• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Prioritizing N95 Masks Overseas

Signed Out

Definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Understandably their supply chain of brokers makes this hard for them to wrangle but WTF, take care of your own in a time of crisis.

Thoughts?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The president had the power to stop this with the war powers act. I thought that was the whole point of enacting it?
The same thing is happening with ventilators.
IIRC 3m did just send the USA n95 respirators that were produced in Singapore.
Devils advocate says that 3m is a global company that already had standing orders placed. How would it look to the world if the United States forced them to halt existing orders to other countries or 3M canceled orders that are in the same position as we are in?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Everyone’s in the same position internationally. Scrambling for the scraps of PPE and ventilators.

I just hope next time there’s such a crisis the world is better prepared.

I do however feel (I’m from the UK, If that helps). That these items should be dealt out in the order that they were requested.

I can’t count the number of threads here complaining about the customer wanting a rush order because they left things too late, same principle applies here.

If only people of power had taken this seriously instead of saying it was a hoax..

Reveal1

Playing devil's advocate here. What if the Chinese practiced that? We would be totally sc***ed since we've outsourced most of our manufacturing and let them steal our technology and manufacturing processes, and even set those plants up for them, all to exploit cheap labor. 3M and its distributors are probably run by any number of 21st century globalists who have been educated to believe nationalism is evil and American patriotism is an outmoded ideal.

I would hope that the solution is somewhere in the middle; not turning our backs on other countries in need, but also being sure, as you said to take care of our own first. Hopefully that would be a voluntary thing and Americans would instinctively help others in need. Unfortunately the management of 3M apparently may need a government kick in the butt.

When this is over, hopefully many of those globalist, open border promoters out here will realize that brand of idealism has real-world consequences. To the extent practical, we should never be dependent on any other country for energy, food, water, medicine and raw materials. And when we do have trade for things we don't have, we should limit where possible to trade with friendly nations. China is not our friend.

Reveal1

The president had the power to stop this with the war powers act. I thought that was the whole point of enacting it?
The same thing is happening with ventilators.
IIRC 3m did just send the USA n95 respirators that were produced in Singapore.
Devils advocate says that 3m is a global company that already had standing orders placed. How would it look to the world if the United States forced them to halt existing orders to other countries or 3M canceled orders that are in the same position as we are in?
Agree it would not be good to cancel previous commitments The war powers act gives the govt authority to force domestic manufacturers to shift production to war time supply I.E Ford now making masks. (Did not mean to plagiarize your devils advocate comment in my previous post , guess I was typing while you were posting)

unclebun

I saw an article yesterday or the day before that some country (France maybe?) was complaining that the US commandeered a planeload of 3M masks destined for them, right on the tarmac in China.

rjssigns

American companies should do the right thing without being forced.

And people could start doing their part by staying home like they're supposed to. I think some people are treating it like some kind of holiday.

If I need further encouragement to stay at home I think of my neighbors brother with Covid19. Reduced to moving his eyes and will most likely die in the hospital.

This is real with no end in sight.

CanuckSigns

I saw an article yesterday or the day before that some country (France maybe?) was complaining that the US commandeered a planeload of 3M masks destined for them, right on the tarmac in China.

There are reports they did the same with a shipment of N95 masks on route to Canada, the plane was diverted to Ohio apparently, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Seems like a very short sighted move to steal from your neighbour and largest trading partner.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
There are reports they did the same with a shipment of N95 masks on route to Canada, the plane was diverted to Ohio apparently, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Seems like a very short sighted move to steal from your neighbour and largest trading partner.
That's brutal if it's true. The number of healthcare workers getting tested positive is increasing at an alarming rate. Here in Winnipeg there was concerns about 1 healthcare worker then next thing you know it's almost 100 that have to self-quarantine if I remember correctly. Not saying Canada should come before other countries, but if orders were in place and are getting hi-jacked that's just not right. It's ridiculous that these poor healthcare workers have to expose themselves every day with a lack of proper PPE.

CanuckSigns

Apparently there may have just been a mix up with the shipment, it's still not 100% confirmed if the masks are in Canada or the USA now.

However the US president has apparently ordered 3M to stop exporting masks to Canada and Latin America, however it turns out that the wood pulp used in the production of N95 masks is only produced in British Columbia, so if this is true it could become an issue for both countries. Again it's extremely shorts but not entirely suprizing these days.

rjssigns

What's the reason behind needing N95 rating? Heard the My Pillow guy is now making masks instead of pillows. I think 50000 a day? Can't be sure. Whatever the number it's a good thing.

CanuckSigns

What's the reason behind needing N95 rating? Heard the My Pillow guy is now making masks instead of pillows. I think 50000 a day? Can't be sure. Whatever the number it's a good thing.

I believe N95 relates to it filtering 95% of particles, because of the size of the virus this is needed to provide adequate protection. I assume my pillow is not making masks to this standard, but I may be wrong.

unclebun

An N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device designed to achieve a very close facial fit and very efficient filtration of airborne particles.

The 'N95' designation means that when subjected to careful testing, the respirator blocks at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) test particles. If properly fitted, the filtration capabilities of N95 respirators exceed those of face masks. However, even a properly fitted N95 respirator does not completely eliminate the risk of illness or death.

