• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3d sculpture

John HC

I am looking for a vendor who can produce 3D sculptures - in this case i will need to produce a pair of 4 foot tall roller skates that will hang off a new sign cabinet - so it has to be outdoor
attachment.php
durable(long term) - look like the retro skates from the 70s, see attachment - any thoughts?

Attachments

• skates.jpg
    skates.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 104

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You need to find someone with a 3D CNC hot wire foam cutter. While there's not one in every garage, they're not all that uncommon. A friend, a farmer, about 1/2 mile away has one and I hear there's a few more around the area. It's not a real complicated tool. Basically the hot wire is pulled through the foam while it [the wire] is moved up and down cutting variable thickness slab from the block of foam. Then the block is rotated, either slightly or a lot depending, and another slab is cut. Repeat until you have a rough sculpture of whatever it is you want. Then smooth it all out with files and sandpaper.. Not rocket surgery.

Anyway, once you find someone with one, they can cut a pair of skates from a block of foam, [ala Styrofoam]. in the case of something reasonably complex like skates, it might take more than one piece, all glued together.The end product can be any size you fancy. Once the foam core is created, there's a variety of methods to finish it. Plaster, epoxy, paint, to name a few.

Techman

there are dozens of people around that can make that type of display. 3D work is good work. It pays well because not many can do it.

neato

Wow, if I were in your shoes, I'd be tempted to go ahead and give it a try. You don't need a CNC for this. That's just a modern luxery. I'll bet skates would be a pretty simple shape to do and a great way to get started in 3D. I would love an opportunity like this.