• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D Images for Box Truck Rear Door...How do you get your image?

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
Hello All,

Im hoping for a little insight from those of you who have designed/installed the 3D style graphics on box trucks.... i.e. the back of the box truck looks like you are looking inside the back of the box truck.

Im interested in any tips you may have...how you took the pictures, any special techniques that make the pictures look realistic, special angles ect ect.....basically, how do you do it well?

Some help, ideas, direction or advise would be greatly appreciated.

showcase 66

Open the doors up and take a picture with the stuff in the trailer. Then you can add from there. At least that is the way I did the last one I was working on.

Tifosi

Make sure the edge of the box truck are at the edge of your field of view on the camera. You don't wan't to do a lot of cropping and make sure your not using a really wide lens.

jkdbjj

onlyjames... this requires an understanding of some key art words:

-perspective
-2 point perspective
-eye level
-horizontal line

See the sample below and also Google these terms if you want to learn more.
You'll see from the images a basic idea of how important it is to know the general level that most viewers will be of the box truck. Probably following in a car. So assume that eye level, and design around that.

2-vanishing-points1.jpg

perspective-street_corner1.jpg

jkdbjj

It also really depends on what you plan to incorporate into the design. Taking a picture may or may not help your situation. If you do take a picture and try to use it, put the camera at the eye level you intend the effect to work, again see my earlier post.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Or.... ditch the camera and hire someone to go full 3d for you, then you can have anything you want inside your van.

wayne k
guam usa

banjo22

I would be careful about putting pics of what they actually haul They may not want everyone to know exactly what they haul because some one else may want to steel their business,I would talk to the guy you are doing it for and get his opinion.

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help & ideas. This particular job will be the back of a box truck, & this company sells/hauls high end shoes. The picture looking in will be of boxes stacked along the sides w/ sample shoes next to the boxes, their logo on the boxes ect ect.

My second thought on this was to have the graphic look like one of their stores....so looking "inside" of the back of the truck will look as if they are viewing in inside of a store.

anotherdog

Whatever anyone else says, do the opposite...Stack real boxes in the back and drive the truck around with the doors open. Everyone will ask you how you got the cool 3D effect.