• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wrap

Tovis

Curious, do many of you do an over-lam when doing a vehicle wrap or just apply the vinyl strait on.

peavey123

Coming from other forums on the web I always think these posts are just trolls. A common sense question with poor spelling, but this is normal for S101 right?
So, yes we laminate our vinyl for wraps and most everything except very short term applications and even then we laminate just because we can.

Tovis

Not a troll, I have not done a full wrap but have done other applications. Just wondering what others do.

allamericantrade

I use solvent inks supposedly they last 3 years without lam. Any thing I want to last more than 3 months is laminated anyway. I wouldn't dream of doing a wrap without laminating, that would be insanity.

Tovis

When I use to apply letters and decals to vehicles at a sign show they would always spray them with something, a laminating sounds much better.

I remember we also use to do wet applications with some things, do you usually do wet applications with wraps or do you do it dry.

Msrae

Rae
There are several different wrap "classes" offered. I took one from Oracal that was offered locally. It still only barely scratches the surface, but it is a good start. You can learn a lot from them, like types of vinyl, what not to do etc.

OlsonSigns601

If you can't afford a class...

Contact another shop that does wraps, someone well out of your market and ask them if you can help with some wraps.

Chances are if they aren't a Dick, they'll let you come in watch and help out.

That's how I did it.

Flame

Didn't you used to work at Gerber?

Yeah, wraps take a LOT of practice, go on dry, laminate is a MUST, no cheapy material, and really helps if you have a 2nd person to help hold the pieces.

ProWraps

Yeah, wraps take a LOT of practice, go on dry, laminate is a MUST, no cheapy material, and really helps if you have a 2nd person to help hold the pieces.

all the above except the last part. i work alone and i wrap one piece sides on every vehicle. two people on a panel sucks!

Flame

all the above except the last part. i work alone and i wrap one piece sides on every vehicle. two people on a panel sucks!

Small vehicles I prefer myself but a lot of vehicles I like a 2nd person. ESPECIALLY trailers (my main gig). Even if it's doing nothing but just holding while I position, but hey everyone's got their own style at this stuff.

Maybe it's just cuz I'm not in your league though lol