• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6" high, 1/4" thick acrylic letters on aluminum cladding

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If you decide to stud mount, you'll need to drill the holes slightly larger than the standard 3/16" (assuming the typical 10-24 studs are used)....otherwise the studs will bind up and get to a point where you can't get them in and can't get them out.

BobM

I have relied on Gemini products and patterns with stud mounts for the last 5 years. Only once in those 5 years did I have a problem which they fixed in no time to my complete satisfaction. My time is better used selling and installing Gemini products than trying to compete with their outstanding production and pricing.

signbrad

Acrylic cutout letters should be mounted with studs and glue blocks. That has been the industry "best practice" for a long time. This job has the added problem—really the main problem—of dissimilar materials—acrylic and metal cladding. Dissimilar material is often a cause of adhesive failure, regardless of weight. A mechanical fastener is the only really reliable installation method outdoors.

You may get away with adhesive only—modern adhesives are better than in the past—but how much time will you really save? If one letter falls, a single return trip negates any savings. And if one letter falls, there are sure to be more.

On the other hand, I'm all for experimentation. That's how discoveries are made. But I prefer that others do the experimenting. ;)

Brad in Kansas City

MikePro

imho, there's no weight to a 6" .25" letter.... studs are overkill if its a pita to get setup properly, as there's not much material to tap-into and any pads you glue to the backside will now require standoff, which requires a 3rd stud or a stable spacer to keep the letter from tipping out of square with the rest of the set.

VHBtape plus silicone adhesive would be my plan of attack, which gives great flexibility in the bond between dissimilar materials.