• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m is offering wraps to endusers

ericmitchell29

Problem being is that in my opinion and also from experience, 3M is consistently better and easier to work with over any other vinyl. But, thats just my opinion.

Its probably just a matter of preference though.

JAKES GARAGE

I plan on posting what 3M did on my website as well as bringing it to light with my customers about the predatory practice used by 3M. I won't lose work to 3M in the short term but I support and stand by those who will. I encourage everyone to let your customers know what has happened.

JT / JAKES GARAGE

kstompaint

Problem being is that in my opinion and also from experience, 3M is consistently better and easier to work with over any other vinyl. But, thats just my opinion.

Its probably just a matter of preference though.
We went from Oracal 3951 / 290 to 3M IJ180 V3 / 8519 and will be returning to Oracal on our next order. The 3M is easier to position and re-position, but outside of that I prefer the Oracal. Oracal air egress is way better.

Also, they're not trying to steal my customers.

phototec

We went from Oracal 3951 / 290 to 3M IJ180 V3 / 8519 and will be returning to Oracal on our next order. The 3M is easier to position and re-position, but outside of that I prefer the Oracal. Oracal air egress is way better.

Also, they're not trying to steal my customers.

+1 Oracal 3951 - 290

Tim Boxeth

Setting the record straight on 3M Original Wraps

Hi this is Tim Boxeth from 3M, and I'm really glad to be able to set the record straight on your very important concerns about 3M Original Wraps.

1. What’s going on in the automotive industry?
The automotive industry wants to offer factory authorized, personalized and special edition graphics as an accessory. This gives the graphics industry the opportunity by building a network of quality graphics manufacturers and installers.
2. What are the opportunities?
With the right process, the graphic can be rolled into the price of the vehicle. This will open up awareness of graphic availability to vehicle owners, increasing the likelihood they will purchase graphics, which will help you penetrate more of the vehicle graphics market.
3. How is 3M responding to this?
By building a business network for our GMs and installers at the automotive dealership level.
4. What is 3M Original Wraps?
They are a Web-based front end technology, business development and design company. They will not print or install. They manage a network of graphics manufacturers and installers for the automotive industry.
5. Will 3M original wraps be selling direct?
No. We are continuing to build a network of qualified graphics manufacturers and installers to support factory authorized graphics. As we expand this network we believe the demand for vehicle wraps will also increase, giving all of our partners substantial opportunity to grow their business.
6. Does 3M Original Wraps assign the GMs and installers?
The automotive dealerships are the ones that select the graphics manufacturer and installers they want to work with.
Through Scotchprint.com we are giving everyone an opportunity to establish themselves as a supplier to that automotive dealership.
7. Can I sign up?
YES! Go to Scotchprint.com.
8. I still have questions. Who can I talk to?
We invite you to contact Brent at bjpycz@mmm.com

HulkSmash

Hi this is Tim Boxeth from 3M, and I'm really glad to be able to set the record straight on your very important concerns about 3M Original Wraps.

1. What’s going on in the automotive industry?
The automotive industry wants to offer factory authorized, personalized and special edition graphics as an accessory. This gives the graphics industry the opportunity by building a network of quality graphics manufacturers and installers.
2. What are the opportunities?
With the right process, the graphic can be rolled into the price of the vehicle. This will open up awareness of graphic availability to vehicle owners, increasing the likelihood they will purchase graphics, which will help you penetrate more of the vehicle graphics market.
3. How is 3M responding to this?
By building a business network for our GMs and installers at the automotive dealership level.
4. What is 3M Original Wraps?
They are a Web-based front end technology, business development and design company. They will not print or install. They manage a network of graphics manufacturers and installers for the automotive industry.
5. Will 3M original wraps be selling direct?
No. We are continuing to build a network of qualified graphics manufacturers and installers to support factory authorized graphics. As we expand this network we believe the demand for vehicle wraps will also increase, giving all of our partners substantial opportunity to grow their business.
6. Does 3M Original Wraps assign the GMs and installers?
The automotive dealerships are the ones that select the graphics manufacturer and installers they want to work with.
Through Scotchprint.com we are giving everyone an opportunity to establish themselves as a supplier to that automotive dealership.
7. Can I sign up?
YES! Go to Scotchprint.com.
8. I still have questions. Who can I talk to?
We invite you to contact Brent at bjpycz@mmm.com

Did you just say they don't print? Then why did they purchase a 104 latex last summer? Actually i think they have 2. And why did i see it in their shop? You know - the one that's connected to GBC. Ive seen ORIGINAL WRAPS print wraps.

