• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D Raised Decals

captainron19

so one of the parents in my sons baseball team just got new decals for all the boys’ helmets and they are raised 3D type of decal . First time seeing them except in MLB teams

Can anyone provide any insight on what is required to make something like this ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think they're called domed decals. Once printed and cut out, you apply a solution to it, being careful of the amount and the stuff will flow out up to the very edge. We have all the stuff needed to do it, but it's a big pain in the neck to do. Anyway, for us, it is.

captainron19

Definitely not domed decals ....... these are more raised letters

Attachments

• 3A7894D9-B85C-482A-8C6C-B67AC847A174.jpeg
    3A7894D9-B85C-482A-8C6C-B67AC847A174.jpeg
    737.8 KB · Views: 612
  • E1D3DA95-5E6F-434E-BCFF-327941554D1B.jpeg
    E1D3DA95-5E6F-434E-BCFF-327941554D1B.jpeg
    888.7 KB · Views: 558

WildWestDesigns

I would say ABS. I wouldn't use PLA for something like this. Longevity isn't as good on PLA.

Unless used PLA to create a mold and then use an epoxy for the finished product

rossmosh

100% made over seas. Probably PVC or silicone. They're are a bunch of suppliers out there. Wholesale is probably about $.50-1 each + setup fee of $75 + FedEx Express shipping (1-2 days typically) would be about $40-60.

captainron19

100% made over seas. Probably PVC or silicone. They're are a bunch of suppliers out there. Wholesale is probably about $.50-1 each + setup fee of $75 + FedEx Express shipping (1-2 days typically) would be about $40-60.

No definitely not ..... one of the Dads on my sons baseball team had them made by a friend .... he wasn’t sure what process he used but I am trying to find out from the source

rossmosh

No definitely not ..... one of the Dads on my sons baseball team had them made by a friend .... he wasn’t sure what process he used but I am trying to find out from the source

So if they contacted you for a sign you don't make. You called up a supplier and had it made. Would they know?

This product is an outsourced product from China. I'd be absolutely shocked if they made it in house. If they did, it's a hobbiest with a 3d printer spending 30 minutes of machine time to make 1-2 of them.

captainron19

So if they contacted you for a sign you don't make. You called up a supplier and had it made. Would they know?

This product is an outsourced product from China. I'd be absolutely shocked if they made it in house. If they did, it's a hobbiest with a 3d printer spending 30 minutes of machine time to make 1-2 of them.

What are you even talking about? No One contacted me to make a sign. One of the dads simply had these made for all of the boys on our baseball team and I was curious what method was used to make them thats all

WildWestDesigns

What are you even talking about? No One contacted me to make a sign. One of the dads simply had these made for all of the boys on our baseball team and I was curious what method was used to make them thats all

I think that was more of an example to counter you saying that it wasn't definitely outsourced to China. How would one know? I think that was the point. While I don't necessarily agree with the false dilemma of it only being 2 things without having more info to go on, but it is hard to say either way at this point without more info.

Jburns

The company I referenced above, makes decals that the original poster showed pictures of. There is an article on the site that says that they take the logo / turn into 3D model, machine molds and use injected silicone. The same article references another company that originally 3d printed them out of hard plastic. I agree with jfiscus- too smooth to be 3D printed.

Article:
https://uni-watch.com/2016/04/13/the-dodgers-go-3-d/#more-72562

zillion29

I think they're called domed decals. Once printed and cut out, you apply a solution to it, being careful of the amount and the stuff will flow out up to the very edge. We have all the stuff needed to do it, but it's a big pain in the neck to do. Anyway, for us, it is.
So glad to see that it didn't end up being doming. Doming is . . . the . . . worst.