• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

46" lcd flatscreen for a monitor?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't even 1080p monitors have a fairly low resolution compared to larger computer monitors? My 30" resolution is 1600x2860, the resolution of 1080p is 1920x1080, almost 50% fewer pixels. So wouldn't that mean that while the screen is substantially larger, there will either be lost detail or clarity or what is actually displayed will just be magnified (a 1" tall icon on my screen would be 2" tall but lower quality on a HDTV screen)?

not sure, this is my main concern, will i be losing quality by going with a 46" lcd?

i like the idea that with a 46. i could have 4 windows opened up, 1 in each corner. it would be like having 4 of my 21"s 2 stacked on top of the 2 i have already. sweet!!! but i am not willing to lose quality or resolution to get it.

Letterbox Mike

Again, I may be wrong, but I'm almost positive you will lose quality, the maximum resolution, while high for TV, is awfully low for computer monitors. Not sure how much you're spending on the 46", but you might consider two side-by-side 30" monitors. I think the Dell 30" that I have is down to about $1200 or so now, and I'm sure you can find better deals than that if you really shop around. Would probably end up being a bit more than a single 46" TV, but that would be an overwhelming crapload of desktop! On a single 30", you can easily place two programs side-by-side with plenty of room to work (although I promise you once you can do that you never will, it's awful nice to have a huge photoshop spread laid out in front of you).

well like i said i like the idea that with a 46 i could have 4 windows opened up, 1 in each corner. it would be like having 4 of my 21"s 2 stacked on top of the 2 i have already. sweet!!! but i am not willing to lose quality or resolution to get it.

rcook99

Ok I have to ask, I currently run and DELL XPS that is about 1year old and wonder what I would need to set it up with an extra monitor as I already have 1 22" and would like to add a second. The one that is currently used is hooked up HDMI. Do I have to change out the video card to have two HDMI ports? Also when doing this does the card give you the ability to move from monitor to monitor? Thanks for the help.

Letterbox Mike

Yup, you need a video card that supports multiple monitors. If you have two identical monitors side-by-side you'll want one with dual DVI or HDMI ports. Then you can move things around or arrange the monitors as needed, the display properties dialog lets you do all of this.

First off both screens must be identical, and yes you need to have a dual output video card. After you do this you can drag your mouse back and forth from both screen. Can you add a new video card to your pc?

Letterbox Mike

HDMI and DVI are identical quality wise. Most computer monitors are DVI, most TVs are HDMI. I'd stick with DVI, more widely available.

Letterbox Mike

both screens don't necessarily have to be identical. I was running a 17" and a 20" side-by-side before I went to a single 30". If you want them to make one continuous screen, then yes it will look better if they're identical though.

rcook99

Kustomsigndesign
Can you add a new video card to your pc?

Yes I can add a new card to my computer as I believe I have 2 slots not being used on my Dell XPS 410. How much am I looking at for a new card? I notice that the current card I have installed has two plugs on the current video card but they are not the same plug.

well it depends on the type of slot you have available in your case. Its probably a PCI express x1. Sorry but good luck finding one of those with dual DVi outs.

TShirtJohn

true that my screen res is only 1920 x 1080 but I honestly don't see many issues with it and heck it's saving me the money right now till I can actually buy a decent screen to run it on as I've got the 40" sitting here anyway

sarge

i am wondering if i have a digital and an analog port on my video card if i can run dual monitors

BRUSHMARKS

u might have 1 VGA and 1 HDMI very standard on computers a few years old. u can get an adapter to turn the HDMI into a VGA. i just got a new xps from dell went with the best upgrade video card for 250 extra has 2- HDMI plugs and 1- S video. also they sent 2 adapters to turn VGA cables into the HDMI.