• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10mm coroplast cut tool?

MHester

I know this question has been asked enough times in the past. However, all I see are old threads dating back a couple years. Technology changes so quickly, I'm curious if anyone has come up with a better hand tool to cut shapes out of 10mm coroplast. I don't want to invest in the $$ for a flat bed cutter or CNC router, and I've heard using a jigsaw is way to time consuming. I only need to cut this material maybe 1-2 small jobs a month, so I don't want to invest $$. Any one know of a better way to cut this? Thanks :)

Andy D

Are the shapes consistently the same shape and size? Or are they always different?
If the same; I would create a wood template/guide to clamp on top
of the coro and use a hand router.

upload_2020-2-18_9-56-5.png

CanuckSigns

Can you post up an example of the type of shapes you are trying to cut? the complexity of the cut would dictate the method used.

MHester

Can you post up an example of the type of shapes you are trying to cut? the complexity of the cut would dictate the method used.

Here's a couple pics. Cuts range from a simple curve to highly complex curves.

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 442
  • CleanCats-Complete.jpg
    CleanCats-Complete.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 439

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good jig saw is gonna run ya about $125 to $175. Decent 14" scroll saw about $400 to $600. Have 5 jig saws and one old bastard of a 22" scroll saw. Band saws are around, but you have far more control with a scroll saw. The curves would be ideal for the jig saw and that bug one would be fine on the scroll.

Andy D

I bought a old hand held scroll saw at a yard sale years ago for $5, and it has been
such a useful tool. It's similar to the one below, the knob at the top controls the direction of the blade.
The blades I use are thinner than the one in the picture & I can get very detailed... I wonder if they make two sided blades?!?!

s-l640.jpg

MHester

I bought a old hand held scroll saw at a yard sale years ago for $5, and it has been
such a useful tool. It's similar to the one below, the knob at the top controls the direction of the blade.
The blades I use are thinner than the one in the picture & I can get very detailed... I wonder if they make two sided blades?!?!

s-l640.jpg

Wow, what a bargain find! Snag!
Wouldn't it tear up 10mm coroplast? Wouldn't it shred it, such that you'd have to file it down afterwards (if that's even possible). Or would it give it a nice clean cut? That's what I'm concerned about the most, shredded cuts, using either a scroll saw or a jig saw.....

Andy D

Wow, what a bargain find! Snag!
Wouldn't it tear up 10mm coroplast? Wouldn't it shred it, such that you'd have to file it down afterwards (if that's even possible). Or would it give it a nice clean cut? That's what I'm concerned about the most, shredded cuts, using either a scroll saw or a jig saw.....
Even on a CNC, coro cuts cr@ppy and needs to cleaned up.
I think if you had fine a tooth blade; or even better a diamond abrasion blade , it would do well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You will get buggers from a jig saw to a small degree and that hand-held scroll saw, too. I had one of those and threw it out. Too much playing around for me. You do better with a very thin blade in a regular jig saw. However, I get nearly NO shredding from the scroll saw in any material.

unclebun

The only thing that I know of is this handheld CNC router, it's not as large of a investment as a CNC table & you can store it away.
At around $2500 it still might not be worth it though.

If it's handheld, it's not CNC. CNC stands for computer numeric control. If it's handheld it's BHC. Or BAC.

Andy D

If it's handheld, it's not CNC. CNC stands for computer numeric control. If it's handheld it's BHC. Or BAC.

I believe it would be considered a "computer numeric control" router.
It uses a built in computer to adjust the cutting head to the file, the only difference is the operator supplies the power for the X Y movements... plus they call it a CNC...

MHester

Has anyone ever used a rotary saw like this one? Would it work, or wold it just tear up the coroplast?

Attachments

• rotary.jpg
    rotary.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 364