• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who wants to talk me out of this?

M

MANNING

We Bought An Edge Ii 5 Years Ago. As Soon As We Made The Final Payment. The Print Head Started Leaving Two Lines Unprinted. One At The Bottom
And One Right In The Middle. There Has Been A Lot Of Times When We Had To Explain Why A 13" Or So Decal Has A Seam. Oh! And Stocking All Those Foils. Approx 30 Instock Now.

But We Have Enjoyed Our Edge Ii And The Envision Cutter And Used The Mess Out Of Them. But It Looks Like We Are Moving Up To The 54" Print N Cut As Soon As I Figure Out Which One To Buy. If U Can Get An Edge For Under 10k Its Well Worth It.

Tim Aucoin

WOW! Thanks for all the feedback on this topic! I'm pretty much convinced that I can sell this product. I appreciate the offer of a used one Anthony, but for low ticket items, I like to buy new and get the training & warranty. jtrube... I believe that offer is for U.S. customers only, but I will check into it further. I appreciate the tip! :thumb: And Professor... your comment about the abrasion guard foil... well, I'm not touching that one!!! :ROFLMAO:

I spoke to one of my customers yesterday who would definitely bring work to me if I have the ability to print white. That particular job was a $2000 decal job... and it's a job they'll do a few times a year. I know nothing is guaranteed, but this customer has been with us since 1999 and done well over a quarter million dollars in print business. They are a charitable Air Rescue Foundation and they do a lot of decals to give out to their supporters, so this is pretty much a no brainer as far as this particular customer goes.

Historically, I tend to do things backwards in this business. I buy the equipment first based on a "gut feeling", then hope it sells!:covereyes: It's been a very successful method so far with my press, the aqueous and solvent printers, and my Fargo plastic card printer. This time, my gut is telling me that a Gerber Edge FX would sell... and very well at that! The ink on paper market is quickly shrinking here, and in order to survive in business, one needs to step back and examine their business model. I've done that... thus the direction I'm headed with all of this!!!

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm that much close to making a decision on this. :rolleyes:

Marlene

I've had the first Edge and have an Edge 2. like all Gerber stuff, they are almost impossible to kill as they are built well. Gerber makes areally reliable equipment. we have had Gerber equipment since the 80's and have been happy.

Bill Modzel

I run my Edge daily too.. . . on my Mac. Using MacImprint which is an Illustrator 10 plug-in.
Yea, Gerber at one time attempted to break into the Mac world and unfortunately, gave up to quickly. From what I've heard, they will not upgrade MI, which is just too bad. It has a learning curve that's about 20% that of Omega's and you don't have to go to the dark side to use it.

Having said that, since MI is no longer available, you can possible run Omega via Parallels on a new Mac and save yourself purchasing pc workstation. I am running my
large format RIP on my MacPro and have been for 3 years now. . . and windoz still sucks.

Tim Aucoin

Well, I did it... I ordered my Edge FX & enVision plotter yesterday! I should have it within a week. I spent the last 3 or 4 days reading a ton of Gerber stuff and basically learning as much as I can about the equipment prior to bringing it in. Simple call to my regular leasing company yesterday and the deal was done! :thumb:
With the tremendous help of my local supplier, I even have a complete cost analysis spreadsheet designed already, so I should be ready to hit the ground running when the equipment arrives! It's also comforting to know that if I have any really stupid questions, I can rely on all of you Gerber users on here to lend me a guiding hand if needed... :covereyes:

Now I just need to decide which foils to choose and which medias to initially keep in stock to start up! I don't get as good a deal as you guys down in the U.S. do.... I get 10 free foils, 10 caddy's, and 30% off any other consumables I order within the first 7 days. I've already quoted out a nice size static cling job worth over $3000! That would be a nice first job to get. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, gotta go hem some big banners. Working Canada Day to get 19 big banners out the door for Friday. Thanks again everyone for the positive feedback and support on the Gerber! My gut tells me I've made a good decision!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thumb:.... let us know when it comes in.

BTW.... you could have them drop ship it to us instead and we'll test it for ya and have it ready in August. :Oops:

Tim Aucoin

Hey Tim congrats! (and Happy Canada Day...i'm working too and taking friday off)
You will love your machine, and if you ever encounter any problems you will find lots of guys/gals here that know everything about those things! Not to mention Gerber support is great.
Well have a good one, let us know when you're up and running!
Pat

Thanks Pat! Yeah, Friday will be another quiet day here. It's the Calgary Stampede Parade. Downtown pretty much shuts down till 1pm... You take care... have a great one too!