Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10mm coroplast cut tool?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by MHester, Feb 18, 2020.

1. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    I know this question has been asked enough times in the past. However, all I see are old threads dating back a couple years. Technology changes so quickly, I'm curious if anyone has come up with a better hand tool to cut shapes out of 10mm coroplast. I don't want to invest in the $$ for a flat bed cutter or CNC router, and I've heard using a jigsaw is way to time consuming. I only need to cut this material maybe 1-2 small jobs a month, so I don't want to invest $$. Any one know of a better way to cut this? Thanks :)

Tags:
  2. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    If you can buy from Harbor Sales they can cut it for you.

3. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Nope on the Harbor Sales :(

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    1 or 2 small jobs a month...... invest in a really nice jig saw or scroll saw...... or both. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Are the shapes consistently the same shape and size? Or are they always different?
    If the same; I would create a wood template/guide to clamp on top
    of the coro and use a hand router.

upload_2020-2-18_9-56-5.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
  7. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Thats a possible solution. Looking into the cost. Thanks.

8. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Thats great for shapes that are always the same shape/size, but not all are. I like your suggestion though, thank you.

9. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Can you post up an example of the type of shapes you are trying to cut? the complexity of the cut would dictate the method used.

10. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Not always the same size/shape. I'll keep this in mind though for items that are the same shape.

11. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Here's a couple pics. Cuts range from a simple curve to highly complex curves.

Attached Files:

12. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The only thing that I know of is this handheld CNC router, it's not as large of a investment as a CNC table & you can store it away.
    At around $2500 it still might not be worth it though.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Good jig saw is gonna run ya about $125 to $175. Decent 14" scroll saw about $400 to $600. Have 5 jig saws and one old ******* of a 22" scroll saw. Band saws are around, but you have far more control with a scroll saw. The curves would be ideal for the jig saw and that bug one would be fine on the scroll.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I bought a old hand held scroll saw at a yard sale years ago for $5, and it has been
    such a useful tool. It's similar to the one below, the knob at the top controls the direction of the blade.
    The blades I use are thinner than the one in the picture & I can get very detailed... I wonder if they make two sided blades?!?!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Wow, what a bargain find! Snag!
    Wouldn't it tear up 10mm coroplast? Wouldn't it shred it, such that you'd have to file it down afterwards (if that's even possible). Or would it give it a nice clean cut? That's what I'm concerned about the most, shredded cuts, using either a scroll saw or a jig saw.....

16. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Even on a CNC, coro cuts cr@ppy and needs to cleaned up.
    I think if you had fine a tooth blade; or even better a diamond abrasion blade , it would do well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You will get buggers from a jig saw to a small degree and that hand-held scroll saw, too. I had one of those and threw it out. Too much playing around for me. You do better with a very thin blade in a regular jig saw. However, I get nearly NO shredding from the scroll saw in any material.

18. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

If it's handheld, it's not CNC. CNC stands for computer numeric control. If it's handheld it's BHC. Or BAC.

19. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I believe it would be considered a "computer numeric control" router.
    It uses a built in computer to adjust the cutting head to the file, the only difference is the operator supplies the power for the X Y movements... plus they call it a CNC...

• Like Like x 1
  20. MHester

MHester Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Timberlake, NC
    Has anyone ever used a rotary saw like this one? Would it work, or wold it just tear up the coroplast?

Attached Files: