• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2013 Walldogs Design

Joe Diaz

IF we make it through the Apocalypse in 2012, 2013's Walldog meet will be held in Kewanee, Illinois.

Here is the design I came up with for the shirts:
wallhogs.jpg
Kewanee's nickname is the Hog Capital of the World, so that is the reason for the hog rather than the normal dog mascot we use.

They better have a the best tasting pork-chop sandwiches there if they want me to take their nickname seriously..:thumb:

Jillbeans

I'd love to see the border and outlines in black (I love pink and black together)
Actually all the parts you have maroon except for the top date part in black.
I'd also like to see the pig holding the mask rather than the mask laying down/overlapping the border part.
I also don't like the white paint drip.
I'd like to see the goldish part in grey.
Except for the lines up top, I'd make them in white to look like a roadway.
Of course, as it stands, it's fine.
I'm just not 100% in love with the colors.
I know I sound like Mrs. McPicky but I don't mean to.
Love....Jill

JoshLoring

I like it Joe- great illustration as usual. Always impressed by your vector work!

It might look good to tie in the paintbrush with a hair of paint drip off of the g in Walldogs as well.

Joe Diaz

I'd love to see the border and outlines in black (I love pink and black together)
Actually all the parts you have maroon except for the top date part in black.
I'd also like to see the pig holding the mask rather than the mask laying down/overlapping the border part.
I also don't like the white paint drip.
I'd like to see the goldish part in grey.
Except for the lines up top, I'd make them in white to look like a roadway.
Of course, as it stands, it's fine.
I'm just not 100% in love with the colors.
I know I sound like Mrs. McPicky but I don't mean to.
Love....Jill

I guess the thing about the copper and maroon that I like over black and grey is that it gives the design a bit more warmth and color. If I were to swap out the maroon for black and the copper for grey, it would mostly be a gray scale design with the exception of the few spots that have pink. I do think I will darken the maroon though.

I'm on the fence about the paint drip myself, on one hand it illustrates that this is all hand painted work, on the other hand it could make it look as though we are a messy bunch, which could be slightly true. :omg::Big Laugh I think I'm going to let Cornbread, whose hosting the meet, decide that one.

I've played around with the idea of having him holding the mask vs it on the floor. Ultimately I personally liked it on the floor better, My dad liked him holding it more, so that could change as well, again I'll have to see what Cornbread thinks.

Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like it as is.

If I were to critique like Mrs McPicky, I'd like to add, I think the contrast between the pink and white is not strong enough. Also, the paint blob at the bottom looks 2D instead of 3D.... can you add a little on the plane he's standing on so you get the complete feeling of it dripping ??

One last thing.... instead of a naked pig, could you dress him in some bib-overalls and possibly a hat ?? Most wall-doggers wear a hat in that hot sun.......

:rock-n-roll:

signswi

I read it as a dog head not a mask and thought it was a bit disturbing. Not sure I agree with Jill about needing black, avoiding pure tones like black is a good way to create mood.

Marlene

I read it as a dog head not a mask and thought it was a bit disturbing

me too! I saw the dog head and wondered why he chopped the head off a dog. other than that, it is really cool. I like the colors just the way they are

Joe Diaz

I would be interested to know how exactly one might illustrate it differently to look any more like a mask.

qmr55

I would be interested to know how exactly one might illustrate it differently to look any more like a mask.

Make it so the mask is leaning against the wall next to the pig, that way you can show the back of the mask from an angle and really show the string that holds it on.

Marlene

making it so that it has details in the front but has a well defined flattening so that if you looked at the profile, it would have demensional features in the front but would end as a flat line like an old style kid's Halloween mask. also the eyes need to look cut out so the person (or pig) wearing it sees thru the holes. when seen from the side, only the front of the face would be covered. the one you have is more like the whole head style of mask so it looks like a head instead of a mask that just covers the face.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For the people buying or wearing these shirts, don't you think they'll already get the picture since they will be so closely connected with the whole thing ?? Not really like making a sign for thousands upon thousands to see it and wonder what it's all about.

As Joe mentioned, there is a change of animals/mascot and I think the inside joke is being cleverly displayed.

Craig Sjoquist

I like the start indeed ... copper and maroon are great colors to me since this a news to me about the event will look on map for it.

See ya at Arcola.

Joe Diaz

Yeah Phillip, you should definitely come. I would love to meet you in person.

Hey Joe I think you have a wonky node on the upper right side of the W!
Nah that's the way that lettering style is. It's on the "o" too. It's kind of like a loop/curl at the end of a script. I choose it for this project because it reminded me of the curly tail on a pig.

I like the start indeed ... copper and maroon are great colors to me since this a news to me about the event will look on map for it.

See ya at Arcola.
Yeah I'll see you there Craig. Looking forward to it. Cornbread is hosting this meet in Kewanee too. He posted the announcement on facebook, CSA and letterville a while back, but since it's more than a year off and our attention is all on Arcola, it hasn't been discussed too much.

For some reason it seems I've become the guy to announce these Walldog meets on Signs101. I'm not as aggressive about pushing it as most. In the past I would post something and it would be on page 2 or 3 in a matter of hours, so many might miss out. I don't want to nag or annoy people about it, but really do think that these meets are great for anyone in the industry to attend and learn. I'm sure you can back me up on that opinion.