• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

540v Ink drops and weird smudge

bdawg8527

I am getting some ink drops on my prints and a weird smudge on my prints. I just did a manual cleaning a few days ago and it printed fine until now. Never experienced this before. The cleaning fixed it for a few days but it came back and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before i clean again.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_11682.jpg
    IMG_11682.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 121

rjssigns

You have a piece of fuzz hitching a ride on one of the heads causing the droplets. That is why your manual cleaning fixed it the first time. We make sure to clean often, and always before big jobs. the weird smudge may be from ink getting somewhere it isn't supposed to be and transferring by contact.

Dave L.

Ink Drips

You may have air getting into your line near the dampers, or an excess of ink built up on the print head. It looks like when the momentum of the carraige stops, the ink falls in a uniform spot.

Replace Sponge/Captops would be the first thing i would do since it should be done regularly anyway. Then i would syringe a little ink through the cap hoses and listen for any air being sucked in around the heads. The fittings around the dampers where the ink hoses connect have o-rings that may warp and allow air through.

I would not fiddle around in the head area and enlist a tech if you have not had experience with repairs. A simple repair can become expensive with a slip-up or unseated cable. Hope this helps.

petepaz

manual cleaning, replace the sponge should do the trick. also check for any hairs or pieces of fuzz hanging.

petepaz

there should be a sponge approx 2.5" square that the ink heads flush into (not far from the capping stations. the lay out on my rolands are capping stations to the right then moving left wipers and then the sponge)and that needs to be replaced from time to time also it can get hairs or fuzz stuck to it that can get caught on the print heads and cause droplets or smudges

studebaker

Deluded Artist
RJS Signs is right! There is fuzz on the leading and trailing edges of your print head. Wet a thick / folded quality paper towel with "Flushing fluid" and lower the head onto it... Let it sit that way for 60 seconds and then slowly withdraw the towel, (with the printhead in the low position). Repeat as necessary. Cleaning accomplished. For 64" Mutoh's simply clean the fore and aft sides of the printhead with a cleaning swab. NOT A Q-TIP!

Crud builds up in these areas especially if you use a velcro band to keep your rolls of vinyl closed.

bdawg8527

I feel stupid. Someone else had turned the heater settings off on the machine to do cut stuff. The heater and dryer were only at 96. Thanks for the help though and thankfully it was a cheap fix.

phototec

I feel stupid. Someone else had turned the heater settings off on the machine to do cut stuff. The heater and dryer were only at 96. Thanks for the help though and thankfully it was a cheap fix.

Thanks for coming back here and letting us know the resolve, so many times the poster never replys with the result, and just leaves us hanging...

Glad it worked out for you...:rock-n-roll: