• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Hammer Drill do I Buy

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I've always found that the drill bit is your biggest concern with concrete ... i always have a small compressor to clean out holes, a container of water to quelch my tips so they don't anneal and dull and some really really nice tips to go through concrete. A hammer drill is just made to make sure your drill bit tip doesn't become part of the concrete ... it should take a while if you don't have a rotary hammer to do the right job.

as for drills ... i'm a dewalt man all the way.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
we have a 15+ year old corded hammer drill from Milwaukee still is a beast!

+1, mine has parts falling off it and it still drills like a beast, it's beat, but it's old too...

I'm on my second Dewalt hammer drill, but it's been 15 years. If the dewalt can't do it - bring out the corded beast....

I've always wanted to add a rotary to the mix, but never had a hole I couldn't drill, although I have spent too much time on some holes and too many bits.....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
The rotary hammer bits are built totally different. They hit harder, get the work done faser and last a lot longer than regular masonry bits (heavier and thicker carbide) and are less expensive in the long run.

I have a small DeWalt rotary hammer I found at a pawn shop for $45. I use it for installing bronze plaques on granite memorials.

You won't find anything much harder than absolute black granite, but that little bugger zips right through. I don't skimp on cheap bits either.

JB

fmg

Hilti all the way out perform any other cordless hammer drill on the market.
One other good corded hammer drill to look at is Fein.

OldPaint

CORDED........any name brand............i dont care what they say about how great their BATTERY ONE is.............its still no match for a corded!!!!!!!!

S'N'S

Yup, do not confuse a hammer drill with a rotary hammer. If you want to drill clean holes in concrete a "Rotary Hammer" is what you need.

Rotary hammer = Drills clean holes in concrete effortlessly (like butter).

Hammer Drill = Absoloutly totally useless for drilling holes in concrete.

Love my Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer and shoot they are 20 bucks less than 12 years ago when I purchased mine.
A real work hores for only 200 bucks at any Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Don't think my home depot has any of those.:Big Laugh

FS-Keith

for stud mount letters, tapcons, 1/2" expansions, 3/4" power holes a $200 dollar bosch bulldog will be your best most cost effective option. ours is a workhorse, we also have a hilti te76 and a big hitachi for the big boy holes. but for everyday use its the bosch

Drip Dry

Yup, do not confuse a hammer drill with a rotary hammer. If you want to drill clean holes in concrete a "Rotary Hammer" is what you need.

Rotary hammer = Drills clean holes in concrete effortlessly (like butter).

Hammer Drill = Absoloutly totally useless for drilling holes in concrete.

Love my Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer and shoot they are 20 bucks less than 12 years ago when I purchased mine.
A real work hores for only 200 bucks at any Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Do most agree that a rotary hammer is better than a standard hammer drill Are there any reasons why I shouldn't consider a rotary ?
The drill bits we are using come with the tapcon screws we buy. New when we start the job... old when we're done

Sign Works

Do most agree that a rotary hammer is better than a standard hammer drill Are there any reasons why I shouldn't consider a rotary ?
The drill bits we are using come with the tapcon screws we buy. New when we start the job... old when we're done

Do yourself a huge favor and pick up a quality rotary hammer that uses SDS bits. The first time you use it you will wonder just what in the hell the actual intended purpose of a hammer drill is. I had to learn this the hard way first purchasing a corded 3/8" Black and Decker hammer drill for about $70, I believe it took about 6 hours and $50 in melted masonary bits to get 12 holes drilled in concrete (and believe me they were not clean precise holes). Next I stepped up to the corded 1/2" Milwaukee hammer drill using Bosch masonary bits, although it's a rugged strong drill it's primarily still a drill and nowhere near efficent for drilling clean holes in cocrete. Did a bit of research and talked to many contractors and what I kept hearing was the term "Rotary Hammer". I purchased the Bosch Bulldog and was absoloutly amazed at the first use, after taping up two large patterns I drilled approx 200 clean precise 1/4" holes in maybe 20 minutes. I've put this thing through the ringer over the last 12 years and it still works great. Signage (post #27) has shown you where you can order this tool for like $137, how could you go wrong with that?

charleskowen

+1 for Hilti.

The contractor i worked for picked up a used hilti set at a flea market and both drills that came with it were beasts.

Currently, the company I am with uses dewalt 18vt, which are okay for a couple holes. Anything bigger and I bust out the generator and dewalt electric.

Malkin

petesign said:
We have a Milwaukee handheld hammer drill, it's awesome.... small little red drill that seems to go through anything. Has a nice case, and two batteries that came with it.

Same here, works great. Also have a corded milwaukee just in case.

eforer

We ended up with the trifecta: Cordless 18v Milwaukee, corded Bosch SDS Plus Rotary Hammer, and Hilti SDS Max Rotary hammer (for when you want to hang a bus from a concrete building). All of the above I am totally happy with. If you were only going to have one, the Bosch will do everything for a reasonable price.

Garbus

we use Makita all the way...

hammerdrill 24V
regular driller 14V
grinder 18V
smaller hand drillers 14V

all on battery that can be charged within 15-20min. on the same 12-24V charger that we equipped in the van.

sweet!