Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3m 1080 vs oracal 970 (975) vs hexis hx30000

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by bigben, Mar 24, 2011.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Hi folks!

I would like to know if there is someone here who have worked and/or tested the 3 different carbon fibre vinyl made by 3M, Oracal and Hexis?

I would like to use it to make car hoods, roofs, interior parts, etc. Maybe make a full wrap too.

Give me your feedback.

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. lex

lex New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Belgium
    My opinion,

3M (Di-noc in Europe) is the best, it is thick, easily applied to slightly curved surfaces and has a nice structure.

Oracal is better for small heavy curved objects (It is thinner). I do not use it on large areas, because the carbon lines are not straight.

Hexis; bad experience

Lex

3. lex

lex New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Belgium
    3M Di-noc is too tough (stiff) for a full-wrap
    but excellent for roofs and hoods.

I forgot to say this,
    Lex

4. restyleit

restyleit New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    3M - 60", air release, thinner than the rest
    Oracal - 60", no air release
    Hexis - 54"(60" in the works), air release

We usually use Hexis. Some hoods are way too big so before had to turn to Oracal, now 3M because of the air channels.
    problem with 3m is that because it's fairly thin it rips easier along the pattern, have to be more careful with it

5. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

I've only used the 3M and was very impressed with it. If the air and vehicle temperature are a little cool, you have to keep the vinyl warm, otherwise it will tear along the line of the pattern when you're repositioning it. I found it reasonable to work with even on contoured areas and it's a no brainer for hoods, roofs, etc.

We did two 2011 Porsche GT3's last month with it. The roof, hood, deck lid, and bumpers.

6. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    SHOW US please

7. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    What's the difference between 3m Di-noc and 1080?

8. lex

lex New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Belgium
    Hey,
    as far as i know, there is only one carbon imitation on the market, here in Belgium, made by 3M: 3M-Di-noc, available in 7 colors.
    It is very beautiful and I love it
    It is stiff, therefore you need to use a primer on curved surfaces.
    Thickness: 3M Di-Noc = 212 micron versus Oracal-975 = 100micron

"3M 1080" is unknown to me.
    Maybe, 3M has one other product on the U.S. market?
    Forgive me if I compare the wrong product.

groetjes,
    Lex

9. D Blackwell

D Blackwell New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Hi, I am the US Marketing contact for 3M™ Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080. Currently, 1080 is available in North America, but is currently being rolled out to other areas shortly. (Soon, Lex, soon)

There is a difference between Di-Noc CA421 and 1080-CF12.
    • 1080 is a 60" cast, 3.5-5 mil film with slideability, air release and removable adhesive.
    • Di-Noc is a 48" calendered, 8.5-10.0 mil film with only air release and is permanent.
    Scotchprint Wrap Film Series 1080 also carries a horizontal warranty. Something the other films currently do not.

You can find out more and request sample swatches at 3Mgraphics.com/1080. Thanks.

10. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

Sorry for the delay. Pics of the Porsche GT3 car that we wrapped (the silver is Oracal, carbon is 3M), and a 2011 Camaro convertible I did this morning.

Attached Files:

11. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    kstom,
    your installs look really good.
    Is that shark fin antenna one piece?

Overall I am not a fan of the finished look.
    I'm sure many go for that look, I just not one of them.

wayne k
    guam usa

12. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

I wish! I had to do the back face separately, so there's a seam up and around the back side of it. The carbon pattern hides the seam very well.