• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m is offering wraps to endusers

JAKES GARAGE

I just read on www.myprintresource.com that 3M has purchased Original Wraps
of Golden Co. and will be entering the market as competition to us. I called my rep from Fellers and he called 3M and they confirmed they where going to offer wraps starting with auto dealers and working into main stream at a later time. Also they will be offering a superior warranty protection on the wraps since they will have control from the design to print and install. Please check with your provider for 3M's response.

JT / Jakes Garage

jiarby

That's ok... I'm gonna start mfg'ing my own vinyl. LOL

Good score for the Original Wraps guys... I hope they made a bunch of dough!

kmajid

That's incredible! Good for Original Wraps especially the CEO and i'm sure some others will stay on board but that doesn't seem right for them to enter the market like that. Or is this something that's not unusual in this industry?

Below is the release from NASDAQ.com, so definitely happened.

(RTTNews) - 3M Co. (MMM) Wednesday said it bought Original Wraps Inc., a Golden, Colorado-based company specializing in the creative business development, technology and design of personalization platforms for vehicles and vehicle accessories. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

The company added that Tom Stemple, president and chief executive officer of Original Wraps, would stay with the company.

BALLPARK

I am working on our new 3M price for our wraps projects. The price will increase enough to make the client want to use other brands.

Bad move from 3M, they will find out just like Levi Jeans did...don't mess with retail when you sell wholesale to the world.

Sure they have enough money to work through it, even with the worst of vinyl sales. But they will be getting less from us for sure!

I currently work with dealerships and trailer dealerships... So I am not a happy camper by any means right now with 3M.

I guess the next stop for them is to compete with JRA on all the Bud wraps, Pepsi wraps, Coke wraps. If that happens it should send a very loud message to every sign company. Stop selling 3M or they will take your clients. JRA uses 3M for every Bud wrap.

I do not care if they sale the cutout vinyl graphics (pin stripes or silly little designs), but if they start to sell wraps like some project. #@$@ them and I will just not offer their product. Sure they would not even feel it, but I think there are many others out there like myself that would rather avoid their products altogether if that happens.

BALLPARK

Looks like a great marketing opportunity for Oracal "We won't sell to your customers!"

No joke... I think every V.P. of Marketing for all brands other than 3M should start looking into some new marketing campaigns that exploit what 3M is doing.

Guys it is not like they started with a few good clients. They started with the biggest manufactures in the auto industry. I would think that within 12-18 months you will start to see new P.O.P. in dealership showrooms offering turnkey projects on your new vehicle and even worse FLEET PROJECTS!

If you do not do wraps, it will not effect you in the slightest bit. But if you offer wraps, chances are it will be hard to keep your larger clients that buy fleet vehicles.

Why don't 3M also buy out the sign company that handles ALL of Utility trailers wraps and graphics. They have 2 locations, 1 east coast, 1 west coast. They produce about 25-50 trailers with either full wraps or graphics every week at the location near me.

This sucks...

LarryB

Looks like a perfect time to try out Avery's wrap products. I've heard good things about Avery from a couple of installers.

MikePro

i am very open to switching brands, as well... 3M, you've made me very sad on this one. Go acquisition LumaBrite or something else more useful to your production side of the industry...

CheapVehicleWrap

Fret not. Original couldn't make it go anywhere. I bet they're both happy. Do you honestly think they're going to be giving these away?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also as pointed out in the other thread on this yesterday, you could always get on board with 3M on this and get setup as both a manufacturer (graphics printing company) and installer and maybe get some work out of the deal.

http://www.scotchprint.com

From what I've read on it in an email from 3M and looking at the website they do not plan on exclusivley handling all the printing and installations themselves.

HulkSmash

Also as pointed out in the other thread on this yesterday, you could always get on board with 3M on this and get setup as both a manufacturer (graphics printing company) and installer and maybe get some work out of the deal.

http://www.scotchprint.com

From what I've read on it in an email from 3M and looking at the website they do not plan on exclusivley handling all the printing and installations themselves.

they do outsource alot of stuff for install. but anything here, they contract out to certain free lancers. They install at their own shop which is a part of great big color

kylebrk

We've been using Arlon now and are VERY happy with it. The Avery product with 1.3 mil lam is a great product for complex curves. We wrapped a PT Cruiser with it and we satisfied.

3M can go get bent. My market is built on reputation and relationship. I'm not worried at all.

HulkSmash

We've been using Arlon now and are VERY happy with it. The Avery product with 1.3 mil lam is a great product for complex curves. We wrapped a PT Cruiser with it and we satisfied.

3M can go get bent. My market is built on reputation and relationship. I'm not worried at all.

Arlon......?

ill pass.

kstompaint

I'm betting I'd be on the losing end of that deal. I'm not willing to whore my shop out to 3M and let them take the bulk of the pie.

We had been using Oracal for the last several years. Recently, we went back to 3M and earlier today (before I read this post) we were discussing moving back to Oracal. This is the final straw, the next order will be for Oracal again.

I agree that all of the other brands should exploit this in their marketing. I have a friend who used to be a landscape contractor. He opened a business selling hardscape products and they made him sign a contract stating that he would not install the product. It's unfair competition at, best.