• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x8 post and panel install. Concrete or not?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We did get some decent rain. Still sitting water in some spots. Lucky. Just about a week ago we had to water some holes for a few hours just to finish the last 18 inches with an auger.

I went to survey the area this morning to put in a dig ticket...and the ground was soft! You guys did get some good rain lately! There are other areas where the dirt is still like concrete

I forgot to mention earlier, we use concrete as long as it's a permanent sign. One bag for 4 x 4 posts and 2 bags for 6 x 6 posts. Dump the concrete in around the post and back fill with dirt. Let the ground moisture take care of the rest.

We have red clay and strong dirt. But I still don't see how 6X6's look better. Are you building an entire framing system? or just using brackets and putting between the posts?

Personally, I just think bigger posts look better and I'd imagine others here would agree with that as well. For one thing, it gives the overall sign more dimension and again I'd rather have signs that don't look like every other generic sign out there on 4 x 4 posts. You can do a lot more with 6 x 6 posts, like add dimensional trim and moldings and have a wider selection of finials. 4 x 4's are okay for some things like smaller signs and temporary signs, but for a 4 x 8, I'd recommend 6 x 6 posts all day every day just for aesthetics, let alone the fact that they are much stronger. We seldom use brackets between posts. We either use cross bars, or a framework that fits the entire sign. Occasionally, we've also been known to sandwich 3/4" painted MDO between two 1/8" ACM panels and slot the posts to fit the panel.

ams

All post and panels I do is for realtors and they want cheap of the cheap, no accents, trim, moldings, nothing. Throw away when done.
If it's a permanent sign for a business, I only use powder coated steel or aluminum posts.