• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vehicle Wrap

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
my first wrap took a lot of practice before hand ... my boss at the time thought I was a loon for taking scraps from jobs past and wrapping everything (powerade bottles, the fridge, work stools, couple tool boxes, etc, etc) ... learned a lot ... between that and 2 wrapping dvds my first wrap (which was solo btw) came out decent, couple trouble spots, but otherwise came out nice.

practice practice practice and decide if you like the skill set and patience needed for wrapping stuff.

HulkSmash

Yea laminate with cast lam. With cast vinyl. Others will tell you calendered is ok for some wraps. No. It's not. You will not be wrapping for long if you do that. Also you can wrap anything solo. As long as it isn't outside during a hurricane.

Msrae

Rae
Didn't you used to work at Gerber?

Yeah, wraps take a LOT of practice, go on dry, laminate is a MUST, no cheapy material, and really helps if you have a 2nd person to help hold the pieces.

:goodpost:

all the above except the last part. i work alone and i wrap one piece sides on every vehicle. two people on a panel sucks!

I just completed my first solo, but I have to admit, I like having a second set of hands to help out on some of the larger panels. Maybe as I get more practice and get better this will change.

Yea laminate with cast lam. With cast vinyl. Others will tell you calendered is ok for some wraps. No. It's not. You will not be wrapping for long if you do that. Also you can wrap anything solo. As long as it isn't outside during a hurricane.

yeah, tried wrapping a hood outside while it was pretty windy. Won't do that one again.

DO NOT even attempt a wrap unless you have top materials. You will just waste a lot of cuss words and time. I've now worked with Oracal, 3M and Hexis. I think so far the 3M is my absolute favorite. Doing a Ford Focus in the matte gray currently. Try using some of the plain color wrap material (3m 1080 or Oracal 970RA) if you want to practice. No worry of matching up prints or panels.

Mosh

I DON'T LAM AND USE LOTS OF SOAPY WATER....AND IN THE SAME SHOP
I DO ALL MY WOODCARVING IN. DON'T WORRY ABOUT A LITTLE SAW-DUST, IT WILL COME OUT OF THERE WHEN THE SUN DRYES THE VINYL ON. I ONLY USE THE CHEAPEST FILM AND LAM I CAN GET ` HOPE THIS HELPS! (Har har)

CheapVehicleWrap

I DON'T LAM AND USE LOTS OF SOAPY WATER....AND IN THE SAME SHOP
I DO ALL MY WOODCARVING IN. DON'T WORRY ABOUT A LITTLE SAW-DUST, IT WILL COME OUT OF THERE WHEN THE SUN DRYES THE VINYL ON. I ONLY USE THE CHEAPEST FILM AND LAM I CAN GET ` HOPE THIS HELPS! (Har har)

You joke about cheapness but aware it's very serious issue

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Also you can wrap anything solo. As long as it isn't outside during a hurricane.

you can ... just takes some practice ... worst day i ever worked was when a tropical storm was passing through orlando ... customer needed his vehicle on monday, it was friday with the front half to finish wrapping and wouldn't have seen the vehicle for another month. ... storm was going to hit sat morning. ... I wrapped that SUV in 40-70 mph wind ... most stressful time ever ... got it done ... looked like i did it in a clean room ... makes everything else seem like a cake walk. (also was probably my 10th wrap too so that helped.)