• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M and the car dealers, now Avery and IKEA

WildWestDesigns

Thankfully IKEA isn't in this state that I'm aware of. In fact, first time I've ever seen/heard about it was streaming Parking Wars when I was bored. The ole ball and chain doesn't care for that show much since she works as an accountant for a parking company.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can see it now... someone will read / do a furniture wrap http://www.thisismykea.com/how-to-cover and then think that they can wrap a car, sign ect and think that they should be the #1 hire at a sign shop....great.

I think it was about 1989 when I first noticed a Gerber Sprint setup at our local art supplies super store. The reason I noticed was the line of people waiting to buy ready-to-apply pre-spaced lines of text. They offered about a dozen letter styles and a dozen colors. I quit shopping there as a result but I also came to realize that do-it-yourself is a viable option for many consumers.

Instead of losing any sleep over it though, I found comfort in the fact that for most consumers, "Hire a Professional" remains highly popular.

Many here have come to realize that Avery is no friend to the sign community. What you also need to realize is that vendors the size of 3M and Avery will always seek out and test new markets without regard for the repercussions on or concerns of existing customers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is really funny. Other than a garage refrigerator or some basement filing cabinet... I can't think of a single piece of furniture that I or anyone I know would want wrapped. Who in the world are the targeting...... street people with cardboard houses and furniture ??

I took our kitchen clock apart and completely redecorated the innards to make a custom face for my wife's kitchen. I decorated some things in her dance studio and I labeled tool drawers and other items of that nature, but for the life of me, I can't see wrapping our dining room suit or guest bedroom bureaus or beds. :rolleyes:

HulkSmash

This is really funny. Other than a garage refrigerator or some basement filing cabinet... I can't think of a single piece of furniture that I or anyone I know would want wrapped. Who in the world are the targeting...... street people with cardboard houses and furniture ??

I took our kitchen clock apart and completely redecorated the innards to make a custom face for my wife's kitchen. I decorated some things in her dance studio and I labeled tool drawers and other items of that nature, but for the life of me, I can't see wrapping our dining room suit or guest bedroom bureaus or beds. :rolleyes:

How about them hunting rifles?

CanuckSigns

Yeah, this seems to be targeted towards the young/student crowd, which also happens to be the group with the least amount of disposable income (except for beer, there is always money for beer!)

Locals Find!

I don't see how this is too much different than my kid putting stickers on her dresser. These are just bigger better stickers at the end of the day.

mortil

IKEA will never become a threat to the sign industry.
i live in the homeland of IKEA. and noooo. it will not happen.

anyone ever tried their wallart ? it must be super-shortterm-tack and worst chinese vinyl money can buy.

have loads of friend that have their wallart flowers on the wall. and guess what. couple of months after applying them they start to wrinkle and fall of the wall. :D

it sucks totaly. crap vinyl.

CheapVehicleWrap

Ikea's not too bright. They are the parent company in another industry I deal in. They could snap their fingers and make a TON, but overlook the obvious.

Bly

People go to Ikea for cheap furniture, and will probably go there for these cheap stickers. I go there too sometimes for cheap crap.
For anything custom they'll have go to someone like us.
Look at this idea of theirs as expanding our market.

signswi

They actually have some really good partnerships (i.e. Threadless) and while some parts of the country might see this type of thing as 16-25 there are lots of people much more affluent that enjoy contemporary popart and interior personalization. It's not a threat to sign shops but it's an interesting indicator of just how far into the mainstream wall stickers and furniture wraps and such are.

http://www.thisismykea.com/designs/walls

They make a mint selling knock-off Saarinen furniture so it's interesting to see them partner with contemporary niche product partners for once instead of just ripping them.

ucmj22

The problem people had with 3M was that they were supplying end-user ready graphics to an auto company completely bypassing sign or graphics shops. This is simply a story of a private business purchasing Avery products which they are then printing with their own graphics and using them to fill a product void. I personally find no problem with this.

jasonx

The problem people had with 3M was that they were supplying end-user ready graphics to an auto company completely bypassing sign or graphics shops. This is simply a story of a private business purchasing Avery products which they are then printing with their own graphics and using them to fill a product void. I personally find no problem with this.

I agree. Whats so different to companies that offer wraps for phones, laptops etc. This is just another extension. Avery haven't setup this company they are just supplying material like they do to the rest of us.

I've also seen toilet seat stickers and so forth and rubbish bin stickers.

We even do these for trade clients so its a good thing in my book.