There are two reasons to wear a mask. One is to try to prevent breathing something in which would be harmful. That's why N95 masks are used in industry and medicine. The other is to prevent you from spraying respiratory droplets from your nose and mouth. This is the reason masks are worn in surgery. It will also be the reason why you will soon see a recommendation that people in coronavirus hotspots like New York City wear a mask when out in public. It's not, as the public generally believe, to protect the wearer from catching the virus. It's to keep the asymptomatic carriers or those in the prodrome phase of COVID-19 (who are extremely infectious according to reports) from inadvertently spreading the virus to others. This is why the general public will not need N95 respirators, but rather regular masks. A cotton or other fabric mask can serve this same purpose, and this is what you see most of the people sewing up masks making.

By the way, if you have a beard/mustache, it's going to have to go if you want an N95 respirator to do its job properly. N95 respirators have to seal against the skin.

Notarealsignguy

I believe N95 relates to it filtering 95% of particles, because of the size of the virus this is needed to provide adequate protection. I assume my pillow is not making masks to this standard, but I may be wrong.
95 is the efficiency the N is what it filters. The N designation will not catch oil particulates. AFAIK, these are considered respirators because they seal tight where masks do not. Masks will protect from liquids, splashes etc but not airborne particles. For painting we use P95OV which is strongly oil resistant, 95% and organic vapor.

Notarealsignguy

Id like to see the source of this and the other one. I find it pretty hard to believe. The internet is full of fake stuff.
You would have to alter flight plans mid air and fuel would be an issue since most planes are carrying a very closely calculated amount based on where they are going.

unclebun

Id like to see the source of this and the other one. I find it pretty hard to believe. The internet is full of fake stuff.
You would have to alter flight plans mid air and fuel would be an issue since most planes are carrying a very closely calculated amount based on where they are going.
https://www.thenational.ae/world/th...r-canada-and-germany-diverted-to-us-1.1001199

https://nationalpost.com/news/quebe...essential-medical-equipment-to-fight-covid-19
Legault downplayed a report in the Journal de Montreal about an order of 10,000 masks that went missing. A Quebec company imported the masks for use in the province, but they ended up in Ohio without explanation.

“We were talking about 10,000 masks, we don’t refuse any equipment, but, you know, 10,000 masks compared to our daily consumption, it’s a small amount,” he said. He added that Quebec is working with the federal government to ensure supplies needed in Canada are not diverted to the United States.

Notarealsignguy

https://www.thenational.ae/world/th...r-canada-and-germany-diverted-to-us-1.1001199

https://nationalpost.com/news/quebe...essential-medical-equipment-to-fight-covid-19
Legault downplayed a report in the Journal de Montreal about an order of 10,000 masks that went missing. A Quebec company imported the masks for use in the province, but they ended up in Ohio without explanation.

“We were talking about 10,000 masks, we don’t refuse any equipment, but, you know, 10,000 masks compared to our daily consumption, it’s a small amount,” he said. He added that Quebec is working with the federal government to ensure supplies needed in Canada are not diverted to the United States.
Did a quick look and there are others too, Berlin had some diverted in thailand during a plane transfer. Pretty crazy

rjssigns

An N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device designed to achieve a very close facial fit and very efficient filtration of airborne particles.

The 'N95' designation means that when subjected to careful testing, the respirator blocks at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) test particles. If properly fitted, the filtration capabilities of N95 respirators exceed those of face masks. However, even a properly fitted N95 respirator does not completely eliminate the risk of illness or death.

There are two reasons to wear a mask. One is to try to prevent breathing something in which would be harmful. That's why N95 masks are used in industry and medicine. The other is to prevent you from spraying respiratory droplets from your nose and mouth. This is the reason masks are worn in surgery. It will also be the reason why you will soon see a recommendation that people in coronavirus hotspots like New York City wear a mask when out in public. It's not, as the public generally believe, to protect the wearer from catching the virus. It's to keep the asymptomatic carriers or those in the prodrome phase of COVID-19 (who are extremely infectious according to reports) from inadvertently spreading the virus to others. This is why the general public will not need N95 respirators, but rather regular masks. A cotton or other fabric mask can serve this same purpose, and this is what you see most of the people sewing up masks making.

By the way, if you have a beard/mustache, it's going to have to go if you want an N95 respirator to do its job properly. N95 respirators have to seal against the skin.

Wow thanks for the explanation. I have a couple paper dust masks in the shop. If I need the heavy artillery I'll break out the auto paint respirators.

Also have the Miller LPR-100 welding respirator.
Nothing is getting through that. Funny story. I weld for an HVAC shop and basically on call. A few weeks ago I was welding, cutting, grinding while wearing the LPR-100. seems I smoked the workers out of their upstairs office. Boss came by and asked If I was done working. I said No. He said Go home anyway.

ikarasu

How much material from N95 production comes from USA?

I find it dumb that people think 3M should only make masks for USA. They are a global company, likely with more production shops outside of USA than within. Not to mention I'm doubtful any raw material from the N95 masks comes from USA itself - So thats fine... 3M Can stop selling masks to Canada, Canada will stop selling them the pulp needed to make the mask - I'm sure Canada can erect a N95 production facility just as fast as USA can begin processing their own pulp.

The economy of every country is intertwined - It's dumb that trump tried telling 3M They cant sell to Canadians when the masks arent even made in USA. Luckly 3M stood up and said due to humanitarian reasons they will keep selling to Canada and other countries.

Canada is one of US's biggest trade partners - Trying to force something like this, showing complete disregard for your neighbors is just another slap in the face from the current US administration. Worst than calling us a national security threat.

But trade wars is what trump seems to know, why not start another one during a pandemic... It might get focus off how hes handling this whole situation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ada-face-masks-supplies-doctors-a9446841.html

Last edited: