• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why I hate Lowballers

Locals Find!

Gino, I never said my product was better. Hell, if you make something better than me and I lose a sale on quality. I know why I lost the sale. You were better than me. I lost because I didn't have the skills.

Now, as for your discount store question. I guess I view my shopping at the discount store differently as it has the exact same products shipped from the same warehouses from areas outside of my community. Whether I pay $12 or $4 for that bag of dog food or the kids shampoo. $0.75 of that dollar leaves my community and doesn't come back.

So, when I cut corners at the dollar store I spend that savings locally. I go to a local restaurant to eat, or shop at a local store. I spend it in the community. That is how I justify my shopping at the discount store.

Now, maybe I am wrong maybe they are right on their pricing. I just know I look in the signcraft 2011 price guide and the lowest point I see for an aluminum sign is suggested at $80 for a double sided sign. Now, I know that is not the bible on pricing. I know you have to adjust for market conditions, etc..etc.. I just can't help but think if I can get $50 for a full color 2 side 4 mil coroplast & frame why the hell can't they get more for a better product. I look like I ripped someone off for selling them a good product at a fair price because, the guy down the road is giving better product away for less money.

How, can I compete with that? Please honestly tell me, I am totally confused. I am seriously to the point I feel like what is the friggin point of trying to be in business. At those prices I could be picaso and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Circleville Signs

Addy,

You are focused on a market that is notoriously cheap and doesn't give a rats *** about quality (realtors). If you continue to focus on that market, you will continue to lose, unless you start producing in house and match or beat the competition's prices. You aren't selling anything that someone can't get somewhere else. That's commodity selling. Commodity selling is all about price.

You need to do what Gino said - figure out what YOU can provide tithe market that your compendium doesn't, or can't.

Locals Find!

Addy,

You are focused on a market that is notoriously cheap and doesn't give a rats *** about quality (realtors). If you continue to focus on that market, you will continue to lose, unless you start producing in house and match or beat the competition's prices. You aren't selling anything that someone can't get somewhere else. That's commodity selling. Commodity selling is all about price.

You need to do what Gino said - figure out what YOU can provide tithe market that your compendium doesn't, or can't.

I do have something in mind I would like to talk to you about privately and get your feedback on. I am not quite ready to post about it in the open just yet.

WCSign

Maybe it is just me, but if all he is doing is just solvent printing on white and slapping on a magnetic base ... I would probably be advertising 12x24's for $59 as well, add in a basic $10 layout fee if they don't have the art ready to go, and try to sell on some custom design services (logo or what not) ... I can easily double or triple that price.

Those also aren't low baller prices, as that sort of work I've seen go for $25 bucks in this area. Either way, if I had a solvent printer in the shop I would probably be advertising stuff around that price to keep the printer from bleeding ink and print heads into a garbage can. ... and in the end will get the upsells easily (laminate, design services, etc.)

:goodpost:

4R Graphics

Wow alot of goood info in there.

Addy as for your issue I can tell you that outsourcing will almost always make you more than in house.

You really should look at your business and consider a model change.

If you want to outsource then you need to find products and customers that are a niche market and be the best.

Realtors shoot me now there worse than race car people.

there will always be someone cheaper or better thats life you need to figure out what works for you.

Consider this you said you could charge lower prices so why dont you on SOME products this may keep some customers that may spend more in the future or just put a few bucks in your pocket.

STOP measuring yourself against everyone else local or otherwise.
As was stated earlier really look at what you have done what you can do and perhaps restructure your model to pick up some loweball work on easy cheap products and or go only after niche and high paying.

You will go mad if you worry about everyone else. You need to design a model that you can actually implament and then do it and dont worry about who your losing or what not only focus on your model and working it if the model is good you will know if its bad you will know and can adjust as need be.

Craig Sjoquist

Wow popped up again

Although I laugh at the ..lowball prices.. compared to here in Orlando that is above average price for all the normal wham bam shops.

So quite alot I'm the bad guy ..till they find out what they bought did not work well

BargainSigns

Welcome to owning a sign company in Florida. We've been doing it 22 years and I lose out low-ballers all the time. I lost to lettering the local police cars to a guy working out of his garage.

Locals Find!

Well, guys since you dug it back up. I quit competing with these guys. I managed to find a full time job that pays decent (not great but decent) and now only take on the jobs that are either fun or profitable. I don't worry to much about what others price anymore. I just bid my jobs and if I win them great If not well. my bills are still getting paid either way.

I really like having the option of being able to say no and not cringe inside. Thinking to myself I really could have used that money. Now, its all about how much do I want the money? It's a great feeling.

ThinkRight

Well, guys since you dug it back up. I quit competing with these guys. I managed to find a full time job that pays decent (not great but decent) and now only take on the jobs that are either fun or profitable. I don't worry to much about what others price anymore. I just bid my jobs and if I win them great If not well. my bills are still getting paid either way.

