• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4 ft x 8 ft commercial real estate sign

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I think that is why this place is called Signs101

ya, for sign people to get together and learn from each other, not for people to learn how to be a sign person...

vinyl won't stick to my crappy plywood sign I just painted with latex, doesn't quite cut the mustard

Johnny Best

Also, you're simplifying the difference between plywood and MDO. MDO's paper overlay is specifically designed to add durability in exterior use. It's not just for a smooth surface.
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

MDO,(Medium Density Overlay) it's smooth surface was designed for the sign industry and concrete form making for heavy exterior use and that is why the smooth paper resin overlay. Years ago for signpainters who needed a smooth finish to letter on, it was great for holding up outside, but not anymore since ACM is so much better to use in the elements and lighter to carry and move.

visual800

first off why are yall wasting your time with MDO when you could slap it on some 1/2" pvc or better than that 1/2" coro. We get asked for "plywood" from time to time and tell them we simply do not use it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
first off why are yall wasting your time with MDO when you could slap it on some 1/2" pvc or better than that 1/2" coro. We get asked for "plywood" from time to time and tell them we simply do not use it.

Perhaps, according to where the OP is located, he can't use 1/2 PVC. Around our parts, if we get a few cold days in a row, something like that will snap in 2, if something hits it like a snowball or whatnot. In the summer, a 4' x 8' would warp too much and look wonkie. 1/2" MDO is about the most stable thing you can use for the cost. Cor-X will just turn to paper in a year or two and can't be reused. Not a worthwhile substrate for a sign shop doing long term signs.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've used MDO twice and it was because it was requested by another sign shop. I didn't like it because it was heavy and more expensive. I've been using bebond premium because It's light and I can install it without a helper. I use a few horizontal 2x4's because if not it will tear off. I've have a sign I installed 11 years ago and it's still up, although the letters are faded on one side. ( most of the signs I made with this style the customers take down within a year or two because of temperary application).

Vinyldog

I only use the Chloroplast for underwater swimming pool signage. Looks great and keeps the water clear.

Also, you're simplifying the difference between plywood and MDO. MDO's paper overlay is specifically designed to add durability in exterior use. It's not just for a smooth surface.

I was going to say about the same thing. That MDO paper is impregnated in waterproof resin so the panel's faces are waterproof whether it's even painted or not. Although exterior grade plywood plies are glued with waterproof resin, as far as I know there is no waterproof coating applied to the faces. It's assumed that most exterior grade plywood will either be finished with paint or sealer or will be covered with a waterproof barrier.

Last edited:

OldPaint

wow......iam just amazed.......what some people are doing in this business............but ya got start somewhere. i remember ddarlak when he started here))))))
1. REAL ESTATE SIGN....... FOR HOW LONG will it be needed??? most are TEMP SIGNS so why make it expensive.
2. you ever seen or used 10 mil CORO???? comes in different color, no paint needed, sick vinyl all day long, will be good for 6-8 months for sure.
3. SINGLE SIDE OR DOUBLE....... SINGLE SIDE you could use 6 mm ALUMICORE....
4. you cant paint, and are only stickin vinyl..........BUT YOU CANT USE PLAIN OLD PLY WOOD........and cheap arse house paint....and expect it to work))))

ams

Please tell me you aren't buying Plywood from Lowe's, painting it and trying to put vinyl on it.
The best wood based sign material for post and panel is Lusterboard or NuAlum. It's 1/2" exterior grade plywood in the middle with aluminum on both sides.