• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3rd party ink killed printhead?

Robert M

11 10

call grimco and see if they will warranty the inks, they did buy the rights to 11-10 which I understand is made by NAZDAR who is still around. Before doing anything I would check the shot count on your heads, if they are over the expected life no one is going to cover it.

Jack Knight1979

Dice.

I regretfully have first hand knowledge that Triangle won't cover anything.
I've had bad bottles of ink. I've had at least one head a year burn up from the inks. I didn't mind the cost of a head because of ink savings, but they still burned up.

When I called for warranty or tech support the guys at Triangle literally laughed at me in a conference call when I suggested problems with the ink.
Not professional at all.

They always blame, epson, roland, whoever. Their inks could NEVER, ever cause a problem.

The last straw was when I had magenta down for a month with bad ink. I replaced everything from 0-rings, lines, dampers, even took the cart needle out, replaced the head. Nothing fixed the problem. Yet Triangle insisted it was not the ink.

I eventually gave up. Bought a set of OEM inks. Flushed the system, replaced dampers and pumped in OEM ink.

Printed PERFECT.

You may not have a problem for a years or two, but when you do. Don't expect any assistance from Triangle.

It's too bad too because I did like they're ink durability. Solaris inks are not as tough, but also not as tough on the machine.

Solaris has a really deep red, which I could never get with Triangle.

Just my experience with them. Hopefully you never have a problem.

sfr table hockey

I have used the 11/10 inks for over a year and I have not had any major issues. I had heard too that they are now 20/20.

As far as smell goes, I think they are not an issue. I am not sure if they changed something before I bought mine but they don't have much odor.

I am using a converted CJ 500 so chips in the carts are not an issue. I did have problems getting 3 carts to set propper in the slot. They would not set in the last inch so I put in refill carts and filled them up from their carts.

I do find that the drain lines dry up easily and I just flush them once and a while with cleaning fluid and remove the blockage otherwise heads would fail and drop out but thats due to the drain lines being plugged.

As for color they were still off so regular profiles were not good for photo stuff. I needed to make my own profiles.

I have left the printer sit for over a week and come back and do a flush with the drain line and one cleaning and it's good to go. I never have had a head get blocked.

They seem as durable as OEM and overall I do not mine them.

However next batch of ink will now have to be something else.

mark in tx

Wow, so many problems listed.

I've been using Triangle inks on 2 different model Rolands and haven't had a problem for the past 4 years.

mark in tx

Jack, I don't remember the name of the system, but they are tanks that hang off the side of the machine, and pivot down to fill.

high impact

Dice.

I regretfully have first hand knowledge that Triangle won't cover anything.
I've had bad bottles of ink. I've had at least one head a year burn up from the inks. I didn't mind the cost of a head because of ink savings, but they still burned up.

When I called for warranty or tech support the guys at Triangle literally laughed at me in a conference call when I suggested problems with the ink.
Not professional at all.

They always blame, epson, roland, whoever. Their inks could NEVER, ever cause a problem.

The last straw was when I had magenta down for a month with bad ink. I replaced everything from 0-rings, lines, dampers, even took the cart needle out, replaced the head. Nothing fixed the problem. Yet Triangle insisted it was not the ink.

I eventually gave up. Bought a set of OEM inks. Flushed the system, replaced dampers and pumped in OEM ink.

Printed PERFECT.

You may not have a problem for a years or two, but when you do. Don't expect any assistance from Triangle.

It's too bad too because I did like they're ink durability. Solaris inks are not as tough, but also not as tough on the machine.

Solaris has a really deep red, which I could never get with Triangle.

Just my experience with them. Hopefully you never have a problem.

My experience with Triangle ink is almost an exact "DITTO". Color and bond is great BUT constant nozzle drop out. After i had to replace my second set of heads and found out Triangle ate the o-rings gone I replaced dampers, o-rings, flushed and switched back to roland - we were much happier even though the ink cost a little more. The time saved, profiling issues resolved and easier maintenance made it all worthwhile switching bask to OEM.

CanuckSigns

I don't know about anyone else, but my customers pay for my ink. I don't think the savings are worth the potential headaches, ink cost is such a small fraction of the cost of a sign. I know every penny counts, but I find it hard to believe that if my machine had an issue while I was using a 3rd party ink, the ink company and the printer manufacturer wouldn't just point the finger at each other.

FatCat

FWIW...

I recently experimented with Grimco's 20/20 ink with my Mutoh. The main reason I gave it a try was because Grimco offered a warranty on my head and ink train if the ink ever caused any problems. Ink was good, didn't have to do a complete flush - just plug and play, colors were virtually the same as OEM so no custom profiles needed. The one downfall was the inconsistency of the chips they were using. I was recently informed that Grimco will be discontinuing their 20/20 ink line for Mutoh, but again I was very pleased with the ink other than the chip issues.

Headhunterx

The factory's make these industrial printers with these little carts that cause us all problems (chips, bad carts, switching inks) but why don't they just make these industrial printers with Large refillable Ink Tanks reliable pumps, ink you can buy in bulk and lines that were large enough for good ink flow and a good price on OEM ink and none of us would have to try cheap $hit ink to save money and compete with the price cutters...... Rant over.

Richard

Gene@mpls

Wow, so many problems listed.

I've been using Triangle inks on 2 different model Rolands and haven't had a problem for the past 4 years.

Same here- refillable carts on a SP300V and bulk on a VP540- I love them-
not just cheaper but better. I can take a print hot off the printer and puddle
alcohol on it for a minute and scrub with a paper towel.

jc1cell

The factory's make these industrial printers with these little carts that cause us all problems (chips, bad carts, switching inks) but why don't they just make these industrial printers with Large refillable Ink Tanks reliable pumps, ink you can buy in bulk and lines that were large enough for good ink flow and a good price on OEM ink and none of us would have to try cheap $hit ink to save money and compete with the price cutters...... Rant over.

Richard

+1

benjercorp

Sometimes when you switch over to other inks is a must that you flush out the system because there might be a incomparability between chemicals, Sometimes you might get lucky but some other time people think that is the ink that mess it up the heads when in reality those printers are made for light solvent and not for MILD solvent...

by the way 20/20 from grimco is the same eleven10 inks is just that they bought the company....
I'm not sure if it was a wise decision....

Skye

20/20

Is 20/20 honoring 1110's warranty?

Clairity:
Has anyone been told by there Roland tech that there has been killed because of 3rd party ink?

Skye

jens

most 3rd party inks are hard solvents !, so mimaki and roland are only used for mild solvents... so some pieces are go mutch faster in defect.

MachServTech

scrub with a paper towel.

:banghead::frustrated::covereyes:

If you must do this use Contec lint free polywipes or similar. The alcohol saturated fibers from paper towel lint will damage and clog printheads.
Also anything less than 99% IPA will can cause damage to printheads when the water mixes with ink and the pigments fall out of solution. (much of the alcohol in drugstores is mixed with up to 30% water) . Use 100% acetone if possible.

CS-SignSupply

I think Gene was referring to the durability of the ink on the media by "scrubbing it with a paper towel". Not the printhead.