• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3 d printing is anybody doing it and how are u making money

particleman

Well I don't have much to add other than I want to get into it. I would choose the model carefully if you buy a hobby grade one as a lot of them need some serious tinkering to work.

I just broke a plastic trigger on a 25 year old chainsaw last week. It would be nice to have a printer to printer a new one :)

Conor Knoxx

I have ordered one through a kickstarter campaign:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1650950769/rigidbot-3d-printer

two of my biggest considerations were good resolution, and the biggest build platform I could find. The "Rigidbot Big" is bigger than most.
I'm hoping to do my tinker / tweak / learning over the winter on it.
There's plenty of useful objects on the thingverse.com to practice editing and printing.
To make money with it?
Doing some smaller dimensional signs, I think I can add elements and customization that would be difficult / expensive to do with CNC
Plus, I don't have a CNC router, lol !
It will also give me options to add small 3-D elements to flat sign projects, which I think could make some money.
I'm sure once its known (locally) that I have this, I'll get requests to make all kinds of "parts" for things - I'm not so sure that will be practical though.

I actually posted here about this some time ago, with no response - but I'm hoping it will "catch on" at least a little bit, since signs101 is the greatest place in the world to share info / experience!

I'm hoping once I have it, I'll find many more applications for what it can produce. It really seems like the "wave of the future" to me too!

Ted

I think it's just a matter of time, very near in the future, that 3D printing will start being used in more sign shops. Yesco is already doing it, printing 3D models of signs.
I predict that 3D printers will be used for printing channel letters in the near future, similar to the type of plastic channel ltrs Gemini sells now. Also smaller dimensional signs
that are now done on CNC routers. There will also be types of signs we haven't even thought of yet printed in 3D.

MGB_LE

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw1IylaElY5lM6KgBnldcw4e&ust=1556646010089471
url
Only doing it at home as a hobby. At work we use an H1625 printer and Colex flatbed cutter to do 3d samples like this T-Rex.
url

Last edited:

bannertime

We've been considering ways to get into it, but I don't think the technology is quite there yet to make it into our daily production. I'm really interested in the additive manufacturing methods rather than actual printing.

WildWestDesigns

Does anybody have a 3 d printer and what and who are they printing for? It really seems like the wave of the future.

I have one here. It's great, don't use it in production for final products, but it does create tools, items that I use.

I also do the odd ball fun prints as well.

I tend to run a print, make a mold and then create a final product from that mold.

My suggestion, pick something where the hardware is open (hackable, expected that the user will do mods to it). Be careful with getting into a printer that you have to get specific parts for or even the filament for etc.

Be very careful with the filament that you use. Each has their pros and cons.

Of course, I'm assuming extruded filament here, are you think extrude or resin printing?

One of my tech buddies (the same one that made me a Linux zealot oddly enough) uses a resin 3D printer for dental appliances and that has it's own pros/cons compared to the traditional extruded printers.

particleman

Looks like I chimed in on this 6 years ago. I did a test run of creating 3d letters with a CR10 chinese machine last year. I also ended up with some nice letters but the process to get them to that point was too intensive. Required a lot of sanding and then paint as well, basically required 12-20 hours of printing to make 10-15 letters. ASA filament will handle UV exposure.

WildWestDesigns

Required a lot of sanding and then paint as well, basically required 12-20 hours of printing to make 10-15 letters.

There could be some settings that were playing a part in that as well. Even depends on the brand of filament used, as not all handle well. As far as the sanding the filament.

Out of curiosity, did you go from modeling to print or did you use a slicer program in the process as well? Sometimes that helps spot trouble areas as well or help with the extrusion.

ikarasu

A few things most of you who want to get into 3D printing, but haven't yet and don't realize -

1 - it's slow. I'm talking some 6" prints of a statue take 16-24 hours on non draft quality. Then 12 hours in when employee x comes to see how awesome it is... He bumps the table, the extruder skips... And you start from scratch.

Learning how to create a 3D object isn't easy. Button on your chainsaw broke? You'll probably need 5-10 days of training to learn how to reprint that button if you don't have any 3D experience. And it'll likely take 2-3 hours to print depending on size.

I'm talking strictly filament printers. Resin ones are a bit faster... But have their own downsides.

I do think 3D printing is going to be the future in signage. But when I say that... I'm not talking $200-2000 printers. You can get 3D printers that are big enough to walk in right now. Them are likely the ones that will help your business... Not these cheap toys.

Don't get me wrong. 3D printing is fun. But there's a huge, huge learning curve. And unless your spending $20k on a printer.... And hundreds of hours on learning, you're not going to make money off of it. If you see it as a hobby, a fun toy..... Something you can use to make 3D models of signs to showcase to customers....They're great. But if you think you can buy one and get the same return as a printer or a cnc machine... They're just not at that stage yet.

I've owned 4 different ones. From the Chinese ones that have come in 4000 pieces you build yourself, to the $2500 model. Sometimes you have fun, sometimes you want to punch a wall, or the guy who invented the printer.

Again... Great toy / hobby machine. Unless you have some 3D modeling experience, or are willing to spend hundreds of hours learning it... Youre limited to pre-made files. Which isn't bad, there's a huge community out there. Good for neat / fun stuff... You just won't be doing custom pieces for your chainsaw or car button that fell off.

