• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wix.com for website building

mark galoob

so i have a guy that is doing my website, and i noticed he is using wix.com to build it...now mind you, im just looking for something very simple that will be search engine optomizable...

correct me if im wrong, but wix.com? is this really a professional program that any of you guru's would use?

mark galoob

HulkSmash

so i have a guy that is doing my website, and i noticed he is using wix.com to build it...now mind you, im just looking for something very simple that will be search engine optomizable...

correct me if im wrong, but wix.com? is this really a professional program that any of you guru's would use?

mark galoob
Hope you're not paying the guy.

They have free premade templates. And no not professional at all.. in my opinion.

Pat Whatley

Wix doesn't host your full site. Photos and videos must be hosted somewhere else and linked into the Wix templates. If you use the free version you're going to get ads on your site, you have to pay for the Premium service to avoid that. Your site will be held hostage on the Wix servers, no chance of finding a cheaper, better host and moving your site there. I may be wrong but I don't think a Wix site is search engine optimizable. Wix also does not host email....you're going to be stuck using a third-party email address.

If you're looking for a really basic portfolio site cheap it might work for you though. The average person out there wouldn't know the difference when they ran across your site.

Like he said...hope you're not paying the guy.....you could knock out a Wix site on your own in no time.

Locals Find!

If you wanna be cheap and don't mind putting in a couple hours building your own. You can pick up a copy of MS Frontpage 2000 on ebay fairly cheap.

The learning curve isn't that bad for a basic site and with a little bit of study you can improve upon it exponentially. Then you can host yourself anywhere you want.

frbaker

I wouldn't suggest Wix.com

I'm new to signs101 so hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but I know web development. I've owned and operated 3 web development companies, been doing web development for over 15 years, was the top developer at 3M until recently (building/maintaining close to 600 sites like postit.com scientificanglers.com, etc..) and unless the person building your website is using some industry standard web development software (or is old school and hand coding), I wouldn't pay them a dime. There is soo much more to make a website functionally excellent than most newer developers even realize.

There are thousands of people that can build you a nice looking website that won't accomplish any of the goals you have, and there are very few that can actually build one that does.

Make sure to get a referral from someone who actually has a site that is performing well (and unfortunately - you probably have to pay a pretty penny).

signswi

WIX is awful it's for people who don't know anything to generate flash based websites that won't work on most devices and have terrible SEO.

visual800

WIX rocks I created a website for a guy that screwed me over on a car resto in less than 3 hours and and it went on the web. For crap like that you cant get any better!

on the flip side I wasted 6 months of my life trying to create my own website with dreamweaver and a premade template I bought. No luck it was the worst nightmare of my freakin life. If I ever create a website for myself it will be something like WIX i could care less.

i think what pi$$ed me off more than anything was all these damn people I met that claimed they "do websites" were nowhere to be found when it came time to ask for help. Website building is a ***** from what I found out.

Craig Sjoquist

Tried WIX free version not happy with it.

Best free version I like is... 000webhost.com .. have made several sites works well limited but works well.
Then when I was able to afford hosting it switches over to ..24host.com .. alot better full service web hosting.
I'm still using the web builder for both till I learn more and build my own.

Try the free host versions to learn web building then use the the web builders on the pay hosts, as you learn your own web building.

smdgrfx

I have used www.1and1.com for something cheap and dirty. About as easy as WIX except that it is actually very user serviceable. Domain hosting and website hosting on the cheap. I think first six months is $9.99 ..... can't beat that!

I am now ready for something better and hired a real marketing company to make me a site. Should be ready next month. I have a couple of more sit downs with him to finish filling in all the information. 1and1 takes care of my domain hosting ($3.99 per year) and www.hostgator.com is now my webhost provider ($10 per month I think...they are local to me in Houston - I just wanted something different).

Jim Doggett

Barber said:
What about Go Daddy?

I think their Admin backend is the worst on the planet. Just a hodge-podge of cludgy and antiquated web apps that share nearly nothing in common. Plus it's kinda slow, in my experience.

Hostmonster.com is cheap and way better. And my clients have never had any problems with it.

FWIW

ucmj22

whoever is charging you to give you a wix site is ripping you off. very hard to do SEO if you dont know what youre doing, and its all flash, so a seperate site will have to be created for it to be viewable on some mobile devices (wix does offer a mobile service).

you could make your own site with wix if you want to. it takes no knowledge of any code at all.

boxerbay

whats the point of having a flash based website that is seo unfriendly and cannot be viewed on mobile devices? i currently have a client and i am having difficulty moving them away from their current flash header menu bar with beeping buttons. people have difficulty understanding that content and seo is more imprtant than beeping sliding buttons.

Craig Sjoquist

Pat... That's news to me ..I've never seen Wix anywhere on the 000webhost site and Wix is different.

I may be mistaken but anyway it was easy for me and worked great, guess I look deeper

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I work in internet marketing, I have yet to see a system advertised for cheap websites that is SEO friendly. WIX is cool to look at but that is about all. If you are only looking for people to see your website once you hand them a business card, ok, but that is all.

I have seen many other website companies that offer websites that have custom looks (semi custom/template) for $500-900 most are just pretty but not much coding is done.

How do you know what are good sites? Well look at their other sites, look at their clients rankings on Organic search result under competitive headings.

PS I have never seen a flash website with top organic rankings

Last edited:

Techman

How do you know what are good sites? Well look at their other sites, look at their clients rankings on Organic search result under competitive headings

The only real measure of a "good" website is the ability to bring paying customers. All the Flash and glitter means nothing if it does not convert into money.

And Addy???
Why did you even mention M$ Front Page.

Front Page 2000 is PURE JUNK.

It adds in its own extensions not compatible with the real world.

signswi

If you wanna be cheap and don't mind putting in a couple hours building your own. You can pick up a copy of MS Frontpage 2000 on ebay fairly cheap.

The learning curve isn't that bad for a basic site and with a little bit of study you can improve upon it exponentially. Then you can host yourself anywhere you want.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have fun building sites with depreciated techniques (tables?!) that look like and function like garbage.

Here's just the basic thing to know about web design: hire a pro. Case closed, go run your business. Sign guys get mad at people that scribble with marker on some cardboard to advertise and say they should hire a pro, why would you try to do something wildly outside of your expertise area in the same hackish manner? Hire a pro.