• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

16' In-ground Road Sign

TreasureBox

Looking for someone a little more experienced with these types of signs. I don't do this type of work but have a client who is looking to get several of these put along their 600acre property. I mocked up what I think would be right and wanted some advice. I have attached a drawing and put a few options of how to fasten the MDO to the post. Is MDO the way to go with this double 4x8 design? Trying to keep the cost down so 2qty MDO printed on both sides would be ideal.

If I can keep it down to 2 MDOs I am quoting around $1400 print and install. Is this about what this job would be?

Road Sign Dia@4x-100.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Billct2

First, you are going to be told that you should check with zoning, if applicable. Second there are formulas for figuring post/foot based on size of the sign/wind load.
That being said Ii wouldn't use 4x4 wood for this. I would use either 6"x6" or 4x4 steel. I'd use the Option C. But I might consider crossmemembers with 2 panels on each side. Price sounds too cheap.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like he said, check with your local municipality for those specs to be sure. The goal is to put the sign(s) up according to codes, not to save them money. However, you have shown 2pcs 48" x 96" one on top of the other. Is this sign gonna end up being 96" x 96" ?? Your installation of one of these setups is gonna be about $700 to $900 alone and that doesn't include obtaining permits or engineer drawings. Again, what's the end size of this sign ??

TreasureBox

This property is outside city limits but will double-check.
I will run a search for this formula. Yes, I agree 4x4 would not be sufficient. In the drawing, I have a 4x6 but will probably bump it up to 6x6 along with 2x6 crossmembers. Doing so will increase the price which is fine I don't want to cut myself short.
Thanks for the feedback Bill!

TreasureBox

Hey Gino,

I was hoping you would see this. I have seen and gained lots of great advice from your posts.
The printed area will end up being a total of 8'x8' and they want about 4' below I guess for more visibility and mower clearance. This will be about 12' out of the ground. I will definitely look into permit and engineer reqs for this area.

Scotchbrite

No comment
How long are they supposed to last? The appropriate size wood posts probably won't be cheaper than steel.

According to my old section modulus chart, you'd need a 5"sch40 steel pipe on each side. I'm not sure how that would translate to wood posts, but I'm thinking it's something bigger than 6x6. Your footings would need to be around 2'x5' minimum.

In my area, if it's outside city limits it falls under the county. We would definitely have to pull permits with the county on signs like this. Unfortunately the county is more restrictive a lot of times, especially when it comes to ag zoning.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then, you're gonna need to most likely put up three 4" x 4" 16' posts sandwiched between two pcs of 6mm ACM. I think you're gonna need to go in the ground about 5' if you're not making a pad. Use sonotubes to help. I think you're around 1/2 of the price you should be at. If they don't like the price, then perhaps tell them they need to find someone who won't work with codes.

2B

Why MDO Board? With this being a panel project, we would make a hidden frame to ensure the seam doesn't separate
Would use metal / aluminum instead of wood, for all parts

Option C is the method we would do.
plant poles, as cement is setting, install the frame between the poles, once set install the faces onto the said frame

When listing "sizes", we use the amount of visible area to describe the sign
EXAMPLE: this would be a 96" x 96", 2 sided, between pole, 48" above grade clearance

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are these permanent signs or temperary?

If it's temperary, I'd use ACM panels and 4x6 wood posts. If permanent, upgrade to steel posts. I like to do hidden frame in the middle with sign panels on either side.

TreasureBox

Thanks 2B I will practice better size listing/drawing specs. I was afraid ACM would rip off seeing as how it's a very wide-open area and they can get some strong winds. ACM would be much easier to handle.

I appreciate everyone's advice!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Those do not look like 8' x 8' signs. They look very temporary. VERY. They wouldn't last 4 seasons around here.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Agreed! Just showing what was out there.
Are you doing a developer / real estate sign? If so, you don't have to over think it... The city won't ask for engineered drawings on that crap... developers / real-estate signs are in their own class.

Those signs last just fine... they are all over the place. The ACM is fine when you have them on both sides.

I was western San Antonio two weeks ago and noticed those developer signs and couldn't believe housing "starting at 200s" down there.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We get wind here and I see signs like those broken on the ground all the time. Or at the very least lots of 2x4 shoring braces are scabbed on.

I figure they do them cheap and figure the low cost makes it tolerable to have to replace them frequently.

TreasureBox

Wow, hard to compete with quality like that :roflmao:. So what were those made with?
Lol yea I’m sure they’re not gonna like my quote. Yep the State Farm and 200s houses were the only ones not swaying in the wind. 4 MDOs on 2qty 4x6 posts no crossmembers.
321D40D1-A4B7-4904-AAFB-818A9B65A4E5.jpeg
C811DFF0-BBEB-4029-BEBD-4B33FDE8AB4E.jpeg

visual800

Now that I do what we are dealing with which is cheapa$$ temp signs. I would do 4x4x14 treated posts with 2x4 bracing and for the panels I would use .5" coroplast panes with screws and large washers to hold them to post. My price would be $2400 for double sided sign installed printed graphics included on that quote . If they didnt like it they could go elsewhere. I would not bother the city with anything regarding this install....of course I never need the citys imput on anything

mdo is heavy and pricey. I think OP is overthinking the install on this, this is not a footing for a skyscraper, 3' down should do it

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Now that I do what we are dealing with which is cheapa$$ temp signs. I would do 4x4x14 treated posts with 2x4 bracing and for the panels I would use .5" coroplast panes with screws and large washers to hold them to post. My price would be $2400 for double sided sign installed printed graphics included on that quote . If they didnt like it they could go elsewhere. I would not bother the city with anything regarding this install....of course I never need the citys imput on anything

mdo is heavy and pricey. I think OP is overthinking the install on this, this is not a footing for a skyscraper, 3' down should do it
Exactly.