without using offset path?

offset path is a tool I use on just about every job

View attachment 167052
you are now off topic to the op... but what you are showing... how would I do that?

On the exact trace cutpath, I'd Create an outer stroke set to "x" measurement, and then expand the path, delete the inner part, and there is my "offset " cutpath. Probably smooth out, simplify, the path as well. Perhaps this is the long way... I'm always up for learning a better way...
But we are discussing how to have an artwork bleed past the cut path... inside, not outside. Is it really that simple to reasonably offset inside a giant vector logo... say... 48" where colors meet. What's the easiest way to set that up.

victor bogdanov

you are now off topic to the op... but what you are showing... how would I do that?

On the exact trace cutpath, I'd Create an outer stroke set to "x" measurement, and then expand the path, delete the inner part, and there is my "offset " cutpath. Probably smooth out, simplify, the path as well. Perhaps this is the long way... I'm always up for learning a better way...
But we are discussing how to have an artwork bleed past the cut path... inside, not outside. Is it really that simple to reasonably offset inside a giant vector logo... say... 48" where colors meet. What's the easiest way to set that up.
2.jpg

I think negative offset path is hard to beat. This example was made from a pretty bad original cutpath so would be better if made from a good original cutpath

Boudica

View attachment 167054

I think negative offset path is hard to beat. This example was made from a pretty bad original cutpath so would be better if made from a good original cutpath
While this is a less than ideal situation of an example... if this was 3" tall... ok. Good enough.
Now, If this was 3' tall... I would want a lot more bleed... outside the original graphic. I'm also visualizing a more complex graphic. I've been here, produced it. It can be done, but it's a pita.

victor bogdanov

While this is a less than ideal situation of an example... if this was 3" tall... ok. Good enough.
Now, If this was 3' tall... I would want a lot more bleed... outside the original graphic. I'm also visualizing a more complex graphic. I've been here, produced it. It can be done, but it's a pita.
I cut full rolls with this amount of bleed on my Graphtec, some of the designs are 10ft. Cuts pretty much dead on the entire roll as long as I use the flange system.

You could throw a positive offset bleed behind this for added peace of mind too