• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D Cube structure need produced

10sacer

Hello all,

Does anyone have the skill or know who to turn to to make a large 3D cube out of whatever material works best to achieve what is shown in the photo?
I have reached out to the foam prop guys and large 3D printer companies with not much interest in attempting. I have a feeling that someone who knows what they are doing with acrylic could cut and glue this together.
We can apply the color after assembly. Photo is only view I have at the moment. Just trying to find someone who can make it first.

Cube is 47.5" square with the cutouts. Its for a product unveiling for an international company in December.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Sean

Attachments

• Cube.jpg
    Cube.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 381

JBurton

Signtologist
Oh that looks like fun. You could do it out of foam, but the fragility would have me concerned for a product unveiling.
I'd opt to weld it up out of .090 or .125 aluminum, but then it will be heavy, not that the foam would be light.
I guess you could cut it out of acrylic, but it would need some sort of framing to hold its shape.
How would this be lifted off the product? By hand? Winch?
How large is the product that will be inside?
If nothing else, you could get this 3d printed by a massivit, I have contact info for them if you want, they hooked me up with a printer owner who quoted me a project and they also printed and shipped a sample from Israel. (We were in talks to purchase one at the time, ymmv)

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If it was me, 1/2" or 3/4" tubing for the core with .10" or .125" aluminum faces, cut to shape, with welded returns.
Or, find a source with a 3D printer that can do it.

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
So I asked the head of our fabrication shop what he would do, even though I had my speculations already on how he would go about it. Frame it with 1-1/2" aluminum square tubing, then skin it with Dibond.

10sacer

I have reached out to two different large format 3D print companies and waiting on quotes from them.
There is no "product" inside of it, so it will not move. I do want it pretty heavy to discourage someone from trying to walk off with it easily.
I had also considered gluing together ACM pieces, but not sure what glue will adhere to both aluminum and PVC.
Hadn't really thought about a woodworker, but anyone with a CNC machine could cut out the individual parts and assemble them together pretty easily.

JBurton - can you provide your contact at Massivit?

10sacer

Oh that looks like fun. You could do it out of foam, but the fragility would have me concerned for a product unveiling.
I'd opt to weld it up out of .090 or .125 aluminum, but then it will be heavy, not that the foam would be light.
I guess you could cut it out of acrylic, but it would need some sort of framing to hold its shape.
How would this be lifted off the product? By hand? Winch?
How large is the product that will be inside?
If nothing else, you could get this 3d printed by a massivit, I have contact info for them if you want, they hooked me up with a printer owner who quoted me a project and they also printed and shipped a sample from Israel. (We were in talks to purchase one at the time, ymmv)
Can you send me your contact at massivit? Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think I'd skip the 3d printing for a shape that is that large and all simple flat panels.
If it is an interior display, you could do the frame in wood and skin it with PVC, or do both in PVC.
Home Depot sells PVC window/door trim planks that are up to 3/4 thick. You can run them through a table saw, ripsaw or cut them with a utility knife to build out the frame.
Build the frame, glue it with HH66, backed up with drywall screws at the critical joints. Wrap the panels and glue them onto the frame.
The advantage of the PVC is that it glues up solid, comes finished - ready to wrap or paint with almost no prep. You don't have to worry about edge sealing and moisture is not much of an issue.
We don't have a local supply of ACM out here but PVC is common - not the most durable material but better than foam and super easy to work with.

damonCA21

Probably the reason 3D printing companies aren't getting back is due to the size and cost of production. The problem with 3D printing is it is so slow ( not sure how much quicker industrial machines are, but I'm betting not much ) ! Most companies probably couldn't do that size anyway and to make that would tie up a machine for a long time. I imagine if you did get quotes you ( and the client ) would be quite shocked how expensive it is.

If it was 3D printed it would only make sense to make flat panels to then glue together anyway, and if you are doing that then there are much more cost effective options.

3D printing is great for very complex shapes which is really what it is designed for. As your cube is just made of very basic shapes it's probably a non starter.
If you did want it to be heavy there is no reason why you can't add weight inside ( sandbags for example )