• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 Color Layering

FinishLineGFX

I do a lot of race cars, and 98% of the time the numbers are 2 colors or more. Now I have been layering the vinyl using two reference squares at the top. Someone mentioned to me that you can buy a spray that goes on the bottom layer that lets you position your top color perfectly. Does anyone know of this?

This is mainly regarding numbers and large sponsor lettering.

neato

Are you talking about application fluid?

It's nice to hear someone is still layering vinyl. :)

FinishLineGFX

Well I am not sure, can you spray that on the bottom layer? I just need something so I can position the top layer perfectly. Especially with numbers since if your off by a 1/8 inch you can make some funky looking numbers.

Yeah I layer vinyl, suprisingly people still do not want to pay for printed graphics. But I work with asphalt guys so not many wraps in asphalt around here.

strypguy

I built a table with 1/4" tempered glass and 4' lights below it. You can then position the vinyl and see exactly what you ar doing.

John

Sticker Dude

I built a table with 1/4" tempered glass and 4' lights below it. You can then position the vinyl and see exactly what you ar doing.

John

Can you show some pics of the table I am drawing up some plans figuring out if I should inlay the glass if plywood or just cut a aquare out and lay a sheet of glass on top
Lets see some pics!

Conor Knoxx

I always use transparent/clear transfer tape for my top layers, instead of registration marks (squares) which I find WAY easier and more accurate.

By the time you cut and apply two layers of vinyl though, it is arguable whether that is cheaper than print/cut/apply a single layer.

The only time I actually use layers now, is if one or both layers need to be metallic or reflective.

When you also add in the incredible convenience of air-release media to printed vinyls, its hard to justify the effort and expense of layered solid colors.

strypguy

My table is 30" x 7' long made of 2x4 wood framed. Simple and works well.

I'll try to post a pic later.

John

Buntrock

Allright, I've been out of it for the last 3 years, but it is nice to hear that somebody is still layering, Wow! How about hand lettering the first shade like black one shot and everything gets layered over that. Wow!

yahhoo

I always use transparent/clear transfer tape for my top layers, instead of registration marks (squares) which I find WAY easier and more accurate.

By the time you cut and apply two layers of vinyl though, it is arguable whether that is cheaper than print/cut/apply a single layer.

The only time I actually use layers now, is if one or both layers need to be metallic or reflective.

When you also add in the incredible convenience of air-release media to printed vinyls, its hard to justify the effort and expense of layered solid colors.
Vinyl colour will last longer and no need for lamination...i suppose you could just print/lam/cut if you want to redo it every 3-4 years....in this case i would go two layers of high-perf.

chopper

Vinyl colour will last longer and no need for lamination...i suppose you could just print/lam/cut if you want to redo it every 3-4 years....in this case i would go two layers of high-perf.

on these race cars you would be lucky to get them to last the whole season so I wouldn't worry about 3-4 years,

also I have printed graphics that have been out for over 5 years and still look as good as when they were applied, so you might be off on your 3-4 year figure..
//chopper

sdwnymph

When I do any vinyl (cut or print), I use Illustrator and always make boxes around all my cuts. When I do layered vinyl, my boxes will be exactly the same so when put them up I can line the top box w/ the bottom box perfectly. If I dont put it together on the table I put the 2 layers together (taped off), tape off the bottom layer at the bottom, and the top layer at the top, then do a rubbing technique to make sure the 2 are lined up still before laying it. To me, doing boxes is always a good idea, gives you a line to measure by (w/ curved text or objects), and able to line up layers.

CentralSigns

I do a lot of layering. Just finished a job for a greenhouse, 5 different colors layered out. Best money spent for him as his logos will last 9+ years, works out to a cheaper per year advertising price. Good luck on your race cars.

Gordy Saunders

I just use transfer fluid and do it by eye on the substrate. I trust my eyes. My eyes know where it is suppose to go. But, then again, I am an old brush man. Back in the day you just took a grease pencil and laid it out.

W

wetgravy

application fluid works .. also just water with a little bit of dish soap works the same as well if you're in a pinch or want to practice. just spray, float, sqeegie and prepare to wait a few minutes to let the adhesive get a firm grip. Also, clear transfer tapes don't work well with application fluid ... they don't allow water to pass through the tape.

And I've done more than a couple partial wraps with layered vinyl just because the customer only wanted solid colors and needed it to last a couple years without fading. Still a valid way to go if longevity and design is the issue ... also doesn't use up a ton of ink to print a solid color.

signgal

we do it all the time. my production guy loves it... did a big banner last month with several colors on the graphic. he was like a little kid

Jillbeans

I use stars as registration marks but I have a pretty good eye so I don't really need them.
Use Rapid Tac, spray the bottom layer and the back of the top layer, then squeegee the bejeezus out of it.
I never use clear tape, especially with a wet app.
And I never pre-layer because I get the bubblez.
Love....Jill

I use registration marks on all four corners as well. Works great - if installing yourself do it layer by layer and not a finished 2 or however many layer vinyl all at once, I have found it almost impossible to get a good squeege on the vinyl without getting bubbles around the edges of the letter/number.

Dry is the way to go, much faster IMO.

G-Artist

When layering in the shop it should be done dry. You do not want to wet the first color
carrier sheet.

Ever since my first multi-color vinyl job, I have used a 3-point registration system like I use
in my screen print business. I use industry std. print reg marks. Weed the first positive
and the second a negative and when they align perfectly you can see that it does even
in low light or with bad eyesight.

A "trick" I use is to cut away the app tape from the reg. marks only. Dampen your finger
and moisten the 3 exposed reg. marks. Now align. When perfect, hinge tape and apply as normal.
If you need to move the second color a bit, the moistening of the reg. marks will allow you to
do that w/o the two colors sticking to each other.