• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1 shot not drying

Jillbeans

In an extreme case (when you have nothing else to lose I guess) I have been told that you can mist the sign with hydrogen peroxide to help dry it.
A fan will help. Heat will help.
I hate when that happens, and maroon can be a pain, but I have had brilliant blue do it as well, along with bright red, black, and shading black.
More and more I'm using Ronan.
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The more heavily pigmented the color you are using... the longer it will take for that coat to dry.... or the colors you are using. For the most part, oil paints dry due to oxidation. In other words, exposure of the pigments and binding oil to air. Next, the amount of moisture or temperature of the air will speed up or slow down your drying time. Also, the condition of your paint. If lots of drying agents have been used up or the paint is old... it will take longer.

We kinda like when paint takes longer to dry. It flows out longer and creates a much glossier shine.... almost glass-like. I would say here in the Northeast, at this time of year and into the winter months, if you paint in the morning, it should almost be dry to touch in 6 to 8 hours. A second coat could be applied the next day after sanding and tacking the board.

chopper

did you spray the back ground color on?
I have had this happen quite a bit when it is sprayed on it takes forever to dry..
//chopper

JR's

Thanks Jill, misting hydrogen peroxide sounds scary. I will have to look in to Ronan paints.

Thanks Gino, We use to and still do add Boiled Linseed Oil to the paint to let it flow out. You get a real high gloss finish. I dint add it to this paint do to the temp.

Thanks Chopper, no we dint spray it on, roller.

Thanks OldPaint, No not latex background. we used Chromatic solvent based primer for metal and wood.

Thanks
JR