• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1204 vs 1604

jc1cell

I have a friend that will be purchasing a 1204 soon. Since it's being discontinued, the price has come into his range. However, I personally am concerned that maintenance on the 1204 will be a bit more of a challenge than with a 1604. Plus the size benefits that the 1604 has to offer.

How would you compare the maintenance of the 1204 and the 1604? My biggest concern is the flush box on the 1204. I was thinking of suggesting the 54" printer (1304?) but don't know if it has the flush or the bottle.

jc

GTSTech_1

It's true that the 1204 has limited cleaning area/space compared to the 1604. As for parts, the printhead and dampers are the same as the 1604, 1614, and new 1304,and should be readily available for the printers lifetime.

My $.02

GTSTech_1

PS- The 1304 has a same waste bottle as 1604.

copythat

1204 here

Is the 1204 not a ValueJet? I originally was suppose to recieve the 64" ValueJet model. Rep said it wouldn't fit through my front or back door. Was this a push by the rep. Meaning he switch knowing that I needed it a unit bad. I noticed a thread where they are discontinued. If that is the case, my trip to SGIA last year wasn't as productive as I though.

Service Sign Co

You must have small doors. Just recently helped a buddy install a machining center.We had to remove an outer wall to the building to get it in. I believe there are several here that had to do a little construction to get their printer where they wanted it. In other words,don't believe everything the sales rep says

copythat

2 late now

You must have small doors. Just recently helped a buddy install a machining center.We had to remove an outer wall to the building to get it in. I believe there are several here that had to do a little construction to get their printer where they wanted it. In other words,don't believe everything the sales rep says

I truly believe that he didn't have a 64" available at the time of purchase. Not mad cause I'm still making money on my unit. Only thing that gets me is I do lots of 24" x 36" posters & cause of the size restrictions. I can only run one up SUCKS!

Compilla

My biggest concern is the flush box on the 1204. I was thinking of suggesting the 54" printer (1304?) but don't know if it has the flush or the bottle.

jc

Both have the same flushing box, the 1204 uses a waste tray, the 1304 has a waste bottle.

:Oops:

randya

Hey Randya;

What's the difference between the original Mutoh VJ-1204 and the new Signwarehouse PrismJet -1204 other than the color ( Black ) ?
What speed difference ? Different firmware?

These have unique firmware and no Banner 4 mode (145sq.ft./hr).

stu carr

only one up

I truly believe that he didn't have a 64" available at the time of purchase. Not mad cause I'm still making money on my unit. Only thing that gets me is I do lots of 24" x 36" posters & cause of the size restrictions. I can only run one up SUCKS!

I am considering the 48" because of the price and I will also be doing many 24" x 36"'s. Do you think you ware wasting media this way and what would you do different?

MacDaddy

Why different firmware? They are are supposed to be the same printer, RIGHT?

The numbers are certainly different I believe...............

PartyMatt

I am considering the 48" because of the price and I will also be doing many 24" x 36"'s. Do you think you ware wasting media this way and what would you do different?

We have a 48" ValueJet, and I would say the only drawback is the fact that so much media comes in 54" rolls. We found a supplier who will cut down rolls for free, but it does push the media cost up a bit when you pay for 54" and print on only 48".

For 24"x36" sign you can get your 54" media cut to 50" and print two signs wide (48" print width). The 48" VJ's CAN print 48" wide, but it CAN'T print edge to edge. You need a little extra media for the margins.

We do quite a bit of 20" and 24" vinyl prints for our own use and prefer to print one sign at a time. It is easier to handle a smaller piece of vinyl, and produces less waste if there are an odd number of signs. It DOES slow down production speed, though. For all the signs in this size range we use a 54" roll cut in half by our supplier to make two 27" rolls. Works for us . . .

Capital Signs

Well, I here that if you get the 48" model you have a couple really important detramental factors to deal with. Dirt Slow, and along with NO ROOOM FOR ERROR. If you are printing a true 48" Print, then you will be going to exact size. No room for trim. So if media is a bit crooked, your F*&^*$... Anyways, just my .03 cents...

MacDaddy

After I spent the day putting one thru it's paces I can report that it will take up to 50 inch media and will print a full 48 inches when printing uni-directional... Because of an error in Flexi 8.5 v.1 and below that will only allow 47.2 inches you must be using 8.5v2 to print 48 inches without editing the csm file in flexi... Editing this file is actually easier than installing 8.5 v.2 but there are some added benefits to upgrading to v.2 which is a free upgrade... When printing bi-directional the printer will cover 47.2 inches... The speeds are not bad at all... For speed use the Banner 3 mode on the printer and in the software choose the no wave setting, you will actually clock speeds in excess of 170 sq ft per hour... I would only use this for banners and billboard signage... When printing in other modes with the wave turned on you will see speeds up to 100 sq ft per hour... Just my observation of a day of testing...

PartyMatt

Well, I here that if you get the 48" model you have a couple really important detramental factors to deal with. Dirt Slow, and along with NO ROOOM FOR ERROR. If you are printing a true 48" Print, then you will be going to exact size. No room for trim. So if media is a bit crooked, your F*&^*$... Anyways, just my .03 cents...

You can use custom-cut 50" media and print on 48" in uni and have room to trim. About the only thing we print 48" wide are banners, and after hemming that goes down to 46", so for us the 47.2" bi print mode is sufficient.

As for speed . . . we stopped using the high speed banner mode for anything other than our own banners. The banner modes show banding a bit more, don't make crisp edges, and don't produce nice solid fills. A banner printed on Banner 2 or 4 is perfectly acceptable at 10 feet, but our customers view it at arm's length when they pick it up. We use Graphics 2 for everything, including banners. It only prints 76 sq ft/hr, but the quality is clearly superior. I would rather double my printing time than to lose a customer.

At 70 sq ft/hr the 48" VJ is almost exactly the same speed as the 64" VJ in Graphics 2. (and most of Roland's printers in 720 dpi)

Capital Signs

What is the fastest setting in Flexi 8.1 for the ValueJet 1614 then? It has to be Bi-Directional I'm guessing. And at 720x720?

PartyMatt

What is the fastest setting in Flexi 8.1 for the ValueJet 1614 then? It has to be Bi-Directional I'm guessing. And at 720x720?

Should be Banner 4 -- 720, bi, 4 pass. It is supposed to do 180 sqft/hr on the 1614. Make sure to set the print mode on the printer as well as in Flexi or you'll get weird results.

MacDaddy

"The speeds are not bad at all... For speed use the Banner 3 mode on the printer and in the software choose the no wave setting, you will actually clock speeds in excess of 170 sq ft per hour..."

Opps!!!!!! Wrong Numbers..... :Oops:

The correct numbers are in excess of 100 Sq Ft per hour and 70 Sq Ft per hour...

Sorry for the mistake, I was thinking of another scenario...:doh: