Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

19th century Springfield Wagon Co. logo

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by Master's Touch, May 13, 2011.

1. Master's Touch

Master's Touch Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Conway
    A friend of mine owns the rights to the original Springfield Wagon Company, and he wanted a letterhead design that was reflective of the company's heritage. This is the one color version I came up with for letterhead and trailer lettering...

SPRINGFIELD.jpg

Edit: I know I posted it wrong...HELP!

Offsite pic replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
    Tags:
  2. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I like it.

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Nice

4. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    I like the direction taken however, IMHO, it fails in terms of the lack of recognition given to "The Old Reliable Since 1872" portion of the design. I would think that some greater recognition would be displayed for something of such importance.

5. Fitch

Fitch Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Great content..... it's just the weight of the content that bothers me...

Cheers - G

6. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I don't care for the "wave" distortion in the header.
    While waves were very common back in the day, and I love seeing them, I don't like that large-to-small computery-looking distortion.
    There's a bit of a mix of eras in the fonts used, and there are too many display faces.
    A simple Egyptian style would have worked wonders for this, also the font Tapeworm would have been more period correct for prioritizing your copy.
    I also think the vector art panel is out of place.
    What's also lacking is the odd use of a period at the end of a line of text like one used to see in old signs.
    More research could have made this a stunning project.
    Love....Jill

7. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    With some tweaks and refinement, this could turn into a nice brand label. All good advice above.

8. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    I like it, it has a nice late 1800 period look, like SignManiac said just finish it up.

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Nice start, Especially with the cloud effect popular in that era. But...

It's way too strung out, try stacking 'Springfield' on top of 'Wagon Company'.

The eye does not flow easily over the whole thing. It's just four separate and visually unrelated objects: the name, 'old reliable...', 'manufacturer's of...', 'and 'road and farm...'. All sitting there waiting to be discovered.

10. Master's Touch

Master's Touch Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Conway
    Thanks for the advice and comments...especially Jill's :) I wish I had posted the original letterhead that I was somewhat bound to. The layout is strung out and disconnected there, and I was sorta forced to follow that. That all said, I agree with most points. I just had a hoot playing with the period thing since it's not usually my forte'.