• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who wants to talk me out of this?

Tim Aucoin

Okay... I'm seriously considering getting a Gerber Edge FX with the enVision plotter to add to my work flow... anyone want to talk me out of it??!! :rolleyes:

I've lost a few decent jobs just this last month because I can't do a white flood back on static cling (or decals) on my Ecosol printer. :frustrated: Yeah, I know... duhhh! :doh: Not to mention the added product line I could offer new & existing customers. I've done ALL the research on here and the web and am well aware of the limitations, resolution, etc., but still feel I could produce a number of very sellable products. My imagination is going wild as I type this! :rolleyes: Hmmm... I don't think "sellable" is actually a word..!

My question is this. From what I am seeing currently, you cannot run Omega 3 on Mac. My supplier "heard" that there is a Mac version coming... anyone else heard this? Also, for those of you who may be running it on Mac via Parallels or Fusion... how's it working for you?

Forgive me if this is basic stuff for you Gerber users... it's new territory to me, but I'm game for the challenge!

hydo1

We have had an Edge, Edge2, and now an EdgeFX and I love it. I run it everyday and it has paid for itself over and over again.

Jillbeans

While you're at it you can get me one.
Not so much interested in the Edge, but boy would I like an Envision.
My plotter is from 1989 and its tired old @ss is really draggin'.
Love....Jill

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I'd be the last person to try and talk ya out of it - they're highly profitable machines. I'll even give ya a tip on a niche market they are excellent for. Small athletic decals for car windows. Get in touch with athletic director of your local school district and local youth sports associations. The orders flood in. With the youth sports associations, I usually let one parent be in charge of bringing me the order with all kids names spelled correctly. For that they got two decals free. Some of 'em fought over it. The sports decals for school districts always leads to orders for banners and bus lettering as well. With the parents, you never know who is a contractor or small business owner. It just grows and grows for you. Go for it.

signpro

Manager
i wouldn't talk you out of it either... i have an Edge and Envision... use them both prety much daily and LOVE THEM!! had the edge for years and it's solid, no issues (knock on wood) same with the envision!!! i think it's cheaper/easier when printing 1color on regular vinyl, and the white print option is great!!! we do TONS of clear decals with white print. definetely worth investing!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you should buy it and bring the whole set up along in August and then drink too much and forget to take it home.

Don't worry, we'll eventually send it back to ya.........

Roen

Our Edge and Envision have probably been the best investments we've made, considering both of ours have been with us steadily sloughing through the bulk of our work over the past decade.

They may not be as viable for some of the wide-format cutting/printing work, but there's still some pretty wicked things you can do on them - especially when you want to save/make quick money.

Out of all the equipment we've had, those two machines have had the least issues in terms of break-downs. We did however have a particular issue when we sent our Edge back for warranty with Gerber about 5 years ago where we sent it out for some tune-ups and general maintenance, and it came back absolutely trashed. The lid was ripped off the hinges and the machine was just literally beat into a pile of mess. Strange thing was, the box wasn't damaged, and so the shipping company wouldn't take responsibility.

That was a giant piss off, but aside from that, definitely good machines to make an investment into.

Pat Whatley

flood back on static cling (or decals) on my Ecosol printer.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of the Edge, it's certainly earned it's place in the world but your static cling thing has me curious.

Why can't you print the static cling, then laminate with white vinyl instead of overprinting with white ink? We used to get them in from a supplier as clear and laminate them that way all the time. Just a question...

Tim Aucoin

Jill... If I get this, I'll let you use it any time you come up for a visit! :Big Laugh

Arlo... That's excellent, sound advice... thank you! I live in a small town that is huge into sports, and here in Calgary, you can't get away from it! That on top of Calgary Stampede being just around the corner.... hmmm... :rolleyes: now you really got me thinking. This may happen sooner than later!

hydo1, roen & signpro... thanks for the encouraging testimonials... that helps! I do a ton of digital printing for a few very popular restaurants/bars here and I can only imagine the possibilities going in to them with this product offering...

Pat... I have thought of that, but I'm worried about what that would do to the look of the print and the durability of the cling decal. They'd be a fair bit thicker, no... unless I went with a higher priced 2mil cast? Have you seen any effects of the adhesive showing through after a while? Also, what about contour cutting after laminating them? I appreciate the suggestion, but is it worth the extra steps? :rolleyes:

Now to Gino...:ROFLMAO: tell you what... if, (and that's a HUGE if) they let me take the entire kit as carry-on, you've got a deal! Won't take too much to get me drunk, so it should be an easy deal for ya! When you say you'll send it back, I'm assuming that would be sometime after retirement??!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Biker Scout

I just can't believe they haven't updated the thing, or it's size for that matter. An Edge 24" would be darn near perfect.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
another vote for the edge....ive only ever worked with gerber plotters and printers and i wouldn't have it any other way...they're work horses....never had an issue with them...

can't help you out with the software as i run pc at the shop....

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
+1 for doing it but at the same time bite the bullet and commit to a Win-PC to run it on. You're liable to be old and gray waiting on a Mac version of Omega or anything that will drive your Edge native from a Mac that works as well as Omega. They've had a product kicking around for years you may want to look into called MacImprint. Basically it will allow you to run the Edge from Illustrator. Haven't used it but, from what I understand, it has some shortcomings.

Tim Aucoin

+1 for doing it but at the same time bite the bullet and commit to a Win-PC to run it on. You're liable to be old and gray waiting on a Mac version of Omega or anything that will drive your Edge native from a Mac that works as well as Omega. They've had a product kicking around for years you may want to look into called MacImprint. Basically it will allow you to run the Edge from Illustrator. Haven't used it but, from what I understand, it has some shortcomings.

Thanks Fred... Yeah, I've been thinking of bringing in a PC for a while now. It would be for VersaWorks, Simply Accounting and Omega if I do the deal. I'm just concerned that my Mac would be really ticked at me if I put a PC in the same room..:noway: After all, what can a new PC cost these days? :rolleyes:

TheProfessor

we had an edge at my old shop, god I miss it. It was constantly running. The abrasion guard foil smells like a$$ though :) Seriously, I keep trying to convince my new company to get one...

Drip Dry

Gerber has a deal now that you get an $8,000 trade in for a working or non working edge. I know you don't have one to trade in, but how about this:

Someone has an old edge they don't use anymore or one
that doesn't work. (ebay comes to mind)
You buy that for a couple of thousand and then trade it in for a new system.
14,000 - 8,000 = 7,000

Hyatt is advertising the trade in program

You never know