• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

18ml cutting issues

I have only been using my new Roland SP540V for maybe 6 months. I am making dirt bike decals which consist of a 6ml convex laminated with 12ml Pro Shield. 18ml all together. I have a 60 degree blade installed and have the blade pressure maxed out at 300 and still i am not cutting all the way through the material. How do I contour cut such thick material? I know others do it, just not sure how. I would rather not do multiple cut paths since one is always cleaner. Can anyone help???

Noah Samson
visualconceptsdesignandprint.com

ChiknNutz

I know others have said that they successfully do it with the Roland, but I have to disagree. I've tried this same stackup with dismal results...multiple passes never did fully cut it to my satisfaction. The good thing, though, is you KNOW this is a quality product (meaning the vinyl)!

petepaz

i have the same machine and have trouble cutting 3.5mil vinyl w/ 5 mil polycarbonate
usually if i cut twice it will go through

I contacted the company who makes my materials and they said to do it at 170 pressure with 7 or 8 as the speed and it will work perfectly. I did this, and it seemed to track way off course. Always hits dead on when i do it at 20, but gets off at slower pace. Also, it didn't even come close to getting all the way through the material. Hopefully I can figure it out soon and let you all know. Thanks for the help so far.

ackerman139

that is what i do on mine. 172 pressure, 6 speed. Works beautiful. I can cut the 14 mil with the standard, original blade.

synergy_jim

here we go again

I know others have said that they successfully do it with the Roland, but I have to disagree. I've tried this same stackup with dismal results...multiple passes never did fully cut it to my satisfaction. The good thing, though, is you KNOW this is a quality product (meaning the vinyl)!

1) make sure the blade holder is tight in the holster.

2) use a 60 degree roland blade ( sharp helps...). cheap imitations beware....

3) on my xc-540 we cut @ 5cm/sec and 200grams of pressure for 6mil convex w/ 8 mil lam or 240 grams w/ 6 mil convex w/ 12 mil lam.

1 pass cut will do it....

I can upload video to youtube for all the naysayers out there, but I printed and cut 4 full bike kits today and my happy customers are all the proof I need that rolands can handle this stuff no problem.
:help:

synergy_jim

no problem.....

Jim...not a naysayer, but would like to see a video...at least it would be worth watching.

the next time I cut a kit, I'll video tape the whole deal and post it to my site and drop a link here.

I am dumbfounded at the trouble people have with this stuff. I have been cutting it since the sp-300 days here at the shop with no issues whatsoever.

JD

graphix28

Just started using the 18 mil about 2 weeks ago, wears down my blades pretty fast but will cut through at about 250 gfs and speed at 7. seems like I have to turn up the force each time because my blades get dull pretty quick.

you are cutting this stuff with one pass? Incredible. I have a brand new roland 60 blade and haven't been able to get those kind of results in three days of trying with one or two cuts on any settings. How long are your prints? one cut doesn't seem to do it and two never seems to line up well enough.

graphix28

My prints are anywhere from 20" to 50" on the longer prints it cuts good til the last 6" or so, then I usually have to finish it up with an exacto.

Not sure if the motor is adjustable. it definetely might be that some are just stronger than others. I just tried 2 cuts at 250 which wasn't deep enough and didn't really line up perfectly enough to be effective. then i tried one pass at maximum 300 and it is my best results yet. i am weeding it, but it is tearing in spots. at least after days of messing with this i am getting somewhere. Thanks for all your input. would love to see that video of the Roland cutting this 18ml perfectly. Maybe slightly different materials that cut differently even though they are all 18ml? I dunno.