• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

14' box truck, cut vinyl pricing?

J

john1

Hey guys, Any ideas on a ballpark to lettering a 14' white box truck with cut vinyl layered.

Colors are black, blue and orange. Lettering both sides and rear.

Customer wanted a ballpark cause hes thinking about purchasing this box truck very soon and i was thinking $950 Installed using cast of course since there is rivets.

2009 Signcraft says $975

Thanks for any tips!

iSign

got a layout?

what's your total material cost?

what is your anticipated hours of labor to cut, weed, mask & apply?

you have that all figured out right? ...it's fun to ask here, but you MUST do your own figuring, so give us the numbers & we'd have something to work with... or at least post the layout....

You do realize the smattering of trivial facts you've provided narrow it down to somewhere between $50 and $5000 right?

so, I'll go with $2475 until further notice...

There's no way I can make an accurate estimate until I know how much vinyl will be used.

1. X amount per square foot of vinyl used per color
2. Estimated installation time * shop rate
3. Design time * shop rate

J

john1

Yep, i have $307 in total material including the rolls of vinyl, app tape and cleaning supplies

Hours i'm estimating 8 @ $60 hr

I came up with $940.50 with 50% mark up on the materials to keep my pricing close to sign craft and rounded to $950 to keep it simple.

Layout in already done, Just need to size it for the bigger truck sides since i did his work van a few weeks ago.

OldPaint

14' x 7=98 sq ft. X 2= 196 rear door is say 7' x 7'=49 more. so for easy figures 250 SQ FT. work. now WHAT ARE YOU WORTH??????? apparently not much, with your$950 price.
go ahead give it away. 250 sq ft times $10 sq ft= $2500.00!!!!!!!!!!!! and your doing 3 colors in HP VINYL????? IF..... I was doing this in calendered it still would be $1250.00!!!!
so suit yourself.

CentralSigns

Dude your leaving a huge amount of money on the table. Most shops charge $10 plus plus that is per square foot. That's only for print and install, artwork is extra. You'll not be in business long, your a fool. Unless its for yourself, your working for nothing. Are you not laminating it, won't last if you don't. With vinyl and laminate you'll not make nothing.

J

john1

Dude your leaving a huge amount of money on the table. Most shops charge $10 plus plus that is per square foot. That's only for print and install, artwork is extra. You'll not be in business long, your a fool. Unless its for yourself, your working for nothing. Are you not laminating it, won't last if you don't. With vinyl and laminate you'll not make nothing.

What? Why would i laminate HP cut vinyl? Also, as i stated the artwork is done, It's exactly what we did on his work van a few weeks ago just blown up to fit the sides and rear.

I don't think $950 is a bad price, Hell after materials that's $643 profit and for 8 hours of work that comes to be shy of $81 hr which is pretty good IMO

Signcraft for my hourly rate area is at $975 so it looks im on the money IMO

iSign

show us the layout.
If you are correct on the 8 hour estimate, then you should be fine. (but be honest with yourself... if it's simple 3 color work, and only uses 1/3 of that truck... fine then... I've done dozens of layered vinyl box trucks.. and on the amount of coverage I've done, they usually take over twice your estimate!

Vinylman

Here's something ELSE to toss into this equation.

This truck is a rolling billboard, have you evaluated the ADVERTISING VALUE, that you are producing?

If you are selling just time and materials, then you can continue to eek out a living.

If you plan on growing and prospering in this business you need to look at it from a slightly different point of view.

How much would your truck owner pay to get the type of rolling advertising you are providing in any other media? Newspaper, billboards, site signs, or direct mail?

just asking!

AUTO-FX

And how much did you get for the van? is your pricing appropriately proportioned van to box truck? you already did his van, and i assume he's very happy with the fine job you did, so you have a little leverage to get you the best rate

Craig Sjoquist

GEES the advertising value alone is worth $2,000 a 14 ft box is about 8 ft high plus the back door also the front is very useful.

Box trucks, vans of this size are real advertising billboards that sell products and services better then any other form of advertising better then just a plain van even or storefront signage, if anyone has used a mobile box before you know what I'm talking about, if you charge $3,000 or more and took payments they still would make great profits from sales from just the box van travels and the payments would be quick.

wildside

I don't think $950 is a bad price, Hell after materials that's $643 profit and for 8 hours of work that comes to be shy of $81 hr which is pretty good IMO

Signcraft for my hourly rate area is at $975 so it looks im on the money IMO

First Signcraft don't pay your bills....

Second, using your math, you are only making $21 an hour profit, if you said $60 an hour in labor. I am not questioning that you will make money, i am questioning that it takes 8 hours to install 307 sq ft of vinyl?

JAMEY

Lets see the artwork.

Utilizing that area with fair coverage at 250 Sq.Ft., you are basically selling your work for $3.80/Sq. Ft..

Dude, that's a sin. In some slow markets we see other "pro" shops doing it for as low as $6/Sq. Ft. and they are basically giving it away.

Maybe my numbers are off because I didn't see your artwork and it may be less coverage....if so....then let us know.

I got screwed on one time...and never will again. I just sold 3 colors HP Ready To Apply (and some artwork) for a grand and didn't install anything. He got a good deal.

mark galoob

id like to know what the total sq ft you are actually doing on this vehicle...then your question can be addressed accuratly.

mark galoob

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like the others.... a layout would help determine what you need to get, price-wise.

Everyone from the Maryland area seems to be undercutting prices like crazy lately. Is there something going on down there that we should all know about ??

Are you going from top to bottom and completely left to right of the entire box or are you using a nice design that uses all kinds of crazy fonts and mindless weeding. Sometime the waste needs to be considered based on certain layouts. These are some of the many things that must be considered when throwing out numbers. That's why your $975 sounds off to most.

signmeup

Wow! Some responders didn't read the first post very carefully. It's cut vinyl. (one guy even had him laminating it) He doesn't give even a hint of how much coverage he's talking about. It could be 2' x 4' for all we know. Damn good money for that coverage.

gnemmas

If he is charging $950 for the 14', I am guessing he got $500 for the panel van.

Sigmeup is right, let's not wasting our time without giving more detail of the job.

I will just say from $150 to $2,500.