Why does Original Wraps call me every other week pretending to be a customer trying to find out pricing on my wraps? I mean if they only deal with dealerships why do they care?

Why are you making it sound like 3M and original wraps will NEVER go to mainstream wraps. A lot of our wraps are fleet wraps. Let me guess you're going to offer those too right off the bat when fleets are purchased, or even add it to a lease cost?

So your excuse to this is - it will make people more aware of wraps so it's a good thing for us?

no thanks.

BargainSigns

Tim, "Spin" it any way you want...this is BS!

It looks like you've been given the unenviable job of confirming this heap of horse manure. To suggest that this is "good" for YOUR current customers,the small and medium sign shop , borders on insulting. Most auto purchasers are not going to buy graphic "accessories", which 3M already knows.

3M will be taking 1/3rd of the profit of a wrap, the design work. How luxurious not to have to print or install the artwork you will have designed through your partnership. Who owns the design? Ummm hmmm. I'll betcha it's 3M. So if my customer also wants a pair of mags, site sign, etc with a similar design are they up a creek?

I do have some comfort in knowing that this scheme cannot begin to touch on decent turn around times or good customer service. Look at how 3M treats their CURRENT customers.

This lewd betrayal is heartbreaking.

Marianna

Last edited:

VIP Wrap

The way I see it now the kids that call all the time asking for information so they can do it themselves will save their breath, and your/our time.

Mainframe

So your customer is sitting at the dealership, buying a vehicle for replacement, he is told by the salesman he can purchase a wrap from them & it can be rolled into the payment. 3m designs it, the dealer chosen graphics company prints & installs it, (for a predetermined price) & I win?, So I get on board or I am out, do business the way they want me to & answer to them for pricing etc? This is garbage, they must think we are really stupid! No more 3m in my shop!

Craig Sjoquist

Way to funny..
Thank you 3M ...once again they prove America is at it's best... To find ways to sell there product on a large scale employing at a local level, with the least amount prime overhead.

CheapVehicleWrap

who is original wraps anyway??

They "were" originally a company who thought they could do what they thought would work...but recently sold out to a much larger company for chump change because they realized they got nowhere. This large company had NO choice but to purchase the dream for chump change and think they could make it work. small company does real well, large company writes it off. Think wraptivo.

CentralSigns

If your a Canadian installer your safe. Can't even register a sipload of bogus names at the scotchprint link. Whew I thought we were screwed as well.

On another note I thought Frod was being wrapped by Lo-One Company. They must have split the sheets cause the website shows that they 3M, are wrapping Fords, Nissans, and mini motoring graphics(whatever that is). Soon Ford will kick out 3M and go to bed with Avery, cause they can't decide who to go to bed with.

I will probably not purchase any more Ford products for the underhanded practices of cutting out small shops. I never, ever and will never buy a Nissan product.

GraphixUnlimited

wow... ok well i think 3M just lost my business... in what friggin world would I support my supplier selling to my customer hahahaha... morons

Thinking avery will be getting my biz from here on in!!!..

strypguy

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've had a few other large suppliers of mine sell directly to my customers. Pretty sad. One was a pinstripe supplier that actually sold products to my customers that they wouldn't sell to me, long story. Anyway, after a good a*# ripping they agreed to sell the stuff to me too. Alot of good that does now.

I feel like I'm slowing being pushed right out of business sometimes.

I've always used oracal vinyl and love it. I don't do much as far as wraps but the oracal has been a good product for me at a good price.

John

Robert M

Original Wraps

Hats off to the owners of Original Wrap, they started off making skins for cell phones in a small warehouse, now they are part of 3M.

Craig Sjoquist

Robert M Your exactly right Original Wrap came up with the logistics, 3M sees it and buys it, thats good business, 3M plans to help the CEO take it to the next level..Wish I came up with it ..? That's good business.

GraphixUnlimited

Called my rep about this this morning... waiting to hear back on details.

Really would be a shame if all this goes the way it sounds as i am truly happy with the product and my supplier but cannot reasonably support 3M in this endeavor considering this is something I already am doing without there influence!!!

Either sell me vinyl or be a sign shop, ya cant have both!