• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who can do architectural maps?

SqueeGee

First of all, this sort of reminds me of copyrighted logo reproduction. These plans were originally created by someone for your customers, they should be able to go back to their source and get what they need, or else they don't have the right to it. I mean if I was working with an architect and I wanted a workable copy of the plans, I go back to my architect and get them, not go to some vectorizing guy.

I agree in concept but had a project that makes me see why a backup plan is necessary.

A couple of years ago, we had an order to print emergency evacuation maps to go on the back of doors inside of hotel rooms. The hotel is 30 years old and all they had were very grainy black and white copies of the floor plans to work from. No architect name in sight.

In this case, there is no choice but to redraw the maps.

Si Allen

Sounds like the client is looking for a way to get a good copy cheaper that what the architect would charge.

Those lat 2 that you showed would take at least a couple of hours to produce.

signmeup

Those lat 2 that you showed would take at least a couple of hours to produce.
Easily. You also have add in dealing with the client, and making and sending the files. You can't do anything in 2 minutes.

I also wondered why anyone would need this service.....then my wife handed me a similar drawing of the store where she works and asked me to make a copy of it. They want the land layout so they can see how a new building will fit in.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I do alot of apartment/condo complex type signs. They must use them for maps, directionals, fire escape, parking, etc. At one time one sign shop ordered a dozen in a 2 month period due to some newly enacted law that required all apts to have some sort of map posted somewhere

Going back to the architect for a proper drawing can be as difficult as finding original vector art of logos from companies. Many companies have no idea where the originals come from

GB2

Old Member
Yea, OK, I can think of a number of senarios where they would legitimately need this service, in addition to all the illegtimately reasons plus what Si said about looking for a cheaper option. I would say though that this definately comes under the catagory of graphic design services rather than vector tracing services, and not to belittle your excellent service, but your typical costs seem to be on a lower scale than graphic design services. Therefore if you are providing the service you cannot charge as if it were vector tracing.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
On the issue or Architects and copyright, these signs/layouts are considered a maintenance issue and most owners/contractors contracts with an Architect would consider maintenance as a reason for using a set of plans in this manner so that is a non-issue.

On the deal with reproducing this type of thing. I usually ask the client what they need it for. If it's for a brochure, a site sign or evacuation plans then it's overdoing it (and not very attractive) to reproduce it exactly like the architects drawings. I make presentations for architects and they want me to dumb down the drawings for a nicer visual presentation. If they want it exact... unless I have measurements for everything, I can only scale off the door and it may not be suitable for construction so they should never expect that.

I can do that in CAD, but Illy with CADtools or Corel seems like a better choice if it's going to be used for print.

Dzrt1st

Eric,

Slightly OT, but I think there may be a typo on the first sample you posted, building 14.

Todd

Attachments

• site map 1Typo.jpg
    site map 1Typo.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 53