• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions 25K Budget what printer??

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Very interesting this makes sense.

1. What laminate passed any idea?
2. Id like to go with peel and stick and ditch the paste.
3. Whats a good laminate over a peel and stick to add durability?

With a latex machine you don't have to worry about that problem at all, just print and install, no lam needed.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Very interesting this makes sense.

1. What laminate passed any idea?
2. Id like to go with peel and stick and ditch the paste.
3. Whats a good laminate over a peel and stick to add durability?

Any cast laminate should work but confirm with the manufacturer first. In their case they went with Arlon 3220.

Chase

New Printers for Christmas!
Any cast laminate should work but confirm with the manufacturer first. In their case they went with Arlon 3220.

What ink passed the lab just to be clear. Eco Solovent or latex ect? Thanks for your help.

hcardwell93

I posted the photo in another thread here, but I have a sign that was put up in the summer of 2010 that faces due west.

It was printed on an HP Latex machine and the colors are still nice and vibrant. In my mind the latex is just as durable as solvent based inks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I posted the photo in another thread here, but I have a sign that was put up in the summer of 2010 that faces due west.

It was printed on an HP Latex machine and the colors are still nice and vibrant. In my mind the latex is just as durable as solvent based inks.

While due west is an issue, the real test is due south. Southwest and southeast are your next problems, but due west only gets the setting sun, which is generally at a much less angle. We have plenty of signs up all around our area and some have been out for 15 years and still look good, both flatbed printed and solvent ink. Our own sign has been out for almost 15 years, faces west and still looks good. I also have signs I handpainted 30 years ago still up and looking mighty decent.

Chase

While due west is an issue, the real test is due south. Southwest and southeast are your next problems, but due west only gets the setting sun, which is generally at a much less angle. We have plenty of signs up all around our area and some have been out for 15 years and still look good, both flatbed printed and solvent ink. Our own sign has been out for almost 15 years, faces west and still looks good. I also have signs I handpainted 30 years ago still up and looking mighty decent.

When I think about durability it's more indoor and highly scratch resistant durability I require. Does anyone have feedback on using HP latex on indoor wallcovering laminated or not and having it survive a coin or key scratch test?

CanuckSigns

With a latex machine you don't have to worry about that problem at all, just print and install, no lam needed.

When we bought our first Roland the sales guy said the same thing, no need to laminate, while it's technically true, it really is extremely bad advice to give anyone.

If you want to put out the best product you can, it needs to be laminated, there is no magic printer than can print on vinyl and have it be as durable as a laminated print.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
When we bought our first Roland the sales guy said the same thing, no need to laminate, while it's technically true, it really is extremely bad advice to give anyone.

If you want to put out the best product you can, it needs to be laminated, there is no magic printer than can print on vinyl and have it be as durable as a laminated print.

That's all BS sir. You don't laminate wallpaper for the best product, and there is a magic printer where you don't need to laminate and it's called LATEX. Applications where you always need to laminate are things like full car wraps. DONT NEED TO LAMINATE WALLPAPER, CANVAS, FLOOR GRAPHICS, FABRIC GRAPHICS.

I speak the truth so please don't tell me my advice is bad, I have been helping companies do this for a long time and I sell laminators and laminates also so it's not like I wouldn't prefer them to get the wrong equipment so I can't sell more materials.

HulkSmash

Without a doubt for that little of output

HP L315 with take up, 10,500$

save yourself 15k, that printer will do everything you need. it's latex and not solvent, better for the kids

trust me.

HulkSmash

That's all BS sir. You don't laminate wallpaper for the best product, and there is a magic printer where you don't need to laminate and it's called LATEX. Applications where you always need to laminate are things like full car wraps. DONT NEED TO LAMINATE WALLPAPER, CANVAS, FLOOR GRAPHICS, FABRIC GRAPHICS.

I speak the truth so please don't tell me my advice is bad, I have been helping companies do this for a long time and I sell laminators and laminates also so it's not like I wouldn't prefer them to get the wrong equipment so I can't sell more materials.

your advice is bad.

Wall Paper - If they ever use any chemicals on the wallpaper, it will eventually bleed.
Floor Graphics - Anti Slip lamination or you will have a lawsuit on your hands if someone slips.
Fabric Graphics - It's not even vinyl so not even in discussion

Not to mention overall durability for things listed above.

CanuckSigns

Lol you really think you don't need to laminate wall graphics or floor graphics?!?! You can't be serious, can you??

What happens when your client calls you because the mild cleaner they used to try to clean a scuff marks off the wall pulled off the ink? What about in a hospital envirnment where the walls need to be cleaned on a regular basis?

As for floor graphics, they need to be slip resistant, the best way to do that is with a textured non slip laminate, yes there are now textured vinyls that claim to not need laminate, but they are ment for extremely short term applications, without a laminate over top of the ink, the ink will get rubbed off with people walking over it within hours, even when using your magical latex unicorn.

Chase

I have installed paste dream scape wallcovering for a decade and we always requested a liquid Laminate for walls.

I need Latex printed flag or light fabric and a cast wallcovering samples ASAP.

