• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 3D BeBond Sign

0sparetime

I have a customer wanting two new store front signs. The city is making them be 3 dimensional. I typically use BeBond for all of my signs. I'm thinking to make the stripes one layer, the oval another and then they want the words as another. Anyone have any ideas on what would work best to make this sign 3 separate layers or make it pop out?

Attachments

• Outdoor Sign St. peter.jpg
    760.7 KB · Views: 351

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
May want to consider acrylic and Gemini letters if your going for longevity. The small type may be too small for 3D letters so maybe cut vinyl those.

There are a few companies around here that do routed ACM letters and within a few years I see them "leak" white paint down the walls and delaminate. I don't know if its their cutting process that does that but they look shabby after just a few years.

0sparetime

Definitely thinking the small type won't work. Not familiar with acrylic or Gemini. I'll have to do some research on them.

visual800

I would make stripes flat on background, cut oval shape and cut main copy out of dibond and cut small copy out of vinyl or paint mask

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Usually, when a municipality specs out 3D type signs, they are referring to sandblasted or CNC in wood or HDU substrates. You probably should check and be sure you can layers as you indicated. Also, try centering your layout.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Center the oval between the stripes. Make sure it ends on a line between the white and black... IMO.

Black/White colorcore might be an option, V-carved.

OR

Could rout down small letters and fill with paint, then rout down and replace "REFINERY" with inset routed letters. Black stripes routed down, white remains factory surface. Would need HDU for this.

petepaz

what is the size? i am pretty sure gemini does have a min text height for cut lettering but that's probably the way to go. looks really nice when it's done.
you could use the layered bebond for the stripes and oval but i would use the acrylic for the lettering and glue it to the oval.
also i think Gino brought up a good point check with the town and the permits to make sure you are using the correct material and dimensions. normally they will make you submit a drawing specing out everything you are doing

0sparetime

Thanks for all of the input! The sign is 20' wide and 4' tall. In the end everything will be centered. What I have is a rough drawing from my client.