• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who can do architectural maps?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I get these kinds of requests with regularity. Attached is a detailed architectural drawing of a floor from a building. Using Illustrator's default set of tools is not ideal. These are usually drawn with CAD programs. Is there anyone here interested and capable of doing this type of work? I don't want CAD output because those always produce inferior linework (curves become straight segments, multiple small shapes, etc). I thought maybe a Corel or Illustrator user had the proper tools to do so.

I do many maps and fire escape type drawings but not with this much detail. Some plugins have prebuilt tools for walls, doors, stairs, etc. Normal vector tools require drawing each item individually which is not cost effective.

Let me know in the thread or PM me

Attachments

• maps.pdf
    830.1 KB · Views: 102

GK

MapStudio for Illustrator is a pretty elaborate program for road maps, topographical, etc. CADtools for the rest.

LoL should have read more...well, here are the tools to do the work if anyone does want to...

Last edited:

Mosh

Stuff like this, I tell the customer it is going to print as good as the art is. It is on them.
We make them have it sized and everything when we do them, if they can draw a blueprint, they can scale it up to the size they want it reproduce. I think you are trying too hard, sounds like they just want a copy of a print, not a peice of fine art.
You need to get over a fex pixels, I know you are the Vec Dr. but......besides if they are done on a CAD, they should be a vector at some point.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Stuff like this, I tell the customer it is going to print as good as the art is. It is on them.
We make them have it sized and everything when we do them, if they can draw a blueprint, they can scale it up to the size they want it reproduce. I think you are trying too hard, sounds like they just want a copy of a print, not a peice of fine art.
You need to get over a fex pixels, I know you are the Vec Dr. but......besides if they are done on a CAD, they should be a vector at some point.

The attachment was a sample. they are often worse quality and cannot be printed. Other issues... 1) they may want to overlay it onto a colored background without the white box surrounding a scan. 2) Not everyone has original CAD/DWG files 3) They want to color in objects 4) CAD drawings have some elements that the customer does not want to include

The purpose of this post was not to judge the quality of this piece, but rather to find someone who is willing/able to produce a vector of complex architectural drawings. I do apartment maps, fire escape drawings, etc but not files with this much detail

stevesign

"Normal vector tools require drawing each item individually which is not cost effective."

Whichever way you look at it, in Illustrator or Autocad, its still a lot of work.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was detailed either..

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
"Normal vector tools require drawing each item individually which is not cost effective."

Whichever way you look at it, in Illustrator or Autocad, its still a lot of work.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was detailed either..

But don't those tools/plugins have prebuilt shapes? I think this would be far easier with the proper program/plugin.

stevesign

Sure, you can use Illustrators Symbol Librarys to speed things up, there are lots of vendors that offer architectural symbols.

You can ask the architect to export as DXF, Polyarc, which gives better results importing into Illustrator, specifically, nodes are not split.

LittleSnakey

If you have the autocad files saved as a version 12-14 dxf file you will get smooth curves.

I get these kinds of requests with regularity. Attached is a detailed architectural drawing of a floor from a building. Using Illustrator's default set of tools is not ideal. These are usually drawn with CAD programs. Is there anyone here interested and capable of doing this type of work? I don't want CAD output because those always produce inferior linework (curves become straight segments, multiple small shapes, etc). I thought maybe a Corel or Illustrator user had the proper tools to do so.

I do many maps and fire escape type drawings but not with this much detail. Some plugins have prebuilt tools for walls, doors, stairs, etc. Normal vector tools require drawing each item individually which is not cost effective.

Let me know in the thread or PM me

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
these are all great solutions, but keep in mind 90% of the time my customers do not have any original files. Just scans, faxes, photos, etc

Remember, I am not a sign shop. That is up to the sign shop to get with their customer and hunt down properly saved CAD files.

DOGraphics

Do you have a different sample of the "poor quality" you have mentioned?

Are you wanting some to draw the floor plan (i.e. architectural maps)?

I have AutoCad and could probablt do these. It would depend on what need to be done. In regards to time and cost.

Let me know.

signmeup

Eric,

You need to develope your own set of standard objects like toilets, doors, stairs, windows etc. Then you just copy/paste them into your tracing. That's how it's done in CAD.

What does this sort of thing pay?

mark in tx

I have had some luck importing files like that with Flexi, believe it or not.
Usually the worst that has to be done is connecting line segments, and re-creating some specialized glyphs.
Flexi is more expensive than Autocad, I think, but it might be worth it for you to go that route, Flexi is easier to learn than Autocad.