Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Questions: Firmware Upgrade Safe? / Online Source for Blades?

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by SlamMan, Feb 8, 2007.

1. SlamMan

SlamMan Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Colorado
    Ok, actually 3 questions. First, can anyone recommend a reputable place to buy Graphtec blades on line?

Next, I'm thinking about upgrading the firmware on my plotter. The current version on it is 1.01 I believe and it works just fine. Can someone give me an idea of what the improvements that are included with the most current version. Would there be any reason not to upgrade the firmware?

Lastly, are there any improvements in the latest version of the Cutting Master software?

Thanks, Michael

Tags:
  2. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Blades = One place - CleanCut Blades ask for Ross and let him know you are a 101 member...

3. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    if your firmware is running fine now,, there is no need to upgrade it..

4. SlamMan

SlamMan Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Colorado
    Thanks guys. I mostly cut paint protection film with the plotter, some vinyl. Is the cb15u holder and blades a worth while upgrade? What are it's advantages if any?

5. MobileImpact

MobileImpact Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it!!!

Kevin

6. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I will agree with that. Recently I was having problems with my network and was advised to do a firmware update to my router by the tech support. That was a big mistake, now my router doest work right, they sent me a new one that is worst then the original one, waiting on another replacement!

7. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    CleanCut all the way.....

8. PGSigns

PGSigns Active Member

Apr 1, 2005
    I just switched to the clean cut blades in my Graphtec and I am very happy. You can't go wrong, very good blade and he gives a discount to Signs 101 members.
    Jimmy

9. Speeddm

Speeddm Member

Jan 28, 2007
  10. SlamMan

SlamMan Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Colorado
    Thanks again everyone. I'll give Clean Cut a shot.

11. cleancutblade

cleancutblade Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Waterloo
    Thanks for the recommendations guys, you don't know how much I appreciate it!!! Slamman you brought up a good point:

How do I get my discount?

If you just make note that you are a member at Signs 101 and what your forum name is, we will make sure that you get your discount when we process your order. We are still small enough that I will usually pick it up.

12. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    As everyone else has said CLEANCUT BLADES are the way to go. I purchased 5 blades from Ross and love them. The service he provided was great and very quick shipping.

13. ahollow

ahollow Active Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Well, the graphtec website documents what all the firmware upgrades fix. I upgraded from 1.01 to 1.5 to current 1.8, I think. Each upgrade helped with issues I had in earlier versions, mostly oon contour cutting and media sensors misreading at improper times.

I would definitely look into the firmware upgrades, unless you are still running Windows 1.0. :)

14. Red Aero

Red Aero New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Please help!

I just purchased a Graphtec CE5000-60 in order to cut vinyl graphics for Radio Control Aircraft. I have a Mac G5, OSX Tiger (Vers 10.4.8) I've installed the Cut Master 2 Adobe Illustrator CS2 Plug-in. I'm connected via USB cable that came with plotter. I can create artwork, open the settings window, but when I try to send to plotter, it gives me a "can not open port" notice in the status colomn. Does anyone know what is going on. Plotter works fine when I run a test cut from plotter display. Do I need additional software?

Thanks,
    Ken

15. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Check your setting under the COMMAND menu.

HP-GL

16. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I don't know macs, but sounds like a firewall problem!

17. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

CleanCut!

18. EZAMORA

EZAMORA Member

May 8, 2006
    Bakersfield ca
    it could be your usb connection. thats what i have a problme with.l

19. Case

Case Member

Jul 21, 2004
    IN
    when cutting out of the illustrator plug-in.....your plotter needs to be in GP-GL mode... when cutting out of Omega, Cut Server(onyx), Flexi, etc. then you need to be in HP-GL mode...

20. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Case is correct, I had it backwards for ILL.... :-(