Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6" high, 1/4" thick acrylic letters on aluminum cladding

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by White Haus, Jul 14, 2020.

1. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Quoting a small simple project for a new customer.

6" tall, 1/4" thick acrylic letters, overall length around 126".

I'm either going with Gemini or just routing in-house depending on when if/when we get the order.

For something like that, would you guys feel comfortable going with anything other than mechanical fasteners (studs)?

I'm tempted to just do VHB / adhesive but every Gemini job we've done, we've always gone with studs w/ silicone etc.

It's 8' off the ground so could make for a nice easy install w/o studs, but obviously want to do it properly.

Thank you, sign gods!

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    That wouldn't be a very heavy letter. Is it all upper case or mixed ?? Reason being, some letters in lower case might not have enough area for tape to work properly. You might need schmooze. Can you use 1/8" ??

3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    What is the wall surface material?

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You say aluminum cladidng, so is it ribbed? If it is you could consider rail mounting. If it's smooth I'd be fine w/VHB & lexel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    At 6" tall, tape would be ideal, depending on exterior or interior and of course, ribbed vs acm cladding (which I'd assume it is). You could go either VHB or laminate 467mp then route, skipping tape.
    We recently did a whole mess of work, 5 buildings, 10 interior sets, it was a whole clusterfck from the get go as we had to pick signs up from another company who cancelled install. In any case, the company that fabbed the signs and sold the job, did not put any vhb tape on the 10 interior sets. My guys racked up $1,500 in extras just adding tape and cutting patterns over the course of a week for this out of town install. Each set had 31 4" tall letters, minimum of 2 pieces of tape each, applied by guys who can't stick vinyl to save their lives. So to anybody reading this, cut your own damn patterns and apply your own damn vhb tape.

7. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Hey guys, thanks for the tips.

Sorry, I completely forgot to include the part that it is an exterior install. All upper case letters.

Would be mounted flat to aluminum cladding no no ribs/corrugations to worry about.

Pic attached of install location. (Previous letters and cladding has been replaced already)

Attached Files:

8. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    That looks rough

9. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Weeeaaallllll... why did the other install company cancel the job?

10. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    The area, or the install surface? lol

11. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    That sounds brutal. I would have just ordered w/ letters and patterns! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Never got a clear answer, but I think it was a scheduling conflict on a job that didn't get a firm install date until it was too late. We just happened to have the availability. It was awful, some of the letters on the smallest exterior sign were 30" tall 3/8" painted clear acrylic with studs threaded into them. That part was all just fine, but the background was 1/8" aluminum, no frame, so they cut holes for the studs, put silicone on the letter, pressed them to the panel, and flush cut the studs. This may have worked, shy of the fact that the silicone never touched the background in places and letters fell off in the damned crate!

13. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Is it smooth and clean?

14. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Ish. I think I'll base the Gemini & labor on using studs just in case, and if we can get away with just VHB/lexel maybe we can save a couple of bucks.

15. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Shaped like a pan? I had one similar but the company that sent it to me had me install the letters for fear of them getting damaged in transit.

16. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I don't think it would save more time doing that VS drilling. You still have to setup the pattern and peel all the liner off the letters. I like the security of studs on outdoor signs. Studs and Lexal are my prescription.

17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Agreed. That plus it takes longer, in my opinion at least, to produce the pattern, mount the tape, place the letters (I find most folks are nervous as hell when putting these up, because you're trying to keep the lower case e straight and in the right place and not let the pattern stick to the tape and someone is staring at you), plus, why chase down all those little lengths of tape backer around the parking lot when you could use that fancy vacuum setup?
    Just cut the letters backwards, make 1/16" deep dimples for stud locations, get pads and some channelbond and just drop the pads on the glue covered dimples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Fair enough, that's a good point. Some of those VHB liners are a real b*tch to peel too.

19. White Haus

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Thanks, will definitely be playing around with this soon. Summa/router will be up and running next week and will do some trial runs.

Any tips for making your own patterns?

I think for this one I'll just base it on Gemini and see if we get the job.

20. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Put it on Tyvek paper. I got a roll from Uline and that stuff is great in the field.