[Edit] as for the sanding. Look at ABS and acetone bath. Lots of youtube videos on it. It uses the fumes of acetone, but it makes the prints come out super smooth. Most printers can't handle ABS without an enclosure and modification, unless you buy a high end printer. But you cut out hour of sanding and post trimming this way. One of the main reasons I went from a $200 DIY printer to a $2500 printer.

Last edited:

equippaint

I dont think 3d printers will be a game changer. The machine wont matter, the design is where the cost will be and its not going to be much different price wise than getting something drafted by an engineer. Its place in the near term will be for manufacturing prototyping but even with that today, the cost is in the design side and not the making of the part. In that market, buying the printer is peanuts, no reason to sub out the easy part.
I just dont see what customer base one could develop with it that would not just buy one themselves either.

particleman

These are all ABS, I built an enclosure which worked well. I just think the whole process was going to be too labor intensive to make it a feasible for production. The L is sanded down and painted, you can see it was still not sanded enough.

Modelling done in Fusion 360 then sliced in Simplify3D

Attachments

• IMG_20190430_085229.jpg
    IMG_20190430_085229.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 412

kanini

We make some small parts, small batch washers with a hole pattern in them that the customer uses for attaching switches to. We apply a decal over the surface and it looks neat. Customer buys 15-20 pcs. a time and it's printed with ABS on a desktop simple 3D printer, costed around 1500 when I and my brother bought it a couple years ago just for hobby. Don't see how you make any serious money yet, but when the stainless steel 3D printers go down a bit in price, the speed increases and you can see them starting to compete with CNC mills and lathes, then I think we'll see the great breakthrough. But that's probably 15 years from now.
Until then, channel letters etc. will probably be the next thing for signage industry to 3D print, but even that is somewhat in the future to be cost efficient. Today I don't really see where you can make any money with a 3D printer in a sign shop, the demand isn't there and you can't create it. Have seen a couple competitors try the 3D printing route but none has so far found any business and returned/sold their printers...

Billct2

I have a buddy who is in the engineering for manufacturing field. He had a commercial grade machine demonstrator. It was Ok for prototyping, but definitely not at the production level yet.

WildWestDesigns

I have a buddy who is in the engineering for manufacturing field. He had a commercial grade machine demonstrator. It was Ok for prototyping, but definitely not at the production level yet.

All the ones that I've looked at, are either for one offs or for prototyping, not really for mass production.

If I'm looking to get a small amount of production, I'll take a mold of the actual print and then use that mold to get a true finished product.

Still quite a bit of effort, but it does have it's place and I imagine it'll only get better as the tech gets further along.

Gene@mpls

I started with a Creality CR10 and now have a Prusa MK3- I have built two Creality Ender3s for presents for young people. I think highly of the Creality's for the price and the Prusa is as good as you get for $1k. They are slow but useful. I knew Aspire and learned Fusion 360 to be able to design my own parts. I have learned a lot. And made some really useful things for myself. Prusa is preparing a resin printer which I will probably buy at some point. If you are not learning,,, you are dying.

Dukenukem117

We use it extensively as a manufacturing startup, so I have no idea how useful it is in a sign shop. I have 3 printers - Markforge Onyx Pro + two Dremel 3D45. The Markforge was purchased about 2 years ago and was mainly used for prototyping and tooling as the material is very expensive $190/kg. We have the mid-tier version that can reinforce with fiberglass, so its very versatile for functional parts. The Dremels are relatively recent but have had more material run through them in the few months I've had them than the Markforge since generic material is very cheap. I live near Microcenter, and surprisingly good quality ABS/PLA is only $15/kg from them. I've integrated 3D printing into our production by making a few small components that would cost thousands of dollars for traditional tooling each. We have a low volume / high value product so the speed is not an issue, but QC sometimes keeps me up at night since a lot factors can affect the quality/strength of a print.

Since I have a lot of 3D modeling experience and experience designing parts for the process, I'm able to get a lot out of the technology. But if you are starting from scratch, it's an extremely long learning process and not one that I would recommend starting unless you already have a passion for tinkering (in which case you probably already have a printer). You're better off hiring a mechanical engineering or industrial design student, which are actually pretty easy to find. I am amazed at how far the technology has come as we were using Stratasys 768's back when I was in design school, which are 300lbs, cost $30k new, used consumable build plates and $260/kg of plain ol ABS. Today I can get comparable parts from my $1000 Dremels and far superior parts from my Markforge. If you want plug-and-play, Markforge is the only company I would recommend. But since their material is so expensive, its almost certainly too expensive for production (except for small brackets and odd parts). If you want to print with dirt cheap generic material, you will have to learn a lot about servicing the machine and learning how to dial in the settings and troubleshoot.

So like many things, its a powerful tool if you have the requisite skills, but its not going to be the next big household appliance. The biggest change is that good-enough equipment is now very affordable.

netsol

we recently bought a damaged stratsys 1200 es. on ebay
we buy everything damaged or not working. (factory tech says it can't be repaired are the bet deals)

12 x 10 x 10 build, big enough to be useful.

should be printing soon

not sure how we will use it. always wanted one
for now it will be "a solution in search of a problem" for us, we're not quite ready to print business card calling ourselves a. 3d printing service sompany, just yet