• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x8 Pan Faces

kcollinsdesign

Old member
$3843.00 vacuum formed and back sprayed with 2 colors plus background color, installed with bucket truck or scaffolding, I hr. site survey.
Plus permit (cost)
Plus permit secular fee ($95.00)
Plus any design fee

Outsourced faces (shipped to my door): $1642.00
Contract installation, licensed, insured and bonded: $350.00
Gross profit: $1628.00

Gross profit: $1841.00
Overhead: $768.00
My time ($85.00/hr): $425.00
Net profit: $648.00 (approx. 17% profit).

The business will make $648 plus $425 for my labor, which could be seen as 248% profit. Plus I estimated overhead at 20% of total cost, which might be about right for a full service shop, but my overhead actually runs closer to 5% because I work from home, share a shop space with another contractor (who does most of my installs), and have no employees and very little fabrication or installation equipment expenses. If I can do something like this once a week, I can make $3k - $5k a month (after COG and overhead), and add about 10 hrs a week of commercial design work, I can afford to take $55k out a year for "pay", and sock another $25k in the bank. Modest ambitions, perhaps, but I enjoy the freedom and the lack of liability, plus it gives me extra time when bigger projects come along (I try to limit myself to a 35 hour work week, life's too short).

Last edited:

Emd2kick

This thread is great and I agree with everyone but the OP. But the OP did get it right about ddarlak’s logo.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
this thread is 3 years old... wonder how the job went for him... Must be a wiz if he can setup scaffolding and ladders and have the faces swapped out in an hour... it takes me an hour just to get to the point when I can start going up in the bucket, plus another 30 mins to strap on my safety harness... i've put that thing on a total of 1000+ times in my life and I still get confused where to start with that jumbled mess when I pull it out of the truck o_O

sometimes i get lucky and I'm in and out in a few hours... more often I'm there for half a day cause somethin' didn't fit right or I have to fight a panel to come out, fight it going in on dirty tracks, or I'm hunting down the owner of a car parked in the way, or I spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to park the truck and bucket in the best position, get all setup and attempt to lift-off, only to realize there is a pole or utility lines in the way and I have to start the whole process over again...:(

btw, i'm I the only one that will spend a good amount of time making sure i have all the tools i need in the bucket, lift off with a sign, position the sign, level it and start to drill the first hole, then realize i left the fasteners on the ground?:mad:

Last edited: