• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wix.com for website building

Locals Find!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have fun building sites with depreciated techniques (tables?!) that look like and function like garbage.

Here's just the basic thing to know about web design: hire a pro. Case closed, go run your business. Sign guys get mad at people that scribble with marker on some cardboard to advertise and say they should hire a pro, why would you try to do something wildly outside of your expertise area in the same hackish manner? Hire a pro.

Last I checked HTML is HTML no matter whether you long code it by hand or use Frontpage to get the same results. If you can't afford a pro or just wanna learn to do it yourself Frontpage is a perfectly fine place to get started learning the basics. Then you can move up. Its not the tools in the tool box but, those using them. That will determine results.

I have also seen many "PROS" build sites using techniques that won't get picked up by search engines, won't work on mobile browsers, and lastly **** off end users because they are overly complicated.

BTW those antiquated tables come in mighty handy when building sites for certain mobile browsers without spending extra time coding 5,000 different setups for every different mobile device out their.

signswi

No, sorry, it's not. It outputs code which will not W3C validate as it uses incredibly old depreciated standards. Table design was depreciated in the late 90s. No one has to code 5,000 versions for different mobile browsers if you're properly separating content from presentation with css. You're not on defensible ground. The only excuse for table design is to support a few very old email clients which are basically late 90s embedded browsers stuck in a timewarp when doing email newsletter html design.

This is all besides the point anyway as you don't learn to code using something like frontpage, you learn using a text editor. You only use code environments once you can hand code well. If you try to do it in reverse you'll be handicapped by your code environment crutch for years.

Spend the money, hire a pro, go concentrated on your real business.

Locals Find!

No, sorry, it's not. It outputs code which will not W3C validate as it uses incredibly old depreciated standards. Table design was depreciated in the late 90s. No one has to code 5,000 versions for different mobile browsers if you're properly separating content from presentation with css. You're not on defensible ground. The only excuse for table design is to support a few very old email clients which are basically late 90s embedded browsers stuck in a timewarp when doing email newsletter html design.

Your argument is about the same as saying Sign Painting is obsolete because, large format printers can do the same job. Its all comes down to whether or not the end result will bring you business. How you get to that point means squat.

Tables are a quick and dirty way of getting a job done. They may not be the most advanced way of getting the job done but, they still have their uses.

W3C compliant means nothing to the average user. If your a techno nerd yeah it might mean something. Most people using the web don't know or care about that stuff. They want the information at their finger tips easy to find and to be able to complete a transaction or contact the individual or business. That is it.

signswi

It's absolutely not the same thing. This argument is pointless as you clearly don't understand considerations for things like accessibility or the reason that standards exist. Your argument that using depreciated standards (over a decade old!) is more compatible than trying to hit standards designed to increase usability and compatibility across all devices and user needs is mind-blowingly backwards. Have fun in your time warp.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Concrete5 would probably be an ideal cms for you ... easy to install and easy to use. Going to be turning the wife's resume website into concrete5 based site so she can easily edit without having to have me do it for her.

signswi

If you like wix you should be using squarespace.com instead. Much more compliant sites, better vendor, usable on any device (no flash crap), etc.

Plus they look way, way better.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
i use 000 for DEBUGGING Sites so i dont have to actually put them on my web server.

I just have a couple random domains I picked up over the years that I can add onto my already awesome hosting with all my features I have without a lot of b.s. I gave up on free hosts for debugging a long time ago when all the freehosts had massive restrictions on their services in the oddest of places ... there are a few that restrict php outbound connections ... all to avoid someone making a contact form and use that to spam peoples email. bad stuff. even found a few that allowed mysql and cronjobs but didn't let javascript files be stored in their servers.

HaroldDesign

If you like wix you should be using squarespace.com instead. Much more compliant sites, better vendor, usable on any device (no flash crap), etc.

Plus they look way, way better.
I checked it out, and I think I like it. However, their own site doesn't function properly. :omg:

stephenj148

I have many issues with Wix.

- One being, is that now everyone is a "web designer" and some sites are crap.
- Its expensive if you go through their hosting, and you don't get much out of it..
- I feel that it is EXTREMELY SLOW. People don't have patience to sit and wait for a website to pop up, neither can I. I can't stand how slow their web performance is.

Craig Sjoquist

Well since this thread started, I've been told that 000webhost is wix did not see any evidence no matter not the point.

But anyway my main host for 592sign is 24host.com well I.m no web designer and do not claim to be my 592sign site is done with the web builder they provide and has been happier then when using 000webhost you move up to 24host when you pay for hosting and alot happier then using a outfit that sold .WS sites when I 1st started embarrassed to say I used that for couple years.

Anyway since I just found out that 24host was a out of country hosting service, I'll be looking to use one in the USA prefer Florida although Hostgator looked good mentioned earlier.

Also I plan on encoding my own website, reading a book now for 2nd time that covers XHTML & CSS ..but it is the 2006 version so any new books out there I should look at ??