I really like having the option of being able to say no and not cringe inside. Thinking to myself I really could have used that money. Now, its all about how much do I want the money? It's a great feeling.
That is a great attitude.

Kinda reminds me of the saying ...
"If you do what you love , you will never work another day in your life."
How is everything?
People here have missed you.

Brad Knight

I know I'm new here and late in the conversation, but - I think I know what Techman is getting on about.

I've got a client - someone we go to church with - that I'm basically giving some work away to (designing and cutting a bench) for her hair salon. Well, I might be working for free on that, and it's not too terribly hard, and it's a fun challenging project in itself, BUT - she calls a few days later and wants a surfboard - so, $20 in mdf, 10 minutes at the computer, and a couple days later (my wife actually ran the file, painted and finished this thing when she had time) - we had a $200 surf board sign.

The point is, you can advertise and sell on low/almost no margin products in order to capitalize on higher margin products when customers walk in the door OR after they decide "Hey - these are my guys!!" You can also make just as much, with higher volume and lower margins as you can with lower volume and higher margins.

You know, this is all about capitalism at it's best... we should all look to be the best we can be, and if we're not looking at ways to become more efficient and offer better/more cost effective products to our customers, then someone else will. Some times that means bringing stuff in house, some times that means sending it out.

Some times, that means getting a day job. (That's from someone who is still working a day job in order to fund my shop)

Attachments

• surf board.jpg
    surf board.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 104
Addie……

If you’re only at it 3 years and this guy has taken away a percentage of your business, but he was here long before you opened your doors…. isn’t it the other way around ?? Seems more like you’ve been stepping on his toes and trying to do business his way and you can’t really do it, let alone keep up with him. Whether he re-organized under some chapter… or is just re-inventing his business…. why are you trying to compete with him, when you have to sub out the work he does in-house ??

Here’s a new approach… why not set yourself apart from him and sell something different…. or advertise other items and maybe you won’t have to compete with him.

Please, if you don’t listen to anything else I’ve ever said to you in any way, shape or form, try this on for size…. stop modeling yourself or comparing your setup to others here on the forum…. especially me/mine. We are not anything alike. I make 95% of my stuff in-house. I could send you to the poor house if you were my competition. So could many others. You’re a Broker. You know I don’t like brokers, but why pretend to be a sign shop when you can’t compete on any level from in-house anything to design to prices ?? You’re only kidding yourself trying to hide the fact from your customers you in fact don’t make much of anything and send out for almost everything.

Some questins for you… seriously.

• Are you ashamed of what you do, that you can’t level with your customers ??
  • Do you think you can really sub out and get good prices and compete with the guy down the street ??
  • Have you ever tried to find a few good items and knock the living snot out of your competition by excelling in something and not worrying about every little sale that comes down the pike ??
  • You can’t get them all.
  • If you did, your prices are too low. You say your prices are not lowballing, but in so many of your threads… you’re always complaining how you lost another one or someone or something got in your way.

Why not take a week or so and write up a Pros & Cons list and make an honest to goodness business and life assessment of what you’ve accomplished in the last three years under your present name and the other years under whatever name you used to use and see where your strong points are and what you are weak in. You need to be brutally honest with yourself and not make excuses or get side-tracked. Once you have strengths and weaknesses figured out, you can proceed o the next level and that is now setting your sights/goal on something physically obtainable. Maybe, you’d find out brokering isn’t your cup a tea. It doesn’t seem it to me, but what do I know ??

:help
I know I'm new here and late in the conversation, but - I think I know what Techman is getting on about.

I've got a client - someone we go to church with - that I'm basically giving some work away to (designing and cutting a bench) for her hair salon. Well, I might be working for free on that, and it's not too terribly hard, and it's a fun challenging project in itself, BUT - she calls a few days later and wants a surfboard - so, $20 in mdf, 10 minutes at the computer, and a couple days later (my wife actually ran the file, painted and finished this thing when she had time) - we had a $200 surf board sign.

The point is, you can advertise and sell on low/almost no margin products in order to capitalize on higher margin products when customers walk in the door OR after they decide "Hey - these are my guys!!" You can also make just as much, with higher volume and lower margins as you can with lower volume and higher margins.

You know, this is all about capitalism at it's best... we should all look to be the best we can be, and if we're not looking at ways to become more efficient and offer better/more cost effective products to our customers, then someone else will. Some times that means bringing stuff in house, some times that means sending it out.

Some times, that means getting a day job. (That's from someone who is still working a day job in order to fund my shop)

btropical.com

Why don't you just run a couple of loads of coke from cape coral to some northern state and make up all this lost business . Diversification is the key .