• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Hammer Drill do I Buy

Drip Dry

We've been using the standard 18v Dewalt hammer drills from Home Depot

They always seem to be a struggle with making a hole. My guys not a small guy, but sometimes I think he would do better with a hammer and chisel.
I assume you shouldn't have to put so much pressure to make it work. Seems to me that the drill should do all the work.

I've seen others using tiny ones that almost fit in the palm of their hands and go in like butter. I don't know the brand.

So, is there better type of mechanism that I should be looking at (or brand). Should I consider a corded type ?

CentralSigns

Sounds like you have the right tool. Dewalt, Makita or any others of the big tool names will last longer. 18v is what you want. Cordless is good, but with them you need worry about battery life. So buy one with several batteries included. Some the batteries can be charged in 15 min. Some make offer a regular drill with a hammer drill. Once you pick a brand, often many big brands offer a wide range of tools all working on the same batteries then once you have several tools you have 3-4 batteries. Drills are sized by torque ask the salesperson to help pick a drill for the uses you want.

The struggling making a hole could be the drill bits. They may be dull or the wrong type. Stores sell bits for wood, metal and concrete. A wood bit would be dull very quick drilling metal and quicker in concrete.

allamericantrade

If you want to invest in the best cordless hammer on the market my money is on Hilti. It's about 3x the cost of the alternatives but battery life and ease of usage is beyond comparrison. As far as dewalt goes, I have been a dewalt fan for many years and you shouldn't have an issue with it as long as you are using a quality drill bit. Again Hilti makes the best on the market known as a quad bit. Again 3x the cost but will last about 4 - 10x as long and will go through like butter.

petesign

We have a Milwaukee handheld hammer drill, it's awesome.... small little red drill that seems to go through anything. Has a nice case, and two batteries that came with it.

Speedsterbeast

I sold tools for 12 years including Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Porter Cable, and Bosch.
Although each brand has it's strengths depending on what tool you are looking for. For hammer drills I would go with either Milwaukee or Bosch. I would stay away from Dewalt, as I've never liked their tools other than the they look pretty. Hilti is a no-brainer great product, but unless you are making holes or shots for several hours a day, I'm not sure the extra money is with it. If you are having problems with making holes, it is more likely the bit you are using, or maybe an instance of oddly tough material. Any brand of hammer drill that is woking probably should make holes with a good bit, alhtough blows per minutes vary, they all do the job.
Also, corded perform much better than any cordless.
I have a Milwaukee 2611-20 M18 Li-Ion and it works fantastic.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All the battery drills are gonna work pretty much the same.

If you're in need of a hammer drill and going to be putting it to the test, then get a good corded drill and use real power. Batteries lose their power after 15 minutes or so. Next question is... how do I get electric out in the fild ??

Carry a small generator with you. They should be part of your normal equipment you take on any off-site job.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
So, is there better type of mechanism that I should be looking at (or brand). Should I consider a corded type ?

Get a rotary hammer...there's a huge difference. They utilize a spline drive (not your typical drill chuck) and pack a lot more whollop than a hammer drill.

Ditto on the 120 v.

This describes the differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_drill

JB

2B

If you're in need of a hammer drill and going to be putting it to the test, then get a good corded drill and use real power. Batteries lose their power after 15 minutes or so. Next question is... how do I get electric out in the fild ??

Carry a small generator with you. They should be part of your normal equipment you take on any off-site job.

+1 for a hammer drill corded is really the only option if you are wanting quick and constant power. we have a 15+ year old corded hammer drill from Milwaukee still is a beast! I'm no little feather, 6'5" 300lbs and if not careful will strain/twist the wrist with all the torque it has. the drill bits play a BIG role that is often ignored. It is the same principal as signs, you can have the best printer but if you load low grade / cheap materials you with have a low grade cheap sign that does not perform

skyhigh

Hilti all the way if you do any amount of work. Bosch if you only need an occasional hole in the brick wall.

And like JB said.....
Rotary hammer...there's a difference.

They utilize a spline drive (not your typical drill chuck) and pack a lot more whollop than a hammer drill.

I also have a small dewalt hammer drill that does good on brick and block.......and the yellow makes me happy.

EDIT TO ADD: I've heard good reviews on the battery Bosch. I have an older batter hammer drill that isn't worth a crap.

Sign Works

Get a rotary hammer...there's a huge difference. They utilize a spline drive (not your typical drill chuck) and pack a lot more whollop than a hammer drill.

Ditto on the 120 v.

This describes the differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_drill

JB

Yup, do not confuse a hammer drill with a rotary hammer. If you want to drill clean holes in concrete a "Rotary Hammer" is what you need.

Rotary hammer = Drills clean holes in concrete effortlessly (like butter).

Hammer Drill = Absoloutly totally useless for drilling holes in concrete.

Love my Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer and shoot they are 20 bucks less than 12 years ago when I purchased mine.
A real work hores for only 200 bucks at any Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

allamericantrade

Love my Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer and shoot they are 20 bucks less than 12 years ago when I purchased mine.
A real work hores for only 200 bucks at any Home Depot.

I have 2 Bulldog's and am very happy with them. For smaller jobs I have a 18v dewalt and an 18v milwaulkee. If your going to buy a DeWalt, Do not buy from Home Depot unless your special ordering it. Depot for the most part carries a watered down DeWalt. You will notice it's plastic and great for the advanced home owner. The trade quality DeWalt has a metal chuck and housing. It's about $100.00 more.

shakey0818

If you want to invest in the best cordless hammer on the market my money is on Hilti. It's about 3x the cost of the alternatives but battery life and ease of usage is beyond comparrison. As far as dewalt goes, I have been a dewalt fan for many years and you shouldn't have an issue with it as long as you are using a quality drill bit. Again Hilti makes the best on the market known as a quad bit. Again 3x the cost but will last about 4 - 10x as long and will go through like butter.

:goodpost:

Billct2

Another vote for a corded rotary hammer.
We have a nice 18v Bosch hammer drill, but when we need to really
get some masonry drilling done it's our old Milwaukie and our generator if needed.

SignManiac

Ditto!

I have a thirty old corded porter cable that's still going strong today.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs

Ditto here, however I just bought a Rockwell rotary hammer drill which does a great job for short field jobs. It is only 12v but does a far better job than all other 18v hammer drills we have had (Bosch, Dewalt, porter cable, hitachi) If you are only needing to do 8-12 holes it works great.

I got it at lowes for $129

MikePro

We've ALWAYS used Hilti hammer drills. Very reliable and countless miles on em for the past decades.
Recently decided it was time to take the plunge... and picked up a CORDLESS Hilti! Just got to use it the other day, and boy o' boy it was AWESOME!

that being said, the 18v Hammer Drill by Dewalt isn't bad... I've got one too. BUT you'll burn it out really quick if that's your only option.

signage

What you want is called an SDS drill! Hilti, Bosch, Matabo, Dewalt are all good ones, Hilti is the top of the line!

visual800

milwaukee hammer drill using bosch masonry bits, the best masonry bits I have found. black and decker, dewalt and milwaukkee bits all suck.

the milkwaukee hammer drill will go in concrete with ease as long as the bit is the bosch.

ive used makita, dewalts and Im please with milwaukk. best rotary hammer was the bosch!

CentralSigns

18v Hammer Drill by Dewalt isn't bad... I've got one too. BUT you'll burn it out really quick if that's your only option.

Don't buy the high speed Makita drills for use with the 3M chucked stripe off tools. Ours lasted 2 months and froze up. It was $125 bucks and no warranty beyond 30 days says the retailer.