Does HP Latex have a printable option for flag or light fabric? I need to be able to see light threw it. "Not for rear light"

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have installed paste dream scape wallcovering for a decade and we always requested a liquid Laminate for walls.

Does HP Latex have a printable option for flag or light fabric? I need to be able to see light threw it. "Not for rear light"
You can use any solvent or almost any dye sub flag on a Latex as long as you have the ink trough. We have run as thin as 110g fabric in our 360.

To semi defend BigFish, there are new textured wall and floor vinyls that do not require a laminate as the texture protects the ink. But in the environment you want to use your prints a liquid laminate with anti microbial, chemical, and abrasion resistance would be required. You would have to research the liquid lams that are hospital safe though.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
your advice is bad.

Wall Paper - If they ever use any chemicals on the wallpaper, it will eventually bleed.
Floor Graphics - Anti Slip lamination or you will have a lawsuit on your hands if someone slips.
Fabric Graphics - It's not even vinyl so not even in discussion

Not to mention overall durability for things listed above.

Lol my advice is not bad, your understanding of the latest materials is just not where mine is yet I guess.

The wallpaper market I speak of is different than the Wall Graphics market. The HP PVC free wallpaper and other PVC free materials that the big guys use ARE NEVER laminated. Ask Astek Wall Coverings or MDC Walls how much they laminate wallpaper (Biggest Wallpaper Companies in our Industry) I am not talking about wall graphics in a restaurant. I am talking about doing general wallpaper jobs inside corporate offices and what not. Not only are those materials not being laminated anymore but are now transitioning to Grand Format Fabrics to do seemless 10' jobs. Guess what, they don't laminate 10' fabric so how do these guys do it???? Common, you are so smart and quick to call my advice bad, then please inform me how these guys do that stuff without lamination? Have you ever seen a M1/B1 fire rated laminate??? Please let me know when that exists.

Floor Graphics by Asphalt Art and Alumigraphics are just 2 key examples of materials that DO NOT NEED LAMINATION to be UL Slip Resistant. Every single MFG is now coming out with floor graphics material that DO NOT NEED lamination. Why is that?? Hmmmm, maybe because technology with ink is making it less of a need to use lamination? How many LONG term floor graphics vs. Short term floor graphics are you doing? Its probably skewed one way or the other i'm sure. Yes for a super long term application, you should lam it but most applications don't require long term.

Fabric graphics is in the conversation because if he is doing a lot of fabric then he doesn't need to laminate but you said you have to laminate everything.

The whole point is I can show ANYONE how to run a business on applications that require NO LAMINATION and will produce more profit than a company who focus on applications that do. You want to do decals for $2.00 sq.ft or do you want to do high end fabric for $12?

I go back and forth with some of you on here and understand I respect your opinions for the most part, but to tell me my advice is bad is kinds BS. I can talk smack with the best of them but I am here to genuinely help grow business.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Lol you really think you don't need to laminate wall graphics or floor graphics?!?! You can't be serious, can you??

What happens when your client calls you because the mild cleaner they used to try to clean a scuff marks off the wall pulled off the ink? What about in a hospital envirnment where the walls need to be cleaned on a regular basis?

As for floor graphics, they need to be slip resistant, the best way to do that is with a textured non slip laminate, yes there are now textured vinyls that claim to not need laminate, but they are ment for extremely short term applications, without a laminate over top of the ink, the ink will get rubbed off with people walking over it within hours, even when using your magical latex unicorn.

You are right, I am wrong. My advice is BS and you should keep doing what you are doing. I guess material up in Canada is just not how it is in the US.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Yes they have that, you won't get good show through like dye sublimation though.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
HP PVC‑free Durable Suede Wall Paper · HP Large Format Print Media

Wow, check this stuff out! It's a Type II wallcovering from HP that doesn't require lamination and is already mildew and scratch resistant without lamination! Oh and check it out, it's made specifically for being around children!

Does using a material like this make more sense or does it make more sense to laminate it?

Attachments

• 7aa82a5-HP_PVCfree_Durable_Suede_Wall_Paper.jpg
    7aa82a5-HP_PVCfree_Durable_Suede_Wall_Paper.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 185

qmr55

Floor Graphics by Asphalt Art and Alumigraphics are just 2 key examples of materials that DO NOT NEED LAMINATION to be UL Slip Resistant. Every single MFG is now coming out with floor graphics material that DO NOT NEED lamination. Why is that?? Hmmmm, maybe because technology with ink is making it less of a need to use lamination? How many LONG term floor graphics vs. Short term floor graphics are you doing? Its probably skewed one way or the other i'm sure. Yes for a super long term application, you should lam it but most applications don't require long term.

Its also $2,000 for a 48"x100ft of this stuff. My floor graphics with laminate included are under $750 for 54"x150ft. So yeah theres ONE or TWO materials on the market who offer this ability, but that is completely irrelevant if they can't compete cost wise. So 90% of films fit under the "need to be laminated" category and 10% (or less) fit under the "no need for laminate" category.

So I don't care what "new products" you are able to get or know about, but that is not a feasible cost in 90%+ of floor graphic jobs. Try bidding most jobs with that product, bet I get it before you...