• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D Printing Signs. Looking for suggestions on a large format printer

ryleylamarsh

Hello all

I have recently ventured into 3D printed LED lit dimensional signs. I have had great success with the Bambu X1C but it is limited to 10" shapes. I have recently purchased an Elegy Neptune Max with a max size of 16" with so-so results. At some point I would like to look into a larger format machine. Does anyone have suggestions on other machines I can take a look at? I see lots on Ali Express in the 5k range that are built specifically for channel letters. I have attached an image of my first sign.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ryley
View attachment IMG_0452.jpeg

JBurton

Signtologist
Nice work on that one, I'm curious what translucent material you went with on the returns, and how you affixed the face to the returns and returns to the backer.
As far as larger printers, the Massivit is AFAIK the only 3d printer intended for outdoor displays, it uses a thick UV gel that gets cured as it's extruded, it's around $250k. There are several other manufacturers making 1m and larger printers, but they are all FDM. I sat in on a 3d printing presentation at ISA last year, Ascent sign systems did well to not just plug their own products the whole time, and at that time they were offering a 24" printer that was $20k I believe. Creality offers a knockoff version, and another company I don't recall the name of does as well.
Then you also have next level printers, mostly the mimaki, that does full color printing at mm scale. It's fricking nuts. But my understanding is that these prints will need some form of clear coat to be outdoor ready, and it has a relatively small build volume. This one was something like $250k.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That is really nice. Looks like a separate backer and face and separate returns. Next time, take some pics throughout your process. That would be fantastic to see.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but the only manufacturers in that market that I'm aware of were HP and Mimaki. Last time I looked was a while back, but they were it as far as anything of any size that might actually be usable for a sign shop.

JBurton

Signtologist
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but the only manufacturers in that market that I'm aware of were HP and Mimaki. Last time I looked was a while back, but they were it as far as anything of any size that might actually be usable for a sign shop.
Check out the massivit if you really want to be jealous:

Gene@mpls

A laser cutter would be a lot faster and nicer, Something in the 130W 900x1300 range- less than 10k.

My sig sez RDworks but LightBurn is cheap and much much better.

Gregg Lindsay

Check out https://www.3dplatform.com/
They have a 1m x1m build area. I used to work there and they are pretty badass for the price for the size of stuff you can build on these things.
I bought one wholesale on a repo because I was a service manager there and if you have the space man, the sky is the limit.
Ive made proto impellers, custom guitar bodies, car rim protos art for my house on a huge scale.
the 1m x 1m build platform size is ridiculously dynamic.
Totally configurable/upgradeable depending your needs/pocketbook and scale, IE ABS/PETG material etc. I believe now they have heated enclosures as well.
Way cheaper than Big Rep and the likes.
Guys name is John that runs the 3d stuff (last i heard) but they are into robotics and linear actuators also so the thing is really well built.

Gregg Lindsay

Check out the massivit if you really want to be jealous:
with all do respect, ive worked on these and they are sub at best unless you have an engineering degree, plenty of confidence in you solidworks capability, and a ton of leeway on fiances.
That material that gets extruded is ridiculously expensive and unless its post UV processed will absolutely fall apart.
they may have enginerred better material as of 2024, but cot damn if you mess up a 36hr print because of a g code at the last 45min of a print...
Lucy got some splainin' to do.
just my 2cents

JBurton

Signtologist
That material that gets extruded is ridiculously expensive and unless its post UV processed will absolutely fall apart.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. When I was in serious talks and getting quotes, they would sell you a subscription plan that was for their proprietary uv gel, something like 1/2 price of buying it as needed, but here you are, on the cusp of a big investment, unable to know how your market will work out, and they're asking you to buy a 10k subscription for a year of gel, or buy 1k drums of it as needed, in addition to the printer needing to be online to communicate with the manufacturers so they could track how much of the subscription gel you were printing, just to make sure you weren't hoarding it or something I guess?
Still jealous.
Will check out the 3dplatform folks.