Since I have 15 domains and few of them are hosted I'll be trying different hosts and ways to build a site some mention on this thread.

So I want thank Signs 101 & members ,, cause a old dog can learn new tricks.

stephenj148

Well since this thread started, I've been told that 000webhost is wix did not see any evidence no matter not the point.

But anyway my main host for 592sign is 24host.com well I.m no web designer and do not claim to be my 592sign site is done with the web builder they provide and has been happier then when using 000webhost you move up to 24host when you pay for hosting and alot happier then using a outfit that sold .WS sites when I 1st started embarrassed to say I used that for couple years.

Anyway since I just found out that 24host was a out of country hosting service, I'll be looking to use one in the USA prefer Florida although Hostgator looked good mentioned earlier.

Also I plan on encoding my own website, reading a book now for 2nd time that covers XHTML & CSS ..but it is the 2006 version so any new books out there I should look at ??

Since I have 15 domains and few of them are hosted I'll be trying different hosts and ways to build a site some mention on this thread.

So I want thank Signs 101 & members ,, cause a old dog can learn new tricks.

are you going to be using dreamweaver? If so what CS is it. Try to get the books that go along with the version. And not to throw more onto your plate, don't go crazy but jQuery is a wonderful thing.

visual800

Glad this post popped back up. Since I answwered to this earlier I did infact use wix and do my own site. cheesy? maybe. professional? not one of of the most elborate I have seen but its done. WIX was easy and once you do it you then go back later and find other aspects of it to really fine tune what you have done. Sure I could have spent $4000 to someone to create it but this way I can go in and make changes as I see fit. I only wanted an online portfoilio. I didnt wanna get all crazy and hi tech.

even though it is free, there still should be considertaion for how things are loaded into it. ive got alot of hours in mine, you wouldnt think so but its more than pulling pics and colpy into one. After attempting my own and then going several years without one, Im pleased.

Craig Sjoquist

are you going to be using dreamweaver? If so what CS is it. Try to get the books that go along with the version. And not to throw more onto your plate, don't go crazy but jQuery is a wonderful thing.

Dreamweaver for me at moment is wishful thinking & jQuery never even seen the word but using Dreamweaver guess might be the best and most likely easier and will find books related indeed if I can afford that.

But in the mean time I will be hand coding to learn what I can and the challenge is always great, got to see if I can enjoy hand coding I have 6 mths. before the host money is due again and several domains I can play with, till I make serious changes.

Locals Find!

Dreamweaver for me at moment is wishful thinking & jQuery never even seen the word but using Dreamweaver guess might be the best and most likely easier and will find books related indeed if I can afford that.

But in the mean time I will be hand coding to learn what I can and the challenge is always great, got to see if I can enjoy hand coding I have 6 mths. before the host money is due again and several domains I can play with, till I make serious changes.

You really should read up on jquery and jquerymobile. Both work together and you can do some really cool stuff. I have just recently started playing with both and I am amazed at all that I can do after a few short months.

Don't try to code everything by hand you will drive yourself nuts. At the very least pick up an older copy of Microsoft Frontpage 2003 from Ebay it will at the minimum cut off a couple of wasted hours typing out the same lines over and over to only find out you made a mistake. Been there done that trust me its a serious PIA sometimes.

HulkSmash

Back to the OP. You can build a website easily with Wix - but someone who is professional that you hired SHOULD NOT.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Wix is horrible, I would rather use CushyCMs instead.

Really you need to ask what you are looking for in a CMS (which is really what you are looking for if you use wix.

for 'blog' style sites (no ecommerce, no massive scripting not a big gallery, etc) your golden 5 will be wordpress, joomla, drupal, typepad and b2 evolution ... all have their strengths, for most people they need a wordpress site that is properly themed to allow them to easily edit and go from there.

beyond that if you need a page editor cms there are hundreds out there (no post type pages, just a wysiwyg editor ... or a dynamic editor, simple layouts, everything on a page is a component and you build your site page by page) golden examples are concrete5, opencms, frog cms, bluesky canvas, cms made easy and zimplit ... I prefer opencms, concrete5 and zimplit out of them.

ecommerce ... really as a stand alone it comes down to oscommerce and zen cart ... but both drupal and joomla have the capapbilities and expandability required to use an ecommerce on them ... only down side joomla and drupal require massive time requirements as it is, throw an ecommerce add on and you're pretty much spending about 20-40 hours a week doing nothing but adding to and monitoring your site to keep it relevant and in decent standing.

all these can go into a normal host and require only a mysql database and a domain to be relevant. most paid for hosts will gladly support that.

MastroSigns

Along with Signs/Printing I also own a wedding videography company and have a background in website design. I stumbled upon wix and decide to create my website for the wedding business there: http://www.mvproductionspgh.com As far as building a flash site (which, wix is all flash) it is the easiest thing I have ever found. However the major draw back is the fact that it is all flash. ipad, ipod, iphone any mobile apple device does not read flash so if someone is using one of those to access my site it won't show up. Once my year is up with them I'm going somewhere else just for that reason.