• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website revisions

jkdbjj

Probably not going to be able to get any feedback on my site without the thread going to crap, but I will try one last time for anyone interested in giving feedback.

I have updated my portfolio so it is in sections, rather than one page slowly loading all the pics.
I changed the home page completely.
I still have a few pages to develop for the products, but overall I am happy with how it is going.

Other than calling me names, I'd be interesting in feedback about the site. If no one is interested, and I don't get any responses that are about the site specifically. I will simply take my cue and stop coming here. Either way, I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

Thanks.

http://www.vivisual.com

Christian @ 2CT Media

Honest Opinion: In the age of templates, its the most standard of templates. Our website started that way... I immediately took it down and we are in the process of having a company build our site, We are supposed to be a creative business in a creative industry and an off the shelf look doesn't cut it for me.

But I feel it gets the point across and has lots of info.

jkdbjj

Honest Opinion: In the age of templates, its the most standard of templates. Our website started that way... I immediately took it down and we are in the process of having a company build our site, We are supposed to be a creative business in a creative industry and an off the shelf look doesn't cut it for me.

But I feel it gets the point across and has lots of info.
I am not using a template though. But I guess I understand your point. The one element I am trying to figure out how to do, is make the site less linear, less rectangle straight laced looking.

I think part of that is maybe making elements overlap onto other areas, to break up the monotony of the layout. Do you agree?

SignManiac

That's the problem with canned template sites or those that look that way. One reason I decided to create my own, with my own specific vision. I wanted something that made a statement about my passion for quality design. It's done extremely well for me. If it generated anymore work, I would not be able to keep up with the workload.

www.skywatchsigns.com

jkdbjj

Actually before the police get me, I did actually start with a template, but I have tried to destroy it as much as possible. So that is more technically correct. I completely redid the menu, the portfolio, the header, area header and page content area.

Problem is though as you all are suggesting, is no style is breaking up the underlining template feel.

I am going to have to really break the layout up to get rid of that feel. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I think we get so happy with what we are doing we need the extra eyes.

jkdbjj

That's the problem with canned template sites or those that look that way. One reason I decided to create my own, with my own specific vision. I wanted something that made a statement about my passion for quality design. It's done extremely well for me. If it generated anymore work, I would not be able to keep up with the workload.

www.skywatchsigns.com
Cool, yes your site does NOT look like a template.
Good to hear it is working for you!

I like your portfolio system. The only thing it was doing buggy, is every time I click on an image the page shifts back up all the way. Any idea why it does that on your portfolio?

jkdbjj

No idea. Maybe a browser issue. The first I've heard.
I see now, I tried it on both IE and Firefox. You have it set up so that only a mouseover will change the graphic in the display section. However, if someone clicks on the image, cause people tend to click, the page resets back to the top of the screen.

Anyway, I am sure that is not an issue for anyone, so forgive me for bringing it up. Still nice work you are doing!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Its ok to use a template, why reinvent the wheel when it comes to the mechanics of the site... but you have to have one unified vision and brand the site your own. Customize the objects on the page to look like something other than square, rectangle, or circles...

good examples of site in my neck of the woods are www.azprosigns.com and www.sgx2.com

qmr55

What's up with the buggy text on the logo and all the content text on the home page image (the one that goes between two different things)?

It is just missing something, not sure what....but something needs to be added to it or changed. If I can put my eye on it, I will get back to ya.

jkdbjj

What's up with the buggy text on the logo and all the content text on the home page image (the one that goes between two different things)?

It is just missing something, not sure what....but something needs to be added to it or changed. If I can put my eye on it, I will get back to ya.

I'm definitely having font issues. I know I don't want just one font, but I also don't want a million fonts. I need to narrow it down to 2 or three fonts, and I haven't done that yet. I'll see if I can't tighten that up.

qmr55

I'm definitely having font issues. I know I don't want just one font, but I also don't want a million fonts. I need to narrow it down to 2 or three fonts, and I haven't done that yet. I'll see if I can't tighten that up.

No no no I mean the text isn't crisp, like around the edges, looks very low quality.

HulkSmash

nice site. i thought the 888 number was only for the billboard to track profit? also, did you do the site or did you have someone else do it? looks good.

just put it up. Didnt want to miss out on all the other business it could generate. We typically ask how did you h ear about us, or they straight up tell us. "OH MY GAWD I SAW YOUR BILLBOARD"

qmr55

just put it up. Didnt want to miss out on all the other business it could generate. We typically ask how did you h ear about us, or they straight up tell us. "OH MY GAWD I SAW YOUR BILLBOARD"

Smart move I believe.

So did it pay for itself yet?

jkdbjj

I got some feedback from another community to get rid of all the underlines on the links, and simply add a color to the links. I used the code in the CSS to do that.

a {
text-decoration: none;
}

I think it does look cleaner.

ucmj22

I'd say scrap it and start new. not that its terrible or anything, just doesn't have any personality. Try sketching out a story board on graph paper, or at least make a mockup in illustrator that way it is really easy to go through the options available. dont try and design your website based on your limitations in dreamweaver (or whatever youre using), design it how you want it, and then make it work in dreamweaver.

HaroldDesign

I noticed this line, and it should read; "Our customers know..."
Also, *successful

As most of our customers know, we go out of our way to make their projects succesful.