• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

20' banner - uh oh print not to good in one spot

gabagoo

This has always been a thorn in my side when it comes to digital printing.
I am currently running 2 20' x 4' banners which are primarily black and red. Somewhere along the 15' mark I see this 1/4' area where the ink did not go down well (possible contaminate from cheap chinese banner material no doubt). I have no plans on reprinting and figure I can only pretend not to see it and deal with the consequences later on if I have to. It is not such a bad defect, but it is there. Is there a way to fix stuff like this? Sharpie markers are generally to dark to cover them up. What do you guys do?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Hate to say it but I generally reprint. Policy here is not to pretend we don't see, but deal with it upfront. Sometimes we let the customer make the call - about half of the time they say it's fine. But someone spending the money for a banner that size is going to want their money's worth IMHO.

cr.designs

I'll usually spend the extra money on a better banner material. Keep one good roll in stock and one cheap roll. Use the better coated material for large full color prints and the cheaper roll for 1-2 color banners with white background. Its worth paying a few cent extra for the material to not worry about reprinting and poor quality banners.

gabagoo

cant post, it's rolled up at this point and it is a rush job. The spot is not devoid of ink, it is just not as uniform as the rest of the black. Heck I think it really only shows when light glares on it and this banner will be hung fairly high. Trust me I dont put garbage out there, but to reprint would generally mean we lose on it and would be late.
It would make me wonder if printing black banners in the future should be done at all.
worse comes to worse I show it and see if a discount will get me by on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's something very small that we noticed but won't really be seen or noticed by anyone, we'll let it go. However, as you put it... 3" of noticeable misprinting would not pass our door going out for money.

We've already had some where we didn't know what to do and like Stacy.... had the customer make the call, but from a few feet away. Sometimes we're over-cautious, but better that than to have someone spread bad chit around about you.

gabagoo

not 3" .25" small invisible

as to quality banners...huh? I don't think they exist anymore. Every roll I order from different sources always comes packaged the same way. All comes from the same factory in China it seems.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but last I looked 1/4' equated to 3".

No big deal about your misprint, but then when I said we'll let small imperfections go through.... there was generally lots of colors and the make-up of the pixels more than covered up the imperfection. If yours is a solid color... a quarter of an inch might just be too much.

I'm not advocating lying or whatever, but you could say.... in your haste to get the job done, you never saw it and would gladly give them a discount or do the banner over.... whichever you decide. That way it's hard for them to get mad at you since it was a quick turnaround and you gave them the choice to make their own decision.

gabagoo

Sorry, but last I looked 1/4' equated to 3".

No big deal about your misprint, but then when I said we'll let small imperfections go through.... there was generally lots of colors and the make-up of the pixels more than covered up the imperfection. If yours is a solid color... a quarter of an inch might just be too much.

I'm not advocating lying or whatever, but you could say.... in your haste to get the job done, you never saw it and would gladly give them a discount or do the banner over.... whichever you decide. That way it's hard for them to get mad at you since it was a quick turnaround and you gave them the choice to make their own decision.

thats what I plan as I really do not have the time to reprint.

Mainframe

I keep a bag full of sharpie markers & any other permanent marker type I can find, in as many colors as possible, I put on magnifier glasses & have "fixed" tons of marginal flaws that I encounter on prints & banners, the trick seems to be to tap the marker up & down on the print to fix it a few dots at a time, works for me.

dlndesign

I agree with mainframe, there are occasions where you just do not have the time or the money to spend re-printing. I keep prisma markers on hand, and they work great. They lay down on the materials pretty easily and they are light so you can do a few passes to get the color just right. They are a little pricey, but I've had mine since art school.

gabagoo

I too do this but black is a tough colour as this particular black is not as rich as I anticipated. I suppose a dark brown sharpie could work, and yes I agree with the dot pattern, and would add sometimes the smear technique works too.

MikePro

if its not bad, just not perfect... just suck it up and admit to the client that there was an issue with the print... and before going to reprint it entirely, you'd like to offer him a x% discount (generally equally or less than the cost of reprinting)

an informed client, is a happy one... or at least you have it documented that he chose price over quality

p3

I have just printed out that one piece of the banner on vinyl and laid it over and couldn't even tell customer loved it.

Mosh

If you lose on a reprint you need to raise your prices! Crap, did I just say that?????