• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What drill and drill bits are best used to put holes in walls?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Although it gives me a high level of tool envy I like to see what "Toys" Moze posts.

• Agree
Reactions: vid

Sign Works

"Rotary Hammer" NOT hammer drill. This Bosch Bulldog SDS Rotary hammer should suit you just fine for only $199 at you guessed it Home Depot. That's actually less than what it cost 20 years ago.

Attachments

• e4c600c2-e288-488b-90c9-0ec5779511b9_1000.jpg
    e4c600c2-e288-488b-90c9-0ec5779511b9_1000.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 156

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Although it gives me a high level of tool envy I like to see what "Toys" Moze posts.

lol, thanks and sorry GAC05

Here's a quick video of the DeWalt in action. Top layer had leaves and stuff but the ground was actually pretty hard. This is holding the tool with one hand and just supporting it - no pressure applied:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
"Rotary Hammer" NOT hammer drill. This Bosch Bulldog SDS Rotary hammer should suit you just fine for only $199 at you guessed it Home Depot. That's actually less than what it cost 20 years ago.

Definitely a great tool. If I were him, and this wasn't the kind of work he has to do often, I would say get the Ryobi 18v SDS rotary hammer. It would give him the freedom of cordless and he could have the tool and battery for under $200. No extension cords or generators to mess with.

visual800

Moze I did appreciate the arsenal! Sounds like we are on the same track for drilling stuff!

Johnny, please cut down on the drama. Aint nobody gonna make a building fall down because they are drilling into concrete the guy is using tapcons not 12" solid steel tubing as anchors. There was no point in bringing that up. Its a simple sign install Ive done more damage to irrigations lines digging 6" into the earth over 28 years

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With so little to go on, I don't see the harm is having someone suggest some precautions. I don't think the OP will need any of those large tools, but with all the requests, it doesn't hurt to show what one guy has in his arsenal.

For us, I'd rather have all electrical tools and have the power I need, instead of depending on a battery. Like I always say, it's best to have the right tools for the job. We have several generators and the bucket has one built into the system. We have electric, pneumatic tools and cordless tools at our disposal. I generally use the battery tools for driving in screws and the easy stuff.

C'mon, let's see some more displays of tools from Home Depot....... this should make igloo very bappy to see others shopping at her favorite store.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Many corded and gas tools are going to soon be a thing of the past. Many cordless tools are on par with or outperforming their corded counterparts. Battery technology has grown in leaps and bounds. I can drill over one hundred 1/4" x 1½" holes on a single battery with my Bosch. I have six batteries, so basically the capacity to drill over 600 holes. Even if you just bought the kit, you could drill over 200 holes. No cord, no generator, less fatigue, etc.

And now there are cordless SDS Max tools which I never thought I'd see, but their capability is crazy good. The DeWalt I posted can core drill 4" diameter holes and dig piers with ease.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Moze I did appreciate the arsenal! Sounds like we are on the same track for drilling stuff!

Johnny, please cut down on the drama. Aint nobody gonna make a building fall down because they are drilling into concrete the guy is using tapcons not 12" solid steel tubing as anchors. There was no point in bringing that up. Its a simple sign install Ive done more damage to irrigations lines digging 6" into the earth over 28 years

If he is still worried he could invest in one of these:
PS 1000-B X-Scan - Detection Systems - Hilti USA

Plus with this he could set up a sideline business scanning pets for missing objects they may have swallowed.

wayne k
Guam usa

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I use this little booger. Works really well on concrete.

Attachments

• fa89593e-3e58-4ba9-80db-915ed51e63ce_1000.jpg
    fa89593e-3e58-4ba9-80db-915ed51e63ce_1000.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 153

fresh

you NEED a rotary hammer. My partner poo-poo'd us getting one, saying we did not need it. When we got a job installing number signs on an apartment complex, I convinced him it was a good investment, would save time and energy, etc.

Now he uses it on about 50% of all installs.

Cidamiesta

I’ve successfully used lead anchors, drilled into the brick, to hold shelves on the party walls of my house, where the plaster is applied directly to the brick. The shelves fell on my first attempt because the anchors I used were too short and only penetrated the plaster. Longer lead anchors did the trick. If you’re going to use anchors on exterior walls they’ll have to be VERY long to penetrate the plaster and lath, go through the narrow air space, and penetrate the brick. I wonder if anchors like that are available? Find more details