• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 1080 for total cover-up

johnnysigns

^ Ignorant.

Woop-woop, here come the Wrap Police...

Sorry, but one backwards seam on a side that's post heated wouldn't cause me to sweat. Would I wrap a whole vehicle front to back? Hell no, but starting on my second panel first to get my placement perfect works when I need to do that. It's not something I'm doing everyday, but again, I'm not gonna sweat over it.

Last edited:

Patentagosse

+1

Is the mini-van that is hooked up to the trailer yours or the customers?
If the customer that is hilarious that they own a car dealership and pull the trailer with a mini-van

Yeah, it's mine otherwise he would had picked one in his line-up. To be honest, my van suffered from pulling it 'cause this one's not "feather-light" so to speak. I have the small 3.3 with basic transmission, not the 3.8 with liquid cooled transmission. Not made for that purpose...:noway:

Patentagosse

Couple of mistakes.
1. Wrapped over the old vinyl? Worse idea.. if your old bottom level fails.. your new level fails. The actual vinyl was in pretty good shape so that's why I decided to cover it. At that time, the graphics were printed by another shop who were totally fleet dedicated so the clearcoat was liquid, not over-laminate one. Only the color was washed away on some spots. The owner asked one of his employees to clean it good so his grabbed one of bottle in the car wash but it was an acid to get rid of grease. It attacked to thinny coat of protection over the ink but the vinyl itself remained solid, free of peeling.

2. You're putting the panels on backwards. Now the wind can easily get under them, and left them since they're going the direction of which you drive.... I don't get your point here. I always performed my installs from the back to the front so this trailer is no exception. All overlaps are protected from the wind (...) I really don't understand what you're trying to tell me. :help

overall for what it is, nice job.

What's wrong?

Patentagosse

What is the brand of that work platform you are using in the photo?
Looks neat.

wayne k
guam usa

Not only looks great but work great too. They're made in NZ but were distributed by a scafolding co. in BC (Canada).

www.scissordeck.com

*They no longer sell the product you seen on my picture but they have developped a similar system.

Border

So thats a reason to not do an install correctly is because its over an old wrap anyway? It will only take 1 failure that cost you thousands to delete your post of overlapping incorrectly.

I understand and always install with the seams overlapping correctly BUT...

when ya think about, it's really no different than having a partial wrap that ends in the middle of a panel and you have that front edge of vinyl exposed to the wind and other elements, just the same as it would if it were two panels overlapped backwards, right???

I really don't think there would be an immanent failure as long as that edge is laid down well. Sure, it's not the best or proper way to do it.

Just sayin'...

But IF it does start to lift, it will pull back a whole lot faster than a side that is overlapped correctly and doesn't catch the wind.

Patentagosse

FOR ALL THE ONES WHO SAID THEY WOULD NEVER DO IT W/O FIRST REMOVING THE OLD SUN-BAKED ONE, LET ME INFORM YOU THAT +6 YEARS LATER, THERE'S "0" SIGN OF LIFTING ANYWHERE ON MY JOB. I'D DO IT AGAIN ANYDAY (after careful inspection of original vinyl layer, 'not saying all old wrap jobs must/can be covered securely) I knew how hard the 1st wrap would have been to remove to save me from this mess.

*ran across this post, 'had to update :rock-n-roll: