• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

40" laminator recomendations???

dirttoo

I have a new Minaki CJV and I am wanting a laminator. I am currently using a Big Squeege with success on 4' long prints but ruining 11' long prints. My printer is only 40" so I only want a laminator similar sized because of limited room in my basement. I have searched on here and not finding much on the smaller laminators. I am looking at 2 Royal Sovereign models. The RSC-1050CL at about $4000 or the RSH-1050N at a little over $8000 but there is a used one about an hour from me for $3500. I see nobody mention the two models and I'm wondering if these are good for printed decals/racecar wraps? If anybody has any better suggestions in the $4000 and under range please let me know. Thanks

rjssigns

We run a 65" Royal Sovereign. It does a great job. I would like to get a smaller lam and have been intrigued by US TECH. Several members have them and they seem to run well.

2B

Would suggest getting the biggest width you can, a minimal 54" if you ever upgrade your printer and it is easier to get the 54" material.

US TECH is getting good reviews

Gene@mpls

+1 on RS- I had the hot/cold 41 (or 42?) version and never used the heat.
Now have a cold 55" and love it.

Salmoneye

Wait a minute, I love my laminator but tell us how you are ruining your 11' prints with the BS? I could laminate those all day long with a BS. Just thinking it might be better to correct the technique. What type of material/type of lam/type and size of table you use/ type of BS? Also, doesn't someone have a small laminator like that listed in the classifieds here?

dirttoo

Wait a minute, I love my laminator but tell us how you are ruining your 11' prints with the BS? I could laminate those all day long with a BS. Just thinking it might be better to correct the technique. What type of material/type of lam/type and size of table you use/ type of BS? Also, doesn't someone have a small laminator like that listed in the classifieds here?

I'm sure my problem is with my bench. It was 4'x8' and I added 4'x4' to make 4'x12' and added a full size cutting mat. I just found that the old bench has a sway from front to back being about 3/16" low in the middle. Using the Big Squeege on the new flat end works perfect but when I get to the old part the laminate gets a tunnel between it and the vinyl. Sounds lik an easy fix and I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I still would like to have the laminator. I need about a 40" to match my printer. I have no room to upgrade to a larger printer unless I move to a storefront location. I will worry about that when the time comes.

Salmoneye

I laminate 11' on an 8' table, I seem to be able to stop and roll the finished product and pull the whole mess with the BS laminator just laid down on the material in place and start right where I left off. I do however use a glass table top that is about 3/4" thick and that certainly helps. I still laminate this way for anything less than a full 54" wide as I don't use backing paper on my laminator.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We purchased a 54" GFP about 4 months ago, has been working flawlessly. I would also recommend going ahead with a 54" laminator; for when you will possibly upgrade your printer. You can run the 40" rolls on it for now, and then switch over to 54" later. It's only a couple more feet of space, and I think we purchased ours for around $6000, plus it has heat assist!

petesign

Would suggest getting the biggest width you can, a minimal 54" if you ever upgrade your printer and it is easier to get the 54" material.

I have a royal sovereign 54" cold lam, works great. Wouldnt go back to the daige if you paid me. The seal 54el is also a good laminator, buy a 54" .. you will outgrow a 40 - and REGRET you didnt buy a bigger one in a year or two when you have to shell out another 6 grand.

dirttoo

I have had good luck with my US Tech laminator. I don't think there is any connection with them and US Cutter.

This is good to know. I have been leveling and shimming my bench so the Big Squeege should work now. I will try it later today. I will also check out the US Tech laminators. I really don't think I could even get a 53" in my basement. The installers for my printer hired a moving company to put it in my basement. There is a tight corner at the top of my stairs that took some pushing to get the printer by.