• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 1080 vs oracal 970 (975) vs hexis hx30000

bigben

Hi folks!

I would like to know if there is someone here who have worked and/or tested the 3 different carbon fibre vinyl made by 3M, Oracal and Hexis?

I would like to use it to make car hoods, roofs, interior parts, etc. Maybe make a full wrap too.

Give me your feedback.

Thanks.

lex

My opinion,

3M (Di-noc in Europe) is the best, it is thick, easily applied to slightly curved surfaces and has a nice structure.

Oracal is better for small heavy curved objects (It is thinner). I do not use it on large areas, because the carbon lines are not straight.

Hexis; bad experience

Lex

lex

3M Di-noc is too tough (stiff) for a full-wrap
but excellent for roofs and hoods.

I forgot to say this,
Lex

restyleit

Hi folks!

I would like to know if there is someone here who have worked and/or tested the 3 different carbon fibre vinyl made by 3M, Oracal and Hexis?

I would like to use it to make car hoods, roofs, interior parts, etc. Maybe make a full wrap too.

Give me your feedback.

Thanks.

3M - 60", air release, thinner than the rest
Oracal - 60", no air release
Hexis - 54"(60" in the works), air release

We usually use Hexis. Some hoods are way too big so before had to turn to Oracal, now 3M because of the air channels.
problem with 3m is that because it's fairly thin it rips easier along the pattern, have to be more careful with it

kstompaint

I've only used the 3M and was very impressed with it. If the air and vehicle temperature are a little cool, you have to keep the vinyl warm, otherwise it will tear along the line of the pattern when you're repositioning it. I found it reasonable to work with even on contoured areas and it's a no brainer for hoods, roofs, etc.

We did two 2011 Porsche GT3's last month with it. The roof, hood, deck lid, and bumpers.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I've only used the 3M and was very impressed with it. If the air and vehicle temperature are a little cool, you have to keep the vinyl warm, otherwise it will tear along the line of the pattern when you're repositioning it. I found it reasonable to work with even on contoured areas and it's a no brainer for hoods, roofs, etc.

We did two 2011 Porsche GT3's last month with it. The roof, hood, deck lid, and bumpers.

SHOW US please

lex

Hey,
as far as i know, there is only one carbon imitation on the market, here in Belgium, made by 3M: 3M-Di-noc, available in 7 colors.
It is very beautiful and I love it
It is stiff, therefore you need to use a primer on curved surfaces.
Thickness: 3M Di-Noc = 212 micron versus Oracal-975 = 100micron

"3M 1080" is unknown to me.
Maybe, 3M has one other product on the U.S. market?
Forgive me if I compare the wrong product.

groetjes,
Lex

D Blackwell

Hi, I am the US Marketing contact for 3M™ Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080. Currently, 1080 is available in North America, but is currently being rolled out to other areas shortly. (Soon, Lex, soon)

There is a difference between Di-Noc CA421 and 1080-CF12.
  • 1080 is a 60" cast, 3.5-5 mil film with slideability, air release and removable adhesive.
  • Di-Noc is a 48" calendered, 8.5-10.0 mil film with only air release and is permanent.
Scotchprint Wrap Film Series 1080 also carries a horizontal warranty. Something the other films currently do not.

You can find out more and request sample swatches at 3Mgraphics.com/1080. Thanks.

kstompaint

Sorry for the delay. Pics of the Porsche GT3 car that we wrapped (the silver is Oracal, carbon is 3M), and a 2011 Camaro convertible I did this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpg
    IMG_7841.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_6734.jpg
    IMG_6734.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 343
  • GT3 front.jpg
    GT3 front.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 308
  • GT3 trunk.jpg
    GT3 trunk.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 310

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
kstom,
your installs look really good.
Is that shark fin antenna one piece?

Overall I am not a fan of the finished look.
I'm sure many go for that look, I just not one of them.

wayne k
guam usa